Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 02-22-2014, 03:21 PM   #15
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Drives: 2011 1SS, 1LT red,1LT/RS SGM 98Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRS55 View Post
So 5W-30 Then you would recommend, nothing thicker?
And what's better Amsoil signature or the Vrod to use?

Stick with the 5w-30 on the stock bottom. I dont believe the signature series has the added ZDDP package that the Zrod series does.
HKE LSX427(Mast blk lbl 305 6bolt LS7heads, PatG231/246 blower cam, RWHP/TQ: 1281/1133 SNL Performance Custom Twin PT6766 BB turbos 4 to 25psi selectable on the Boost Leash controller, Squash dual 400LPH/ID2000s, ALKY 4 gal meth, Autometer AFR/Bst/oilpres/oiltemp/fuelpress gauges, Pedders Justice road crs pkg: All HD bushes, supercar 12kg coil overs, supercar ZL1 sways, camber plates all setup by JusticePete! :Gforce 9" 35spline S-Trac, 1500hp Outlaw axles, 3.5"alum DS, Monster Triple disc; 4xForgeline 19x10.5 4xBridgestone 305/30R19 RE-11, CTS-v calipers/rotors/Cobalt friction XR1/3 pads
BullF-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:36 PM   #16
CRTZL1
Banned

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Just wanted to add this, some of my supporting mods arrived toady. That's the last of it.....

I think!! Melling Oil Pump 10296, Katech Timing Chain, and LS2 Damper
Oh and thanks for the info BullF-16
Attached Images

CRTZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:42 PM   #17
fldrummer
"Black Ace"

Drives: Supercharged 2010 SS, 2016 Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRS55 View Post
So 5W-30 Then you would recommend, nothing thicker?
And what's better Amsoil signature or the Vrod to use?

So I'm assuming the Amsoil fits the bill? Curious what are you using now then?

I put my car away every winter for 5 or 6 months, so I change once before I put away and once after usually but never more then 5000 miles I would run.
I'm definietely leaning towards just going with the Amsoil, it seems to be the choice above all. So obviously you would recommend the signature series for me as well?
I'll be switching to Joe Gibbs LS-30 in my rebuilt engine (after break-in).
Mods: Forged 416 LS3, Maggie TVS 2300 SC (~11 psi), custom cam (232/247, .630/.630, 118 LSA), 90-lb. injectors, ZL1 fuel pump & ADM controller, Alky Control meth kit, Monster LT1-SC twin-disk clutch, ZL1 drivetrain conversion w/ DSS 1000-HP axles & 1-pc. driveshaft, CAI Inc. intake w/ ADM scoop, XS Power full exhaust (1 7/8" LT headers with 3" off-road pipes), VMAX CNC-ported TB, LSR adjustable sway bars, LPE rear end-links, BMR 1" drop, BMR polyurethane bushings; UMI trailing arms & toe rods. Built & tuned by Kraftworks. 755 rwhp/708 rwtq
fldrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:41 PM   #18
dan0617

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange SS Convertible
I use the mobil 1 5w30 and I add a bottle of comp cams break in oil with each oil change. It adds the Zinc.

On a SBC flat tappet cam blower setup I tested alot of oil temps in very similar conditions with a digital oil temp gauge and although a few were pretty close Mobil 1 synthetic kept the coolest. The hotter an oil gets the thinner it gets and on an SBC overly thin oil is not good at all. Castrol full synthetic was a close 2nd. I added the comp break in oil then too. Never heard of the Gibbs oil back then or I would have tested it too.

I sometimes wonder on this setup if I should go to some other weight than 5w30 but with the L99 I heard oil weight was critical due to the pump and lifters.
2011 SS IOM Vert. ECS Vortech 13+ psi, Water/Meth, ID850’s, ZL1 pump with MSD Voltage Booster, 2800 stall, LT headers, Drag radials, Drag alignment, Cradle Bushings. A million other supporting mods. Tuned by Ted.
dan0617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:58 PM   #19
CRTZL1
Banned

Good info Dan, Thanks... I'm going to look more into that comp cam break in oil as well..
So do you use one less quart of Mobil then.. how many quarts you use, now that you add the other stuff?
I think at this point though I'll be running the amsoil z rod or the Gibbs..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Last edited by CRTZL1; 02-23-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:25 PM   #20
UNRIVALED SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Send a message via Yahoo to UNRIVALED SS
I run Mobile 1 15W-50. My engine builder isn't Andy but they do a lo of road racing and that's what they specifically say to run in my motor. They recomend it because of the viscosity and the addiditive package. I don't what I would consider a lot, just what's important.

I have a stroked motor in the car making about 600 hp at the wheels. I run it on the street, the 1/8th mile, 1/4 mile. I've driven the thing from the gulf coast to Nashvile TN and back I don't know how many times. I've driven the car the TN, raced on an 1/8th mile track and then driven the ole heap back to the coast. Now you either have confidence you aren't going to break or you're stupid to do things like that. The thing is still driving so I guess the jury is still out on which I am considered.

When I don't run mobile 15-50, I run amsoil Z-rod. I don't run it for the zinc content as previously stated. I run it in the car when I'm going to have it sitting for extended periods of time as this oil has a additive package to prohibit corrosion and the effects of moisture from longer periods of storage. I don't worry abou the zinc because it's not going to get enough miles run on it before I put some mobile back in it anyway. I have made some 1/4 mile runs on Z-rod with no observed issues .

