Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-18-2015, 05:03 PM   #1
tarik1985

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Arrow Was Vitesse throttle controller my engine seized ?

Hi.
My engine seized last week outta nowhere with no signs or explanation.As I literally was backing up of a parking lot when I heard a noise coming from the engine and oil was everywhere. I'm past feeling sorry for myself about it but still trying to figure out or at least have some explanation to what would of caused that. At least so I don't make the same mistake again.
I've got 2 things I keep questioning myself about and was hoping some of you guys can help me eliminate or confirm my doubts.
1. When I did the last oil change I put 8 quarts in it, But when I checked it on the dipstick it was a little above the mark.
2. I installed the vitesse throttle controller last May and lately as I got used to it, I put it on 8 sport which is almost the max.Not sure if the high rpms from it could of done anything to cause the failure but is it possible ?
Old 11-18-2015, 05:12 PM   #2
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
As much as I don't care about the VTC, its probably because you over filled the oil. Overfilling oil can cause the engine to seize.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:34 PM   #3
tarik1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams76 View Post
As much as I don't care about the VTC, its probably because you over filled the oil. Overfilling oil can cause the engine to seize.
I'm %100 sure I did not add more than 8 quarts. I don't understand what happened.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:42 PM   #4
2SSCAMARO

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto
One thing for sure is the VTC has no role in the incident. Possibilities are one, an oil pump failure. Two the oil level was filled to a point that the crank throws were striking the oil and whipping air into the oil causing foam. When you get it torn down you will see where the oil starvation occurred and whether or not you have a pump failure.

Just livin' life
2SSCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:47 PM   #5
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
Nope. Nothing to do with it.
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:55 PM   #6
tarik1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSCAMARO View Post
One thing for sure is the VTC has no role in the incident. Possibilities are one, an oil pump failure. Two the oil level was filled to a point that the crank throws were striking the oil and whipping air into the oil causing foam. When you get it torn down you will see where the oil starvation occurred and whether or not you have a pump failure.
Is it possible to overfill the oil even though I'm sure I only put 8 quarts ? Did it not drain all the old oil or what ?
Old 11-18-2015, 05:59 PM   #7
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Oil everywhere sounds like a spun bearing and broken connecting rod to me. We need high volume and 5-30 weight to keep our engines happy. The throttle controller has nothing to do with it except making it slightly more responsive and hopefully if your flogging the engine your doing it warmed up well. But that's one engine that will most likely need to be scrapped as a cracked sleeve on these blocks is a death sentence the sleeves are cast in. Good Luck to you though and let us know how the build goes in the future.

A spun bearing can happen and the results are like yours and that means the oil hole to align perfectly with the oil passage ways from the block through the bearing cannot penetrate and thus a unlubricated bearing eating itself up from friction and heat until..... the heat and stress, and from the slop in the bearing make the connecting rod break. Anyway that's my opinion it will have to be looked at on tear down, it could be many things but thats most likely IMO.

I read about the long term tests of the new corvette in like Decembers motor trend and the LT 1 in it spun a bearing with in 7k miles sometimes its just bad luck..... They said they are working out the kinks of deburring the blocks better and the oil filters could even give off crap..so yes its usually better to go on the latter years of a engines implementation in a car as changes do occur over time that are really needed, Like the 2010 had several things that had to be fixed from fire hazard from the battery cables to other things. And our engine was still in use years before the Camaro gen 5 to iron out things better. Anyway good luck to you! And being a 2010 L99 I would be worried about the lifters at that age especially with AFM.....
Old 11-18-2015, 07:45 PM   #8
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik1985 View Post
Hi.
you guys can help me eliminate or confirm my doubts.
1. When I did the last oil change I put 8 quarts in it, But when I checked it on the dipstick it was a little above the mark.
After an oil/filter change it should read slightly above the full mark until the engine is started the first time which will fill the oil filter up. And then from that point, after shutting off the engine and letting it sit for a while it should then read closer to the full mark. Sounds like your oil level was normal and you did not make a mistake there - slightly above the full mark would not cause this problem...
How many miles do you have on the engine? Did CEL or any messages popup immediately prior to the engine failure?
Ron
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:58 PM   #9
2SSCAMARO

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik1985 View Post
Is it possible to overfill the oil even though I'm sure I only put 8 quarts ? Did it not drain all the old oil or what ?
I suppose it is possible if you changed oil on a inclined driveway, enough oil could remain in the pan to cause somewhat of an overfill condition. It would have to be so much overfull that the crank throws hit the oil level to cause foaming and in turn oil starvation. Only a tear down will reveal the cause.

Just livin' life
2SSCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 06:23 AM   #10
spadz93
BUMBL Z

Drives: 2015 ZL1
My money is on a failed oil pump. He put the right amount of oil in, and assuming he used 5w-30, he should have been fine. Like 2sscamaro said though, only a full tear-down will reveal what really happened
Current: 2015 ZL1 M6, Rotofab Intake, LS3 throttle body, 2.55 Upper/9.17 Lower w/ Idler Relocation, DMS Reinforced Brick, ID1050X, 1 7/8" Headers, ProSpeed HX/Reservoir, DSX Aux Pump/Flex Fuel Sensor, E85, McLeod RXT, BMR 1" Drop, Tuned by Pat G
Past: 2010 2SS, some bolt ons, 415rwhp/400rwtq

spadz93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:26 AM   #11
EFI

Drives: something faster than you
Quote:
Overfilling oil can cause the engine to seize.
There's literally nothing about overfilling an engine that's related to said engine seizing. And especially not with 8 quarts of oil.
EFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:26 AM   #12
tarik1985

Well now that I'm thinking about it.. Something wierd happened couple months ago. As I was backing up the car stalled. But it started back up with no problem. Then the same thing happened again a month after that. And in both times it happened when I was in a hurry and backed up pretty quick.. Not sure if it's related at all though.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:04 AM   #13
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
When you say there is oil everywhere do you mean the seals have blown out and the oil is leaking out?

When I change my oil I do no assume that all 8 quarts is drained out and I can safely put in a fresh 8 quarts. I drain as much as I can and then add 7 quarts. The last quart I will check the dip stick and slow add oil and recheck the dip stick until it is where it needs to be at.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:25 PM   #14
tarik1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by rberns View Post
When you say there is oil everywhere do you mean the seals have blown out and the oil is leaking out?

When I change my oil I do no assume that all 8 quarts is drained out and I can safely put in a fresh 8 quarts. I drain as much as I can and then add 7 quarts. The last quart I will check the dip stick and slow add oil and recheck the dip stick until it is where it needs to be at.
When I first looked it was pouring underneath the car. But the mechanic said the oil plug and the filter were still tight and there was a hole somewhere in the block that's where the oil was coming from.