Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-17-2013, 09:09 AM   #29
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
I think some of you guys have got it all wrong. I like to drive new cars and test a lot of new cars at dealerships. I always dress in a pair of dockers and a polo and drive the nicest car I have in my garage into the dealership. I call in advance, introduce myself as Dr. (I'm not a M.D. but do have a doctorate level college degree) and ask for the sales rep that is most knowledgeable about the model I'm interested in. By the time I get there they are usually tripping over themselves to let me drive anything. Sorry if I offend anyone but I think if you go into a dealership in a pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt you should be surprised if anyone does jump to show you anything. If you want to treated with respect then set yourself up for success. Once again, just my two cents.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:21 AM   #30
ChevyCowboy
Lining Up!

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS, Summit white, M6,
Send a message via MSN to ChevyCowboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
I think some of you guys have got it all wrong. I like to drive new cars and test a lot of new cars at dealerships. I always dress in a pair of dockers and a polo and drive the nicest car I have in my garage into the dealership. I call in advance, introduce myself as Dr. (I'm not a M.D. but do have a doctorate level college degree) and ask for the sales rep that is most knowledgeable about the model I'm interested in. By the time I get there they are usually tripping over themselves to let me drive anything. Sorry if I offend anyone but I think if you go into a dealership in a pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt you should be surprised if anyone does jump to show you anything. If you want to treated with respect then set yourself up for success. Once again, just my two cents.
This is the worst thing I ever read. Motivation for someone to sell a car to an individual shouldn't be based on there appearance. This is whats wrong with society today. Everyone is to quick to judge on what they see, instead of treating everyone equally and treating everyone as a potential customer. NOT COOL

I can relate to the OP. When I first started shopping for my Camaro SS I was 21 years old, how many salesmen do you think approached me at the multiple dealerships I visited before going through and ordering my Camaro? Absolutely 0, not a single one, on average I walked around a show room for 30-45 minutes, and its not because they were busy, I was working evening shifts at this time so it was usually a week day, mid morning early afternoon. Then I went to another dealership. Within 5 minutes of being there a man in his mid 50s to late 50s approached me. Asked me what if he could help me with anything. Obviously I went right ahead and ordered my Camaro, I told him about the previous experience at the other dealships and his face look like this Couldn't believe what I went through.

Anyways just wanted to say I cant believe how much people judge before they even talk to someone
Old 09-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #31
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
As far as salespeopel approaching you, I have seen it both ways.

I will normally browse the cars in the lot for quite a while (weeks or months) in th etime leading up to when I'm ready to purchase a new car.

I HATE it when the min you get out of your car and start browsing the lot you can see the door to the dealership open and a salesperson heading my way ready to start their sales pitch. as soon as I see someone approaching, I'll move right along to another row.

I know where the salespeople have their desks, and when I'm ready to ask a few questions, I'll find them. Heck, quite often, I just wait till evenging when the dealership is closed to do my browsing in peace.

Of course I've also seen the flip side where you walk into the dealership and start looking at the cars in the showroom, perhaps getting in one to see how it looks/fites, and nobody approachs you at all.

i've also gone places ready to buy a fairly expensive piece of merchandise (with cash in my pocket) and have been ignored. Granted I'm not dressed in a suite but in casual dress clothes, but still I get ignored.

What I prefer is a store where they see you coming, perhaps a salesperson casually aproaches you , asks if you need any help or has any questions, then simply tells you they will be standing by just in case, and from then on they leave you alone.

i am a middle-aged (61) year old single person, and I love to see the look on a waiter's face after a particularly good meal when I leave a generaous tip because they served great food, gave me great service, and left me alone to read a book. because I'm alone, they seem to figure I'm just one person and they won't make much money off of me. Perhaps someday they'll catch on to not alwaays judge a book by it's cover.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:13 AM   #32
km9v

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonNC View Post
I make a point of dressing like a " bum" whenever I go to a dealership. After walking around and sitting in a dealers showroom for an hour, I left, went to another dealership, bought their truck, then drove back to the first dealership to show them the truck they could have sold me. I love it!
Do you go into a dealership to make a political statement or to buy a car? Why dress like a bum then get upset when you're treated like one? I'm not gonna waste my time or the sales person's time by standing around waiting for someone to bend over backwards for me b/c I want to buy a car.
km9v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:09 PM   #33
snackbar64

Drives: SW 2017 ZL1, M6, Carbon, Nav, MR,
Very good points made by all of you. Keep in mind that the last thing a car dealership has to offer is their vehicles. They can be bought anywhere; however, really good customer service seldom go hand n hand.

