Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-29-2012, 05:56 AM   #1
Brutal SS

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Unhappy Black Billet Grille Turns Chalky?

Just a quick question here... My black billet grille has turned chalky grey, and I don't wanna have to paint it if I don't have to. Anyone have any suggestions as to what will prevent this from happening or what to do about it when it does short of painting or plastidipping? Or are those my best/only options?
Old 05-29-2012, 07:44 AM   #2
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
Do you have a picture?
Also, if your grill is black and you havent tried it yet, Adams "In and Out Spray" works wonders on things like vents and grills, particularly in tight spots. It may be that you're getting water spots in between the vents that dry up and appear grey but are really just water spots. The In and Out Spray will make it look like new in about 10 seconds.

Its probably a good idea to give it a good drying (leaf blower) next wash to test out the theory, but in In and Out Spray is a "must have" (IMO) for what you've discribed.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:46 AM   #3
WiSSDiver

Fyi

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-131-a...r-cleaner.aspx
Old 05-29-2012, 12:05 PM   #4
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutal SS View Post
Just a quick question here... My black billet grille has turned chalky grey, and I don't wanna have to paint it if I don't have to. Anyone have any suggestions as to what will prevent this from happening or what to do about it when it does short of painting or plastidipping? Or are those my best/only options?
Is it painted? If it is painted and it has turned chalky it is do the oxidation (the same as how older cars turned chalky).

A mild paint cleaner should clean it up, and then coat with a wax to restore the look.

I would look at BLACKFIRE Total Polish N Seal, it features cleaners, polishing agents, and a durable paint sealant in one product. It will restore the look and protect it in one easy step.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/black...lish-seal.html
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:58 PM   #5
Brutal SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpomeroy View Post
Do you have a picture?
Also, if your grill is black and you havent tried it yet, Adams "In and Out Spray" works wonders on things like vents and grills, particularly in tight spots. It may be that you're getting water spots in between the vents that dry up and appear grey but are really just water spots. The In and Out Spray will make it look like new in about 10 seconds.

Its probably a good idea to give it a good drying (leaf blower) next wash to test out the theory, but in In and Out Spray is a "must have" (IMO) for what you've discribed.
I don't have a picture of it since it has turned chalky, only after it was newly installed. Thank you for your feedback! I will definitely consider this option!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd@Autopia View Post
Is it painted? If it is painted and it has turned chalky it is do the oxidation (the same as how older cars turned chalky).

A mild paint cleaner should clean it up, and then coat with a wax to restore the look.

I would look at BLACKFIRE Total Polish N Seal, it features cleaners, polishing agents, and a durable paint sealant in one product. It will restore the look and protect it in one easy step.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/black...lish-seal.html
I am not sure if black billet is made painted or not, but yes, the chalky appearance seems to be what you would expect an oxidized metal to look like. Thank you for your feedback! I will definitely consider this option as well!

This forum is so awesome! Helpful advice at the punch of some keys!
Old 09-16-2012, 12:37 AM   #6
Brutal SS

Sorry for the delayed response, but after trying a billet polish, (which made it look even worse) I decided to go with my last resort; remove the grille and paint it and it solved the problem!

Now it looks as good as the day I bought it! Thanks everyone for your advice and insights! Camaro5 fam is unmatched for collaborative tech support!
Old 09-16-2012, 10:40 AM   #7
WiSSDiver

Old 09-17-2012, 09:30 AM   #8
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Quote:
Sorry for the delayed response, but after trying a billet polish, (which made it look even worse) I decided to go with my last resort; remove the grille and paint it and it solved the problem!

Now it looks as good as the day I bought it! Thanks everyone for your advice and insights! Camaro5 fam is unmatched for collaborative tech support!
Glad to here about the positive result. Billet will always be shiny aluminum colored. If it was black, then it was either powercoated or painted, so the billet polish wouldn't have worked well.
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:44 PM   #9
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
A short term solution is to use a quality water based trim dressing... a lot of guys will use this on matte black painted or pc'd wheels to even the coloring out when it gets chalky.

A little of our Super VRT on a sponge, wipe onto the surface, then buff off excess with a dry microfiber. It leaves you with a nice dark black, that isn't greasy and will stay that way for at least a few washes.

You definitely went the better route with pulling and painting as that will be a longer term solution.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:29 AM   #10
Brutal SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd@Autopia View Post
Glad to here about the positive result. Billet will always be shiny aluminum colored. If it was black, then it was either powercoated or painted, so the billet polish wouldn't have worked well.
I don't know that much about (black) billet, but I did learn that which ever way it was, it didn't hold up very long to normal conditions. If I ever bought anything like this again, I would be tempted to just paint it out of the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
A short term solution is to use a quality water based trim dressing... a lot of guys will use this on matte black painted or pc'd wheels to even the coloring out when it gets chalky.

A little of our Super VRT on a sponge, wipe onto the surface, then buff off excess with a dry microfiber. It leaves you with a nice dark black, that isn't greasy and will stay that way for at least a few washes.

You definitely went the better route with pulling and painting as that will be a longer term solution.
I almost went this route, but it got so bad so quick, I couldn't wait any longer. I do thank you all for offering several possible solutions.

Last edited by Brutal SS; 09-19-2012 at 12:43 AM.
Brutal SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:36 AM   #11
Blk-Ice
750HP of Twisted Reaper!

Drives: Blk 2SS/Blk Carb Fibr NS-1 stripes
Quote:
I don't know that much about (black) billet, but I did learn that which ever way it was, it didn't hold up very long to normal conditions. If I ever bought anything like this again, I would be attempted to just paint it out of the box.

I almost went this route, but it got so bad so quick, I couldn't wait any longer. I do thank you all for offering several possible solutions.
So you went with Gloss black paint or what? Any special brand of paint? I'm asking because Im having the same issue.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:42 AM   #12
Brutal SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk-Ice View Post
So you went with Gloss black paint or what? Any special brand of paint? I'm asking because Im having the same issue.
Yes, gloss black enamel paint; no special brand, really. After removing the grille, get like a fine grit sandpaper, like 800 - 1000, and scuff it, and then hit it with several coats. Should come out prestine!
Old 09-19-2012, 01:04 AM   #13
Blk-Ice
750HP of Twisted Reaper!

Drives: Blk 2SS/Blk Carb Fibr NS-1 stripes
Quote:
Yes, gloss black enamel paint; no special brand, really. After removing the grille, get like a fine grit sandpaper, like 800 - 1000, and scuff it, and then hit it with several coats. Should come out prestine!
Cool, I will def take your advice!
Old 09-19-2012, 01:07 AM   #14
Brutal SS

Quote:
Quote:
Cool, I will def take your advice!
Let me know how it turns out. You'll feel so much better after you've painted and re-installed it.

It does suck to have to do it though. You would think things like this would hold up for years, not weeks.

Tags
black billet, chalky, grill, grille, white