Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-10-2010, 04:57 PM   #43
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
Just like everyone was waiting on the Gen5 Camaro's weight to not be too far out there before all the heavy details were known? I figure the difference between the speculation and the actual will be just as drastic.
your definition of too far and drastic are relative.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:40 PM   #44
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Everything is relative. My point is that prior to the actual specifications of the Gen5 Camaro being released, a vast majority of the guesses on the offical curb weight of the car were way lower than what it actually ended up being.

Likewise, there are only a few people that might actually know what the price is going to be on the Z28, and they sure as heck aren't telling. History tends to show that in the cases of people making guesses on products they want to see come to fruition, they general underestimate the actual price in the misguided hope that they might actually be able to afford to put one in their garage.

It's like the old saying about building a house. Take the number you think it will take you to build the home you want, double it, and then add 5% and you'll probably be in the ballpark when all is said and done.

I certainly don't think it will be anywhere near that drastic with the Z28, but I think a lot of people are going to be surprised by the MSRP when it is finally released. But then again, maybe GM will prove me wrong.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:26 PM   #45
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
Everything is relative. My point is that prior to the actual specifications of the Gen5 Camaro being released, a vast majority of the guesses on the offical curb weight of the car were way lower than what it actually ended up being.

Likewise, there are only a few people that might actually know what the price is going to be on the Z28, and they sure as heck aren't telling. History tends to show that in the cases of people making guesses on products they want to see come to fruition, they general underestimate the actual price in the misguided hope that they might actually be able to afford to put one in their garage.

It's like the old saying about building a house. Take the number you think it will take you to build the home you want, double it, and then add 5% and you'll probably be in the ballpark when all is said and done.

I certainly don't think it will be anywhere near that drastic with the Z28, but I think a lot of people are going to be surprised by the MSRP when it is finally released. But then again, maybe GM will prove me wrong.
and then you have realists like me that know the price is going to be close to the gt500 since that's the target market. granted I give it about a 5k window. 1500 each way of the gt500 price. that's what I expect. what I hope for is less but I expect more.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:25 PM   #46
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
I am buying a Z28 regardless of price for two reasons. It serves my business interest, but equally or maybe more important -- I want one. My guess is that the GT500 and the Z28 have enough buyers lined up who to a degree look past the price because they just want it.

In the computer or consumer electronics world the price of the latest and greatest contains a HUGE premium and then decreases. I have yet to see that in the automotive world.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:40 AM   #47
Qdiesel

Drives: 2011 Infiniti M56S, '04 Tahoe
Well said, JusticePete.
Qdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote