Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-05-2012, 07:50 PM   #1
Yohan

Drives: 2012 Camaro V6 1LT
Cold Air Inductions Experiment

Just wondering if any one has tried running the COld Air Inductions cai w/o the lid? Instead of screwing the top lid, just running it without it, like most other systems (Roto-Fab, Injen, K&N, AirAid, etc).

Should work just fine in theory. THe thing is to test if there is any temp change in the air supplied to car via CAI, if the lid is off. Reason is because the aluminum lid/top gets really hot, and has no insulation attached to its underside, and wonder if the heat absorbed by lid affects the "cold air" being sucked in by CAI when lid is on and cai closed. Perhaps if we run our CAI w/o lid, the air sucked in runs just as cool (if indeed the hot lid affects the air)? Perhaps it runs a little cooler? Maybe just a little warmer air, but not enough to really matter?

If so, then perhaps I'll remove the lid when I take it to dealership for maintenance, cause I don;t want those goons to scratch my CAI lid when they try to remove it or put it back on and don't know how to align it properly.

Last edited by Yohan; 07-05-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Yohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:10 PM   #2
patrick27md

Drives: 2012 2LS V6 Camaro
Even if the lid gets hot it would still be better as without the lid a lot more hot air would get in.
patrick27md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:13 PM   #3
06_warrior

Drives: 2012 1SS LS3 M6 black on black :)
If you remove the CAI lid and close the hood i don't think it will seal like other cold air intakes because the CAI height is a little lower to incorporate the lid.

The others without a lid i'm assuming are made a little taller so they will seal with the closed hood.

Running your CAI without the lid will allow warmer air to enter the air box but if it's to bring your car for repairs/routine maint. i don't see a problem because it's short term.
06_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:22 PM   #4
Yohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06_warrior View Post
If you remove the CAI lid and close the hood i don't think it will seal like other cold air intakes because the CAI height is a little lower to incorporate the lid.

The others without a lid i'm assuming are made a little taller so they will seal with the closed hood.

Running your CAI without the lid will allow warmer air to enter the air box but if it's to bring your car for repairs/routine maint. i don't see a problem because it's short term.
Ok, i see what u mean with regards to other brand cai trying get their kit to seal with hood. Guess a little seal could be worked around box if need be. In the CAI case, dont know if the fact that they use ceramic coating on their pipe, and unsulation in the box itself, it neutralizes the hoter air coming in from not using the lid some what, so that its not really noticeable performance wise.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:29 PM   #5
Yohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick27md View Post
Even if the lid gets hot it would still be better as without the lid a lot more hot air would get in.
That is interesting point. Aluminum gets hot. That top lid gets very hot, and it could actually affect the cold air being sucked in beneath it which eventually goes through filter. I bet u if the lid was plastic, the air beneath it being sucked in would b a little cooler over all, since plastic doesnt get as hot and thus not give off so much heat to affect air under it. Would lov to see some tests with this.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:36 PM   #6
06_warrior

Drives: 2012 1SS LS3 M6 black on black :)
If your that concerned with the temp. inside the box being too hot you could always insulate it better. When i did construction we used thin pink sheets of insulation for various projects. You could get something like this insulation material or something similar and glue it to the inside of the box and that will insulate the box better.

The box will get hot due to the temp. inside the engine compartment reguardless of what you do but you could insulate the box better so the temp. inside the box is cooler.
06_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:34 AM   #7
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Ummm, the hood gets pretty hot, too.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:09 PM   #8
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
Just wondering if any one has tried running the COld Air Inductions cai w/o the lid? Instead of screwing the top lid, just running it without it, like most other systems (Roto-Fab, Injen, K&N, AirAid, etc).

Should work just fine in theory. THe thing is to test if there is any temp change in the air supplied to car via CAI, if the lid is off. Reason is because the aluminum lid/top gets really hot, and has no insulation attached to its underside, and wonder if the heat absorbed by lid affects the "cold air" being sucked in by CAI when lid is on and cai closed. Perhaps if we run our CAI w/o lid, the air sucked in runs just as cool (if indeed the hot lid affects the air)? Perhaps it runs a little cooler? Maybe just a little warmer air, but not enough to really matter?

If so, then perhaps I'll remove the lid when I take it to dealership for maintenance, cause I don;t want those goons to scratch my CAI lid when they try to remove it or put it back on and don't know how to align it properly.
Keep the lid on when running the vehicle, otherwise you just eliminated one of the main differences and advantages to our system. Removing it will hurt your performance, raise your IAT, and pretty much void out all of the insulating factors that you probably purchased our intake for in the first place. If you want to take it off while at the dealer understandable, but definitely put it back on.
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:10 PM   #9
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yohan View Post

Leave the lid on when running the vehicle, otherwise you just voided out most of the design attributes and benefits that our system has to offer. And yes, the performance will be hurt by doing so.
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:21 AM   #10
etmx183

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS
I use my nitrous purge solenoid and spray the outside of the box with the purge instead of just spraying it into the air. I figure it can't hurt, can't say I've seen any power difference at the track by purging on the outside of the CAI. *** Yes I know some of the nitrous vapor might enter and try to lean the mixture. *** I only do a small purge before pre-staging. Maybe do a dual walled CAI box and fill in between the walls with dry ice pellets to super chill the CAI.
etmx183 is offline   Reply With Quote