Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 06-05-2014, 03:01 PM   #1
kinpin
618 RWHP

Drives: 2014 ZL1
SCAM ALERT !

I just want to let everyone know what happen to me today. I am selling a motorcycle. So i have it out on Craigslist and other media . So i receive an email today by someone wanting to buy it . He told me he wants to pay me by Paypal and wants to ship it to his home. So i said OK . I then receive another email from him telling me he needs my help with the shipping company because they don't take Paypal and he need me to get them a money order for the 750 shipping charge but he will send me the extra 750 with the Paypal payment. I am thinking this deal is starting to smell fishy but Paypal is safe and may be he is deployed somewhere in the service . So i receive a Paypal invoice by email saying the 12,100.00 for the bike + the 750 are in my pay pal account waiting for me. The invoice looked real and said all the right thing . So i called Paypal by phone to confirm they had the money and sure enough they
DID NOT . I informed them of the SCAM and they also told me that they would only do 10,000.00 transaction anyway . I just wanted to inform everyone. I know allot of us use Paypal when selling parts or even cars. It use to be buyers beware but now i guess it sellers too.

Last edited by kinpin; 06-05-2014 at 05:08 PM.
kinpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:08 PM   #2
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Oldest scam in the book. As soon as someone wants to buy it via paypal and they want you to ship it without even seeing it is a scam.

Cosmetic: ZL1 front w/mailslot, painted stripes, powdercoated SS rims, tow hook, and full chrome delete

Suspension: Pfadt subframe bushings, Pfadt rear UCA bushings, Z28 Upper control arms, Spohn trailing arms with BMR trailing arm & differential bushings, ZL1 Toe Rods and springs, Prothane radius arm inserts & steering rack bushing, Pfadt Sport front sway, FE4 conversion w/ DS rear sway, Pfadt strut brace

Drivetrain: RMCR tune, CAI intake, Kooks headers, hi-flo cats & exhaust, VMAX TB, ZL1 fuel pump, LSR Tri-Ax shifter

Bumblebee Racecar Build
Dexman1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:52 PM   #3
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
yea craigslist warns you everywhere... anybody wanting to ship the item is gonna be a scam
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:53 PM   #4
DFWZ28

Drives: 2010 SS
I got the same thing when I was selling my truck a few years back. these guys are smart and do explain that they are in the military, out of the country blah..blah.. blah... A holes.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:02 PM   #5
RED_SS

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Oh well. It was a nice bike. Im sure ill find another one around.

Edit: This happened to me with my old camaro. Becomes obvious fairly quick with most of them

Last edited by RED_SS; 06-05-2014 at 04:54 PM.
RED_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:03 PM   #6
erik13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS
Wow. I thought everyone knew about this by now?
erik13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:06 PM   #7
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by erik13 View Post
Yeah. This was a couple of years ago for me. I tell everyone that mentions CR to "run away!".
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:33 PM   #8
Emig5m
100% Sport Møde

Drives: '17 Civic SI + '04 SVT Lightning
I've sold and bought stuff on Craigslist before. I always buy and sell locally. I can smell those scams a mile away, I just ignore them!
Emig5m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:46 PM   #9
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by erik13 View Post
Yes and no. I see a generational disconnect with regards to scamming, and it has nothing to do with intelligence. People who haven't had the internet all their lives aren't 100% used to the fact that anything and everything can be electronically duplicated, made up, that people would invest so much time/effort in scamming people.

For the lot of us in our teens, twenties, thirties, we grew up photo-chopping and pranking the hell out of people and making memes, and we know that there are dirty and clean versions of credit card processing and easy ways of getting information from the right sources online.

Older generations or those that didn't grow up around the internet..this is still pretty new. It's foreign to think suspect of everything/anything electronic.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:56 PM   #10
rich3fan
What's this button do?

Drives: 2019 Black 2SS
Thanks for taking the time to post this info kinpin.

rich3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:45 PM   #11
6bangerBOOM

Drives: 2016 1SS SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
Yes and no. I see a generational disconnect with regards to scamming, and it has nothing to do with intelligence. People who haven't had the internet all their lives aren't 100% used to the fact that anything and everything can be electronically duplicated, made up, that people would invest so much time/effort in scamming people.

For the lot of us in our teens, twenties, thirties, we grew up photo-chopping and pranking the hell out of people and making memes, and we know that there are dirty and clean versions of credit card processing and easy ways of getting information from the right sources online.

Older generations or those that didn't grow up around the internet..this is still pretty new. It's foreign to think suspect of everything/anything electronic.
The digital divide is real.
6bangerBOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:14 PM   #12
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
what's cr and PayPal?? lol
ssrs2lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 12:11 AM   #13
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post

Im am old fart who grew up on manual typewriters, rotary phones, Big Wheels, Burger Chef n Jeff, Rock em Sock em robots and phonographs..........but I can still recognize a scam when I see it. True, its not totally an intelligence thing, but more a common sense thing.......which is something there seems to be a shortage of these days. Jiminy Cricket would truly be disappointed. (You do know who Jiminy Cricket is?)
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:14 AM   #14
lawman007
Panama-Gulf War Vet

Drives: '11 SW 1LT/RS 6M
Can you check your account rather than the email invoice? I would think if there was fraudulent account numbers connected to the transaction(their end, not your end), then the money transfer wouldn't be able to happen. You'd still have the current balance in your account and you'd know there was a bogus activity or transfer attempt. Plus, wouldn't that send up red flags to PayPal, and subsequently notify you of the attempt? Anyway, just asking.
Troy Lawson