Man don't get wrapped up on brands and sales pitches . Just change it often considering the amount of hard use miles on the oil and you'll always be good. I'm convinced all oil is pretty good and if changed often enough it'll All hold up pretty well.
UNRIVALED SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:09 PM   #21
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNRIVALED SS View Post
When I don't run mobile 15-50, I run amsoil Z-rod. I don't run it for the zinc content as previously stated. I run it in the car when I'm going to have it sitting for extended periods of time as this oil has a additive package to prohibit corrosion and the effects of moisture from longer periods of storage. I don't worry abou the zinc because it's not going to get enough miles run on it before I put some mobile back in it anyway. I have made some 1/4 mile runs on Z-rod with no observed issues .

Man don't get wrapped up on brands and sales pitches . Just change it often considering the amount of hard use miles on the oil and you'll always be good. I'm convinced all oil is pretty good and if changed often enough it'll All hold up pretty well.
This is why I like the Zrod....it DOES have the added ZDDP package as well as the anti corrosion inhibitors. Best of all worlds.
HKE LSX427(Mast blk lbl 305 6bolt LS7heads, PatG231/246 blower cam, RWHP/TQ: 1281/1133 SNL Performance Custom Twin PT6766 BB turbos 4 to 25psi selectable on the Boost Leash controller, Squash dual 400LPH/ID2000s, ALKY 4 gal meth, Autometer AFR/Bst/oilpres/oiltemp/fuelpress gauges, Pedders Justice road crs pkg: All HD bushes, supercar 12kg coil overs, supercar ZL1 sways, camber plates all setup by JusticePete! :Gforce 9" 35spline S-Trac, 1500hp Outlaw axles, 3.5"alum DS, Monster Triple disc; 4xForgeline 19x10.5 4xBridgestone 305/30R19 RE-11, CTS-v calipers/rotors/Cobalt friction XR1/3 pads
Old 02-22-2014, 06:30 PM   #22
UNRIVALED SS

You're right on point about the Z-rod stuff. It really does have numerous desirable qualities and I have full confidence using it. I would bet there is very little difference between the viscosity of 20W-50 and 15W-50 motor oils. The only time I "feel" better with the 15-50 stuff is when I'm going to drive the car in colder weather. Which really isn't that often.

BULL is the first person I've noticed mentioning the Z-rod stuff. I stumbled onto it because of a buddy of mine that uses amsoil in his motorcycles. I have no physical proof of the benefits of its additives yet but I believe what they say about did products. I don't think today's competitive market allows products of that type to sell at a premium price without producing results.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:41 PM   #23
km9v

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS M6
Mobil 1 is a great oil, been using it since 1999 in all my vehicles, even lawn equipment. My wife is a chemical engineer for exxonmobil, she knows what she's talking about when she says it has more engineering & testing than any other oil on the market.
km9v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:20 PM   #24
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNRIVALED SS View Post
You're right on point about the Z-rod stuff. It really does have numerous desirable qualities and I have full confidence using it. I would bet there is very little difference between the viscosity of 20W-50 and 15W-50 motor oils. The only time I "feel" better with the 15-50 stuff is when I'm going to drive the car in colder weather. Which really isn't that often.

BULL is the first person I've noticed mentioning the Z-rod stuff. I stumbled onto it because of a buddy of mine that uses amsoil in his motorcycles. I have no physical proof of the benefits of its additives yet but I believe what they say about did products. I don't think today's competitive market allows products of that type to sell at a premium price without producing results.
I found the Zrod thru research on the road course threads. Many of the big road course guys in California run the Amsoil Zrod and find that the temps are lower and the analysis of the oil after the hard running are much better than the other big names.....smell, feel, look etc. I have yet to run a road course since im still building the car but i will run Amsoil Dominator when i track it hard then change out to Zrod for the corrosion inhibitors.

Now that i am twin turbo, i will change out every 2500 miles. I have been changing at 3000 mile intervals. Probably overkill....it give me an excuse to put the car on jackstands and get under and check the suspension, drivetrain and all other parts. I really need to invest in a Maxxjack

The only difference between the 15w and 20w rating is the cold cranking performance. My car is always garage kept and in North Texas where temps very rarely fall below 32deg so its kind of a non issue.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:08 PM   #25
SGDM

Drives: 2016 2SS
ADM recommends Mobil 1 15W50 for FI cars and it has a very high zinc content. This is from the Mobil web site.

Mobil 1 15W-50 advanced full synthetic motor oil is recommended for all types of vehicles, and is suitable for use in high-performance turbo-charged, supercharged gasoline and diesel multi-valve fuel injected engines found in passenger cars, light vans and trucks.

Use what works and what your builder recommends, do your research. A jug of Mobil 1 is $25 at Walmart, just sayin. You can take an oil sample when you change and send it to Blackstone Labs for analysis, $25 and will tell you what you need to know.

Who Dares...Wins
SGDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:45 AM   #26
UNRIVALED SS

BULL your maintenance schedule is very similar to my own. From my experience, when it comes to depending on a piece of gear or equipment, there is no such thing as overkill on care and maintenance.

On a side note. When is that hotrod going to be finished with the turbo addition? I remember the patience and headache you had with the new fuel system. If I ever wanted to buy a man something to drink and let him talk it out for a while, it was you. Really felt bad for you on that deal. Anyway, good luck with car and I'm looking forward to some honest real world feedback on the turbos.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:46 AM   #27
CRTZL1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullF-16 View Post
Stick with the 5w-30 on the stock bottom. I dont believe the signature series has the added ZDDP package that the Zrod series does.
Hey man Did some research and really liking this amsoil zrod but they don't make it in 5w-30 , it's 10w-30 ...if I want the 5w then I have to go with the amsoil signature series, which looks good too .
So what's up here? Can I do 10w-30 or do I have to stay with the 5w? Is the 10w going to be bad for my application?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2014, 06:36 AM   #28
thebeast916

Drives: Blown G8 GT
I run 10w-40 on stock bottom end in Florida heat.
10w-30 will be just fine for you
thebeast916 is offline   Reply With Quote