Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 03-22-2011, 11:50 PM   #1
Redemption
Just Because!

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SSRS
Steering wheel controls

So driving an M6, the radio controls on the steering wheel are damn near useless. BUT if they were switched with the cruise control controls, I would use them a lot more.

Anyone try diving into switching these? Wonder if it can even be done?

Just thinking out loud.

Jason
Old 03-23-2011, 07:05 AM   #2
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
It's been discussed before. Can't be done. You would need to have new controls fabricated as they wouldn't physically fit if you tried to swap them.
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:37 AM   #3
aj2ssrs

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS
I agree. It would have much more sense to have the controls on the left.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:28 AM   #4
Redemption
Just Because!

Well if Its a matter of the picture on the buttons, doesn't matter to me what the button says. I bet some fm car has a button that will fit in the left side. I was more worried about the wiring.

J

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2011, 10:56 AM   #5
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
It makes better sense to keep both hands on the wheel and only put your hand on the shifter when you need to shift... LOL

Crowley
Old 03-23-2011, 10:59 AM   #6
gr8daneh
460 RWHP 420 RWTQ

Drives: 2SS/RS - IBM LS3 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemption View Post
So driving an M6, the radio controls on the steering wheel are damn near useless. BUT if they were switched with the cruise control controls, I would use them a lot more.

Anyone try diving into switching these? Wonder if it can even be done?

Just thinking out loud.

Jason

I agree. They are useless where they are at for a shifting driver.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:00 PM   #7
Lazerbrainz2k3

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS - M6, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
It makes better sense to keep both hands on the wheel and only put your hand on the shifter when you need to shift... LOL

Crowley
Oh come on, that's only the logical, sensible, safe thing to do - totally unacceptable!

Instead of keeping one hand firmly on the wheel even on those very rare (relative to the total time you spend in the car) times when you're shifting or playing with the radio, like professional drivers do, why not keep one hand cool-ly firmly placed on the shifter and the other hand loosely attached to the wheel when you're not playing with the radio, right?
Lazerbrainz2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:06 PM   #8
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010
I no longer have them... They got deleted.
Come to think of it, cruise control buttons are gone, as well, in my car.

I'll just reach over to the radio. LOL
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:23 PM   #9
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

OK, here's my initial thoughts on making this happen...

The wiring isn't a huge issue as I can offer a harness with the associated wires going to the opposite sides they were originally meant to go. The internal electronics of the switches could be altered to suit these needs. I would have to get a set of each to test on. It would definitely take some work but, I could PROBABLY (key word probably) make it happen. My only concern is how many people would be interested in this and are they OK with the switches not looking like they are now? People can look up the cost of the switches so, they know how much they go for. Will they be willing to pay more for the opposite versions of them? There are engineering costs associated with this. I don't want to waste my time and money on something that only 3 people are going to buy. Just putting this out there.

600hp, do you still have the switches? Would you be willing to donate them as engineering pieces for this mod?
Old 03-23-2011, 03:06 PM   #10
Redemption
Just Because!

DMartel,

Hopefully more people are interested. Its not a HUGE deal to me, but it is annoying as heck. The buttons are opposite on my wifes car, and I like it much better, even though its an automatic.

So (going off memory, not with my car) we would need a different switch to replace the:

Cruise control "ON" since it is a toggle, not a momentary, which is the "tune" on the right side
Same as above, but opposite for the right side
New volume up/down button since that blank on the left side.

And wiring.... I think thats it.

Hmm I need to look at my car! lol

J
Old 03-23-2011, 09:44 PM   #11
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Yeah I was looking closer at mine when I went out to dinner this evening. The up/down volume and the cruise control on/off switches are completely different. The cruise control is two buttons while the volume control is one. They both do the same thing but, I'd have to look on how it worked mechanically to see if I could swap them. If you simply look at the shape of the buttons, you can swap them. It's just they'll be upside down when you have the printed labels on them. If you were to put an overlay on them or paint over the labels, they work the same mechanically.

The wiring harness isn't difficult, especially for a stick shift. Actually, even with tap shift, it's not that difficult either since those stay as is.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:48 PM   #12
Cabrera
Freightrain Coming Ur Way

Drives: V8-1968 & V6-2000 & V6 2010 Camaros
me again looking into this and ran into this post.... my opinion, at least the search button to be switched. I'll keep watch on this and see what developes.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:45 PM   #13
Cabrera
Freightrain Coming Ur Way

Drives: V8-1968 & V6-2000 & V6 2010 Camaros