Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-18-2009, 08:36 PM   #1
okyankee

Drives: 2010 SILVERADO
confused about exhaust

do i need headers with hi flow cats, a cat back and a axle back or just one of the latter with the headers? thanks for the help.
okyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:16 PM   #2
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by okyankee View Post
do i need headers with hi flow cats, a cat back and a axle back or just one of the latter with the headers? thanks for the help.
A Axle Back is pretty much just the mufflers.

A Cat Back is everything from the Cats that are located at the end of the headers back to the rear of the car and include the mufflers.

Headers typically come with everything from the headers back to the rear axle though you can just buy the headers themselves.

Depending on which set of headers you buy you will either need A) a Axle Back or B) a Cat Back. You will not need to buy both.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:28 PM   #3
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/ 2016 Camaro SS
If you decide to run long tube headers such as American Racing with there X-Pipe you'll need an Axle-Back. If you run shorties you'll need a Cat-Back. If you have any questions please feel free to call or email us anytime! We have American Racing Headers, Airaid Intakes and Magnaflow Exhaust! It really is a great combination.

What are your ultimate performance plans?

JP
JDP Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:49 AM   #4
okyankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Motorsports View Post
If you decide to run long tube headers such as American Racing with there X-Pipe you'll need an Axle-Back. If you run shorties you'll need a Cat-Back. If you have any questions please feel free to call or email us anytime! We have American Racing Headers, Airaid Intakes and Magnaflow Exhaust! It really is a great combination.

What are your ultimate performance plans?

JP
when it is not a dd, the world is the limit. i just bought a house so i have a garage for it. so i will stick to the small things for the next few months.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:36 PM   #5
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/ 2016 Camaro SS
I would honestly go with part # 16580 which is the Comp Series Cat-Back for now and down the road do a cold air intake. If you do decide to go with Headers later you can order them without the X-Pipe and simply attach it before the Magnaflow resonated X-Pipe which is a TRU-X. A lot of the X-Pipe's I'm seeing in the LT set ups aren't even really X-Pipes and they don't function the same.

Please feel free to call or email us anything with questions!

JP
JDP Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:03 PM   #6
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Unfortuneatley there is not a set of flanges in the middle of the stock system to standardize all the aftermarket system like on the Mustangs.

When there is a factory connection in the middle of the system everyone builds a cat back or a Cat forward system and you can mix and match everyones parts.

So far all systems require cutting of the stock pipes in various places depending on who you go with.

We just did ARH headers w/c and Magnaflow axle back together, it required I make 2 short pipes to connect the 2 systems since they both cut in different places on the stock system.

If you have any questions or need recommendations please feel free to contact me.

Ted.

Last edited by JANNETTYRACING; 08-20-2009 at 07:14 AM.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:44 AM   #7
okyankee

thanks guys for the great info and the pic.