Me being a black man, I often wonder about many causative factors leading to my being treated poorly. I went to look at a Camaro just last week or so ago at Eldorado Chevy in McKinney, TX. There was a white 2014 1LE on the floor, which they refused to let me or my wife sit in. Here's how it went down...The salesman leaves to go get the keys and returns saying that we weren't allowed to sit in the car because it already had a $10,000.00 deposit on it. Why didn't he tell me that beforehand? He did open the door, but little else. I told him that I wanted to see the new color heads up display to which he refused to even turn the key to accessories to oblige.

I told him I already had a ZL1 but was just browsing to which his eyes popped open.

I called a week later and the car was still there. I don't want to say I was treated this way because I am black, but as a black man in McKinney, TX what am I to think?

If there really was a deposit on the car I would understand not being allowed to sit in it, but I am not sure if I was told this just because of the perception that I''m not a potential buyer.

Like others have said here, our business should be earned. I am not going to beg you to buy your car so you can feed your family.

Last edited by snackbar64; 09-17-2013 at 01:28 PM.
snackbar64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:49 PM   #34
mmarx82

Drives: '12 ZL1 #1609
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
As far as salespeopel approaching you, I have seen it both ways.

I will normally browse the cars in the lot for quite a while (weeks or months) in th etime leading up to when I'm ready to purchase a new car.

I HATE it when the min you get out of your car and start browsing the lot you can see the door to the dealership open and a salesperson heading my way ready to start their sales pitch. as soon as I see someone approaching, I'll move right along to another row.

I know where the salespeople have their desks, and when I'm ready to ask a few questions, I'll find them. Heck, quite often, I just wait till evenging when the dealership is closed to do my browsing in peace.

Of course I've also seen the flip side where you walk into the dealership and start looking at the cars in the showroom, perhaps getting in one to see how it looks/fites, and nobody approachs you at all.

i've also gone places ready to buy a fairly expensive piece of merchandise (with cash in my pocket) and have been ignored. Granted I'm not dressed in a suite but in casual dress clothes, but still I get ignored.

What I prefer is a store where they see you coming, perhaps a salesperson casually aproaches you , asks if you need any help or has any questions, then simply tells you they will be standing by just in case, and from then on they leave you alone.

i am a middle-aged (61) year old single person, and I love to see the look on a waiter's face after a particularly good meal when I leave a generaous tip because they served great food, gave me great service, and left me alone to read a book. because I'm alone, they seem to figure I'm just one person and they won't make much money off of me. Perhaps someday they'll catch on to not alwaays judge a book by it's cover.

This is what I prefer as well, Give me 5 or so minutes to browse, if I'm still here then give me a card and tell me you'd be standing by. I despise the salesman that rushes me as soon as I open the door when I arrive and hate the dealership that ignores me when I've been there long enough for them to figure out that I'm interested in a vehicle.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:11 PM   #35
IXLR8

Drives: 2015 2SS RS 1LE
I saw a guy in the Ferrari dealership in August that was wearing a zipped up winter coat and looked like a complete nut and then he drove away in an Italia, so never judge a book by its cover.
IXLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:16 PM   #36
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Honestly when I hit the dealer I usually know more about the cars I'm looking for and often times even their inventory. The internet changed things a lot.

Problem is I go in dressed casual and unassuming. They don't realize that I'm a sure thing when it comes to buying what I'm looking for.

