Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 06-10-2015, 11:30 AM   #1
Orange 2010 Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
H-E Offset Differential Bushing Install Photo's

Ok guys, I finished up installing the new Ride Tech Level 2 Coil Over suspension on the 2010 SS a short while back, & after lowering it TWO full inches the angles of the axle shafts were down right scary!

The good news is that Thomas Hendrix from Hendrix-Engineering saw a thread I posted regarding the excessive axle shaft angles &called to let me know that he had just released a NEW product that would RAISE the REAR differential up to help correct for the now excessive axle shaft angles from lowering the car past 1.5 in.

The soft rubber OEM Factory Diff. bushings are replaced with Delrin & the bolt holes are offset approx. .625 or 5/8 of an inch from the center of the factory bushings.

This offset hole location makes a HUGE difference in the AXLE SHAFT ANGLES & allows the Camaro owner to lower the Camaro a full TWO inches if desired & GREATLY lessens the chance of axle shaft failures.

The Delrin bushings also almost completely eliminated the wheel hop that I was getting as well. The offset Delrin bushings that I purchased from Hendrix- Engineering has been the BEST & SMARTEST $150.00 I have spent on the Camaro thus far.

Also Thomas is a straight up, what you see is what you get kind of guy! If you call him & have to leave a message, YOU WILL get a call back in a VERY short time!

Attached are a few photo's of the install. Yes I did ALL the work myself.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

All The Best,

Orange 2010 Camaro
Attached Images

Orange 2010 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:31 PM   #2
kyle@ridetech.com

Drives: 1969 SS/RS Camaro
So these are the bushings you were telling me about yesterday.... Car looks awesome!
kyle@ridetech.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:47 PM   #3
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange 2010 Camaro View Post
Ok guys, I finished up installing the new Ride Tech Level 2 Coil Over suspension on the 2010 SS a short while back, & after lowering it TWO full inches the angles of the axle shafts were down right scary!

The good news is that Thomas Hendrix from Hendrix-Engineering saw a thread I posted regarding the excessive axle shaft angles &called to let me know that he had just released a NEW product that would RAISE the REAR differential up to help correct for the now excessive axle shaft angles from lowering the car past 1.5 in.

The soft rubber OEM Factory Diff. bushings are replaced with Delrin & the bolt holes are offset approx. .625 or 5/8 of an inch from the center of the factory bushings.

This offset hole location makes a HUGE difference in the AXLE SHAFT ANGLES & allows the Camaro owner to lower the Camaro a full TWO inches if desired & GREATLY lessens the chance of axle shaft failures.

The Delrin bushings also almost completely eliminated the wheel hop that I was getting as well. The offset Delrin bushings that I purchased from Hendrix- Engineering has been the BEST & SMARTEST $150.00 I have spent on the Camaro thus far.

Also Thomas is a straight up, what you see is what you get kind of guy! If you call him & have to leave a message, YOU WILL get a call back in a VERY short time!

Attached are a few photo's of the install. Yes I did ALL the work myself.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

All The Best,

Orange 2010 Camaro
Could you explain what the benefit is to using an offset bushing like your first photo shows? The only thing I could think of is it will change the pinion angle and tilt the front of the differential (driveshaft side) down a little so that when torque is applied and the differential wants to rotate upward you are maintaining a better driveshaft to pinion alignment. But that is a wild guess on my part.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:31 PM   #4
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
Could you explain what the benefit is to using an offset bushing like your first photo shows? The only thing I could think of is it will change the pinion angle and tilt the front of the differential (driveshaft side) down a little so that when torque is applied and the differential wants to rotate upward you are maintaining a better driveshaft to pinion alignment. But that is a wild guess on my part.
The bushings are a 3 piece set one for each location and what they do is set the diff further up in the cradle allowing for less CV joint angles therefore relieving the stress when high tq is applied. Straighter joints = less wear and tear and more life and maybe less tire/wheel hop.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:02 PM   #5
krusher

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS CGM
Hows vibration and noise from these bushings? I just did a engine mount replacement with pfadt look alikes and its kinda howly already at certain rpms so i would not want much more vibration.
krusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:13 PM   #6
Orange 2010 Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle@ridetech.com View Post
So these are the bushings you were telling me about yesterday.... Car looks awesome!
You would be correct Kyle. I am going to install the upper bearing mount to the front Ride Tech Level TWO front struts tomorrow & will let you know how it went. Thank You for all your help with the new suspension thus far.

All The Best,

Orange 2010 Camaro
Old 06-10-2015, 09:24 PM   #7
Orange 2010 Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by krusher View Post
Hows vibration and noise from these bushings? I just did a engine mount replacement with pfadt look alikes and its kinda howly already at certain rpms so i would not want much more vibration.
As for additional vibration, I have not noticed ANY. As for noise, at speeds above 55 to 60 mph. you can now here some additional gear whine, but it really is no big deal. It is a small price to pay for a MUCH STRONGER drive line that can now handle the hard launches , as well as almost eliminating most all wheel hop as well.

All The Best,

Orange 2010 Camaro
Old 06-10-2015, 09:49 PM   #8
Orange 2010 Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
In simple terms, the offset bushings DO NOT change the pinion angle at all.They also DO NOT tilt the differential down AT ALL.

