Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 02-10-2009, 11:33 AM   #1
Steve
Ancalagon The Black

Drives: 2013 Silverado 4X4, 2010 RJT 1SS
GM to cut 10,000 salaried jobs . . .

NEW YORK (AP) -- General Motors Corp. said Tuesday it will cut 10,000 salaried jobs, citing the need to restructure itself with a government deadline looming and amid some of the worst sales in the auto industry's history.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/GM-to-...-14307259.html
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:36 AM   #2
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
This is sad. I really think they should give tax breaks for buying American cars and not letting this stimulus plan also go towards foriegn cars. We really need to start making stuff in America and keeping the money in America.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:38 AM   #3
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
This is sad. I really think they should give tax breaks for buying American cars and not letting this stimulus plan also go towards foriegn cars. We really need to start making stuff in America and keeping the money in America.

CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:44 AM   #4
Edrock

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS LS3
Well, as I understand it, at least the Stimulus plan (at the moment) has legislation in it that will allow new car buyers (like me with my new Cammie!!) deduct the interest from the car loan on my taxes for the life of the loan. I hope that tid bit stays in there but we'll see. I agree though. We seemed to have become a country of services and that's it. You're right, we need to broaden the scope and begin to make things again. You can't survive on services alone...
Old 02-10-2009, 11:46 AM   #5
kdbolt70

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I hope my father didn't lose his job... Though he was in the meeting yesterday with Wagoner and the financial people to discuss this whole mess, so he should be relatively safe for now.
2SS/RS Victory Red M6 w/ Black Rallys #3305
Muffler Delete, Lloyd "SS" Floormats, K&N Aircharger, Skip Shift Eliminator, Blacked Bowties
kdbolt70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:55 AM   #6
rmyers

Drives: Both American Made
This is precisely what happens when you let the government get involved in private business. These layoffs are part of what they promised to Congress in order to show viability to the federal government as a result of the bailout they were asking for. And they are probably a part of what is required just to stay afloat.

Secondly, some foreign cars are also made in America. They provide jobs and livelihood for thousands maybe hundreds of thousands of Americans. Yes we do need to start building more in America and keeping more in America. But ask yourself what is the main reason we are loosing mfg jobs. I would say it is largely the result of unions driving up the cost of labor. Leading to people making 30.00 per hour for a 15 dollar per hour job.

Lastly, anyone thinking this is a stimulus bill, should do a little research. This is government spending like you have never seen, and our kids and grand kids will be paying for it.
rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:55 AM   #7
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbolt70 View Post
I hope my father didn't lose his job... Though he was in the meeting yesterday with Wagoner and the financial people to discuss this whole mess, so he should be relatively safe for now.
here's hoping.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:01 PM   #8
fad1

Drives: Future 5th gen Camaro
Hopefully GM pulls through. It seems cool that the Camaro save the world in Transformers, and It would be even Cooler to see Camaro to save GM in real life.
fad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:02 PM   #9
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
I remember when Regan said there was too MUCH Government involvment in things. How times have changed.

Wait, is this considered POLITICAL???
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:22 PM   #10
Melson

Drives: Wild Cherry
Yea I think it is, but Regan was right!
Melson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:57 PM   #11
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Our GDP is down from 80% to 20% over the last 40 yrs. Buy American is all good, but theres less and less American to buy. We are all becoming assimilated and resistance is futile.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:52 PM   #12
Silver Streak

Drives: 2008 Cobalt SS/TC
Send a message via AIM to Silver Streak Send a message via MSN to Silver Streak
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyers View Post
This is precisely what happens when you let the government get involved in private business. These layoffs are part of what they promised to Congress in order to show viability to the federal government as a result of the bailout they were asking for. And they are probably a part of what is required just to stay afloat.

Secondly, some foreign cars are also made in America. They provide jobs and livelihood for thousands maybe hundreds of thousands of Americans. Yes we do need to start building more in America and keeping more in America. But ask yourself what is the main reason we are loosing mfg jobs. I would say it is largely the result of unions driving up the cost of labor. Leading to people making 30.00 per hour for a 15 dollar per hour job.

Lastly, anyone thinking this is a stimulus bill, should do a little research. This is government spending like you have never seen, and our kids and grand kids will be paying for it.
It would be nice to come to camaro site to get away from all polical debates. 24/7 everywhere! Oh well, guess that would be in a perfect world.
Silver Streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:23 PM   #13
Blownhotrodder

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Man I hope GM stays around long enough for you guys to get your camaros.
Blownhotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:26 PM   #14
jeffny09

Drives: 2010 camaro
Send a message via AIM to jeffny09 Send a message via Yahoo to jeffny09
this sux-i still beleave the world is coming to an end and the antichrist just might be here

10. A manual transmission is the ultimate in control
9. You can use automotive jargon and not sound like a total tool
8. You can't spell "manual" without "man"
7. Manual transmissions prove you can do more than one thing at a time
6. You can't drift in an auto
5. You can't pull fancy moves in an automatic
4. You get better fuel economy with a stick
3. You’ll never look like a chump if you can drive stick
2. Manual transmission cars are faster
1. Women like a guy who is good with his hands.

jeffny09 is offline   Reply With Quote