I can't afford a Ferrari but I sure as hell can afford anything on a Chevy lot short of a ZR1. I don't buy or even look above my means.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:39 PM   #37
littlecammi

Drives: '87 Pontiac Fiero GT
The Chevy dealer and Ford dealer that are nearest to me seem to be very customer oriented. When I stop in either one I'm usually wearing worn jeans with a rip in one knee. I'm always approached within a couple of minutes and asked if I need any help, and when I say I'm "just looking around" they tell me I should just ask when I need anything and then they step away. They're there if you need them, but they're not hovering over you waiting to pounce. Yes, they are friendly and helpful, whether you are just looking or if you are ready to make a purchase.

But the Ford dealer charges over sticker for GT500s and Boss 302s and the Chevy dealer charges over sticker for his ZL1s. They have no quams about adding another sheet alongside the factory widow sticker showing "market value adjustment" of $5K (or more). The Ford dealer did this on GT500s in previous years, but didn't need to print up a ADM (additional dealer markup) sheet on the 2013s because he pre-sold all three of his allotted '13 GT500s and his only '13 Boss 302 each for $5K over sticker. The nearest Chevy dealer likes to order his ZL1s for stock and add the market value adjustment sheet when the car is in his showroom. The sales manager says it helps sell LT and SS Camaros when people come in to look at the ZL1 in the showroom. They're content to have other Chevy dealers get the minimal profit from customers looking to pay invoice or below, when sooner or later they get a customer who will pay what they are asking because they have it available on the spot and the customer just has to have it.
littlecammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #38
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
The dealer I ended up going with is very much like that. Except they don't do the add on. They just don't discount.

Their customer service in general is stellar. I just called my guy in parts for a list of parts and they will all be here by the end of the week and I'll pay him when I get there. His prices were the lowest by a lot too.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #39
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic SS
I'm broke AND in a wheelchair but I was still mobbed by salespeople when I looked at my ZL1. lol
Old 09-19-2013, 05:58 AM   #40
orangejuice
H1 OFCR

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
Thank you for your service
ZL1 Hood/Fascia
AAC Afterburners/Sidemarkers
Havoc Black Chrome
5% Tint/20% Smoked Taillights

orangejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #41
Samson2029

Drives: 328xi, ML400, ZL1 man. 2013
Went to order a ZL1 at first dealership. Was driving an old cavalier which belonged to my mother, was in jeans and a not so elegant winter coat. I did park infront of the dealership which probably made me visible to the sales people. Went in, looked around, the receptionist eventually got the salesman for me. Long story short, when I said I wanted to order the ZL1, the salesman smiled and reminded me it was a 60000$ car. I asked him if he thought that car was to expensive for me.
Bought my ZL1 at another dealership where I was treated very well. That first dealership is now officially closed.
Samson2029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:37 PM   #42
snackbar64

Drives: SW 2017 ZL1, M6, Carbon, Nav, MR,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samson2029 View Post
Went to order a ZL1 at first dealership. Was driving an old cavalier which belonged to my mother, was in jeans and a not so elegant winter coat. I did park infront of the dealership which probably made me visible to the sales people. Went in, looked around, the receptionist eventually got the salesman for me. Long story short, when I said I wanted to order the ZL1, the salesman smiled and reminded me it was a 60000$ car. I asked him if he thought that car was to expensive for me.
Bought my ZL1 at another dealership where I was treated very well. That first dealership is now officially closed.
Very similar experience when I bought mine. Went to a small town car lot and when I asked about the car the salesman told me they were for rich folks who kept them in the garage and never drove them. He did not even take me serious when I made an offer on the car. He went in to ask and never returned. I went inside and he was just passing time talking to other salesmen and eventually wandered over to another customer.

I should have left, but there was a nice young man that had only been there for a few days. I told him he was about to make some money. I wrote a check for the car and gave him generous tip. I am sure they stuffed him on the commission which is why I tipped him.

I had on some old Walmart pants and sneakers. My wife had on jeans and a sweater with sneakers. We are also African American. Not sure which factored in more for the way we were treated.
snackbar64 is offline   Reply With Quote