Installing the H-E offset bushings, IN SIMPLE TERMS, RAISES the differential UP in the rear cradle TO SIGNIFICANTLY REDUCE the EXCESSIVE AXLE SHAFT angles that you get from lowering the Camaro more than 1.5 inches.

Take a close look at the photo's of my Camaro as well as the additional photo's of the install & you can get a good idea as to why spending the $150.00 on them is the best money you will EVER spend!

All The Best,

Orange 2010 Camaro

Last edited by Orange 2010 Camaro; 06-10-2015 at 09:53 PM. Reason: add word
Old 06-10-2015, 10:09 PM   #9
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange 2010 Camaro View Post
In simple terms, the offset bushings DO NOT change the pinion angle at all.They also DO NOT tilt the differential down AT ALL.

Installing the H-E offset bushings, IN SIMPLE TERMS, RAISES the differential UP in the rear cradle TO SIGNIFICANTLY REDUCE the EXCESSIVE AXLE SHAFT angles that you get from lowering the Camaro more than 1.5 inches.

Take a close look at the photo's of my Camaro as well as the additional photo's of the install & you can get a good idea as to why spending the $150.00 on them is the best money you will EVER spend!

All The Best,

Orange 2010 Camaro
Ok. I didn't see the two eccentric forward facing bushings in the later pic. I only noticed it in the first pic which I knew was the rear mount. This makes sense now why they are offset. I can see where it will help straighten your half shafts back out to correct for lowering the car.

Thanks for the explanation!
Old 06-11-2015, 07:37 AM   #10
copoz28

Drives: 2010 2SS-RS, IOM, M6
I got mine in yesterday, as Orange 2010 stated installation easy, PIA removing factory bushings so have some tools. CV angle 100% better I am lowered as well with Eibachs. Still have other things I am doing so car not ready to drive yet.
copoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:13 AM   #11
Bretts
SS

Drives: 2015 2ss rs
my offsets arrived yesterday ride tech stage 2 and a spohn anti wheel hop kit Tyler at JDP put together for me are getting brought to Sturgis can"t wait , Your setup looks great Orange! how does the stock Guibo joint angle look? I was thinking a one piece drive shaft upgrade might be in the books
CCW sp16a track set, BTR stage 3 cam and kooks longtubes with high flow catsLocks@7.5 degrees castor and radius arm inserts, Ride Tech 2coilovers JDP upper control arm bushings BMR lower knuckle bushing Bo White throttle body3.91 gears Spohn del-sphere toe link and trailing arms Prothane subframe bushings
Bretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:39 AM   #12
Bretts
SS

drive shaft shop gets rid of guibo rubber joint and runs the a u joint , now what do I want aluminum or graphite hmm?
CCW sp16a track set, BTR stage 3 cam and kooks longtubes with high flow catsLocks@7.5 degrees castor and radius arm inserts, Ride Tech 2coilovers JDP upper control arm bushings BMR lower knuckle bushing Bo White throttle body3.91 gears Spohn del-sphere toe link and trailing arms Prothane subframe bushings
Old 06-11-2015, 10:09 AM   #13
Orange 2010 Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretts View Post
my offsets arrived yesterday ride tech stage 2 and a spohn anti wheel hop kit Tyler at JDP put together for me are getting brought to Sturgis can"t wait , Your setup looks great Orange! how does the stock Guibo joint angle look? I was thinking a one piece drive shaft upgrade might be in the books
I am not sure what you mean regarding the Guibo joint angle, but what I can tell you is that after installing the H-E offset Delrin bushings, the ANGLES of the AXLE SHAFTS are now VERY CLOSE to what the car was built with, even lowered close to TWO inches as my Camaro is!

I sleep much better now , if you know what I mean! It is just ONE LESS thing to worry about.

As for installing the Delrin bushings, drill out the soft OEM bubber bushings using a 2in. diameter hole saw first, & then use a saws-all with a FINE TOOTH , BI-METAL BLADE to cut through the remaining rubber OEM bushing in a couple of places, as well as the STEEL SLEEVE that you will have to knock out using a flat blade punch.

CAUTION- CAUTION-CAUTION------- WHEN YOU ARE USING THE SAWS-ALL TO CUT THROUGH THE REMAINING SOFT RUBBER & THE METAL SLEEVE , BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL THAT YOU DO-NOT CUT INTO THE DIFFERENTIAL CASTING !!!!!!

What I did was after cutting through the remaining rubber left from the hole saw, I ONLY ran the saws-all for TWO OR THREE SECONDS AT A TIME until I had cut through the steel sleeve,

Also you can do the entire job with the differential & axle shafts in the car. Make sure that you put some type of padding under the inner CV joint boots to protect them before you lower the differential.

I hope this install info. helps you.

All The Best,

Orange 2010 Camaro
Old 06-11-2015, 11:29 PM   #14
Bretts
SS

thanks those pics help visualize the job , do you think a good shop press will get them out? I want a graphite shaft its on the list anyhow ,but that's good if the stock shaft fit well!