Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-15-2011, 06:43 PM   #1
2ndCamaro79

Drives: 2014 V-Sport/ 2015 Escalade
The Sky is Falling

Wow, what a day this has been with the announcement of price and performance numbers for the ZL1. Then the announcement from that four letter word F O R D. It would seem at least on paper that Ford as ruined the day for us Chevy guys. This is the most powerful Camaro of all time and Ford went and stole our spotlight.

On this issue I think GM should wait to release the ZL1 or release it with GM Performance Parts that are backed by the factory warranty. I know that either one of those options would also raise the price but as MOPAR said LEAD, FOLLOW or GET OUT OF THE WAY!! I really was expecting the ZL1 to hit the performance marks of the SLP ZL585 Instead the real word numbers 0 to 60 and 1/4 mile are only slightly better than a cheaper BOSS 302. I know it went around some track in Germany, but to me that is not the measuring stick for American muscle cars I mean if we lived in Europe the ring times would be all over the news but this is America. In America 650HP is all over the news today not ring times. I think in America we judge our cars differently than in Europe or Asia (Watch Top Gear). Maybe its just me, but I don't know anybody who road races their car? That seems like a very expensive/exclusive hobby and your time around a race track has a lot to do with your driving skill not just the cars performance. Did Chevy forget they were building a muscle car not a M3? While Chevy was trying to turn beer into wine, Ford took the crown

Now I am not bashing Chevy, I am a Camaro guy to the core. I owned a 1997 Camaro in 1997. If you don't remember that was when most so called chevy fans jumped ship to Asian brands and the Camaro died in 2002:(. I was coming out of high school and everyone wanted a Civic or Mitsubishi with mods. The 300Z, Supra, 300GT and Mazda RX-7 had all the spotlight. Back then Chevy and the LT1 F-bodies were kicking Fords rear end all over the place, but nobody noticed. I have to take my hat off to the Ford Fan-Boys they stuck by their Mustang even when it looked like crap(Mustang II) and when Chevy was walking it like a dog. Now Ford is rewarding them by kicking our rear (since 2011) up and down the road.

Everyone is talking about how the Shelby is going to crush the ZL1. Well what about what the Boss and GT? For a straight year, and now going on two they continue to own us. Most people on here and in the real world can only afford the V6 or SS model. So I hope Chevy not only address the Shelby, but bumps the power in the SS or gives us a Z28.

Well it sure in nice having so many high powered American cars to choose from. I don't know if anyone from the 60s or 70s remembers which car was the fastest year to year? All I know is they remember how nice it was having so many toys to play with. No matter what please continue to support American Muscle because I don't want to loose it again. As for me make mine a Chevy, and if nothing else I know the boys over at SLP will answer back.
2ndCamaro79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:47 PM   #2
Raptor626
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Summit White
Everyone just needs to drop NRE motors in their Camaro's and we'll be fine.
Raptor626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:48 PM   #3
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Don't worry too much about what the other cars are doing. Enjoy yours and that should be it. If one day, it does not make you happy anymore, then get one that does.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:48 PM   #4
Weezerj

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS -- 02 Escalade
Do you race?

I own a 2012 Camaro SS, and to date I haven't owned anyone. I plan on doing some limited track racing next year, but with the cost of track racing and the chance of crashing, I will be limited in the time and how hard I push my car.

As for on the street, I cannot afford a racing ticket nor the beating my wife would give me if I got one.....

so, I guess that I am owned by any 4 banger ricer that is willing to break the law and try to race me on the street....

so be it. I love my car and it puts a smile on my face. I drove a 2011 mustang GT with the new motor, and while I liked that car, it didn't do for me what my SS Camaro does.....so I bought the Camaro.

If the ZL1 makes you feel that same way, then you should buy one.

If the SS makes you feel that same way, then buy it.

If you need to have the car that boasts the most HP, then buy the GT500 when it comes out....
Weezerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:50 PM   #5
Raptor626
Account Suspended

OP you're forgetting a very important fact. LS motors can be modified pretty easily and can gain serious numbers from moderate mods, and not blow up in the process (for the most part).
Old 11-15-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
Raptor626
Account Suspended

Those 5.0 have been having issues with the #8 cylinder popping from just some simple tuning. Sure, they're just in their early stages, but then when you add Ford denying warranty on faulty transmission because they claim the car had been "raced", then I don't really see Ford running away with it so to speak.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:54 PM   #7
Weezerj

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS -- 02 Escalade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor626 View Post
OP you're forgetting a very important fact. LS motors can be modified pretty easily and can gain serious numbers from moderate mods, and not blow up in the process (for the most part).
I love reading about this before I got my car.....but after having my car, do I really need to SERIOUS numbers?

when will I get to use them? If I can't use them, why waste my money?

I would love to have forged internals and cammed LS motor someday down the road.....but I have to think long and hard about the $$ I have to put in compared to what I will get out of it.....

I'm 40, bragging rights don't mean Sh@t to me anymore......
Weezerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:56 PM   #8
Dasein

Drives: 2011 CGM 1LT
Don't let it get you down. I was thinking along the same lines; Chevy just announced everything and Ford quickly steps in and says, "we'll do better in the future, don't worry." And while it sucks, it is what it is. Love the car you drive (and I love my Camaro even if the new Mustang could beat me) and let the rest do what they want!
Dasein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:57 PM   #9
Raptor626
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezerj View Post
I love reading about this before I got my car.....but after having my car, do I really need to SERIOUS numbers?

when will I get to use them? If I can't use them, why waste my money?

I would love to have forged internals and cammed LS motor someday down the road.....but I have to think long and hard about the $$ I have to put in compared to what I will get out of it.....

I'm 40, bragging rights don't mean Sh@t to me anymore......
Exactly, you should just buy the car that makes you happy, like cobra said. If numbers are your bag, then an LS3 is a very good platform to get you to those numbers. And honestly, at the end of the day as long as you got the $$$$ to feed your addiction, then it doesn't really matter what car you get.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:01 PM   #10
'11 cyber grey vert
"SHARK" Born Apr.26,2011

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS Convertible
I agree with weezerj
before I purchased my vert, I also test drove a similiarly equipped mustang vert so that I was comparing apples to apples.
I bought the car that I liked the most.
sheer raw hp doesn't mean s@#t unless you plan on racing, and around where I live there isn't really anywhere to run these super high performance cars.
'11 cyber grey vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:01 PM   #11
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
It seems to me....

The frustration some are feeling because of the price and relatively disappointing performance numbers of the ZL1, will do wonders for the resale value of Camaro SSs.

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:01 PM   #12
Raptor626
Account Suspended

Um, the GT500 is 200lbs. Lighter than the ZL1 ^.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:03 PM   #13
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

Drives: 2012 45th 2SS LS3 and 1968 Mustang
So what's your point? I still like my camaro....
hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:10 PM   #14
shaggy1
The thin blue line

Drives: 2012, 2SS/RS,LS3,IOM/Beige
My take on the issue may be a little different than some. I think that Ford and Chevy are better because of the other. Just look at how ho humm the Mustang was until Chevy released the Camaro. I love the muscle car wars, because in the end the consumer wins. The Mustang fans get a better car because of Chevy and the Chevy fans get a better car because of Ford. In the end we all win,.... because one year will be Chevys and the next Ford,..... It's pretty fun just waiting to see what's next.
shaggy1 is offline   Reply With Quote