Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-16-2014, 11:35 PM   #71
SSeniorMoment

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 A6 IOM
What kind of suspension do you want? If you live an exciting lifestyle and like to hang with others who like excitement, get the SS. There's nothing practical about the SS, but it can take you places where the six bangers don't tread.
SSeniorMoment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:06 AM   #72
Ides of March

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
I didn't drive the V8 when I got my Camaro because I didn't need one. And to be honest if I am gonna spend close to 40k on a car it's not gonna be a camaro, I would have gotten an SUV. My V6 is fine for me. I live in mostly a 35 mph suburban area and opening up at all is highly unlikely so the V8 would be wasted on me. I wanted a bone stock V6 mainly because I liked the look of it and it was comfortable to sit in. Personally I don't understand all of the plastic inside, seems cheap but whatever it is what it is. I also don't think a camaro should have a backup camera, a large computer screen and a navigation screen or any other plush appointments, seems kinda momish. The old camaros didn't have any of that just the car, that's how I like mine. And I don't get all the lag with the other V6's on here. I barely ever push the accel down when I'm driving and the pickup is impressive. Plenty of balls on the V6 for me. My .02
Ides of March is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:31 AM   #73
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbis View Post
A lot of us put in ported throttle bodies for that reason. Mine is good now. When we had a Jeep Grand Cherokee a srt8 had perfect response maybe Chrysler's makes better throttle bodies.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
I think a lot of it has to do with the lag associated with an electronic throttle body. My LS1 firebird's throttle response with the manual cable was instantaneous. My 2013 SS just doesn't have that response, and I doubt it ever will. It is slow to even free rev. Obviously, it is a much better made car and takes down the 4th gens in almost all areas (except raw straight line speed), but I really hate the move to electronic TB's.

As for the V6 vs V8 topic, my thoughts are this: if it is a question in your mind, get the V8. You'll regret it. When I was looking for my SS, I was caught in between two. They were a 2012 SS with 8,900 miles and a 2013 SS with 5,400 miles. The 2013 had everything I wanted: the inferno orange interior, NPP, RS package, sunroof...but it was $4,000 more expensive. In the end, I realized three years from now I wouldn't miss the $4,000, but I'd be regretting I didn't get the car I truly wanted every day for those 3 years. JMO.
ChocoTaco369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:21 PM   #74
c5Legend
Camaro5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
I traded in my charger RT for the 2LT Camaro..
I do miss the power of the v8, but I did mostly city driving and was tired of the terrible gas mileage..
I still want to get the v8 camaro, but for now the v6 is good enough.. Its pretty quick and it looks nice. I guess I'll just wait for the prices to drop a bit on the 10-13 SS
Haven't been to a pump in about 2 weeks so that's a big bonus.

A month after I got the v6 I went and got another v6(family car).. So I was pretty upset that I didnt get the v8 Camaro in the first place.
Sometimes I just feel weird sitting in a muscle car and not having the big engine.. Its like when I see a v6 Challenger I kind of cringe.

My Build
'11 Chrysler 300 Limited / '10 Camaro 2LT
c5Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:41 PM   #75
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
If anyone is seriously debating which engine, focus on this number: 4,000.

That's the TWO TONS your Camaro weighs. It needs all the torque you can afford.
Indydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:29 PM   #76
MyRideIsHere

Drives: 98 z28, 13 LS, 14 SS, 14 ZL1
Owned a 2013 V6... I put 14K on it in 8 months. Just traded for a 2SS/RS. I haven't got 200 miles on it yet because of the ridiculous weather we've been having. I also still have a 98 Z28. All manual transmissions.

There is an excellent chance that you will ultimately buy a V8 if you buy a V6 first. Independent of engine, you will probably fall in love with the Gen5 Camaro. The 35K-45K cost of the V8 that maybe seems too much now, when you compare it to 24k-25K for the V6, may eventually seem worth it to you. That was the case with me.

It was hard for me to imagine that I would EVER pop for a V8, much less a 2SS/RS. But owning the V6 SOLD me on the Gen5 CAMARO. Not because of what the V6 wasn't, but because the V8 could take an experience that was already fantastic and make it even better.

The V6 is an extremely well mannered but still powerful car if you push it to its limits. Very economical as well. Having had the V6, I can easily appreciate the V6 owner that LOVES their car.
MyRideIsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:40 PM   #77
BeastMode13

Drives: 2013 AGM 2SS/RS
Had my 2013 V6 2LT/RS for 4 months before trading it in for 2013 2SS/RS and haven't looked back! Wish I would've bought the V8 in the first place. I still show love to the V6 camaro drivers out there, but it's just not for me.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:27 PM   #78
beetlei

Drives: 2013 2SS / RS
You will regret not getting the V8. Trust me. I used all the same excuses till I pulled up beside a 5.0 mustang. Was no contest. Traded the next week.
beetlei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:18 PM   #79
Visago

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I think it all boils down to your budget and what you can afford. The SS doesn't get good gas mileage, ins will be higher, and payment obviously will be higher. I struggled with this when I bought mine...was looking at the V6's initially but I knew myself and I wouldn't have been happy with the 6 cylinder in the long run. There are options though...find a pre-certified SS with low miles. That's what I did...mine had a little over 30K on it and I paid right around $28K out the door. Now I have exactly what I want and I'm stoked every single day I get in the car and fire it up. My school of thought is you'll be financing it for awhile so might as well get exactly what you want...assuming you can handle the payments comfortably though.
Visago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:53 PM   #80
batman53201
Account not blocked

Drives: The Batmobile
Its just a matter of preference. I can afford any car out there.