Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-23-2012, 11:07 AM   #1
DHSS

Drives: Empty
TEST DRIVE LAST NIGHT: ZL1 RACE BLUE 6-SPEED

I went to the chevy dealer thats by the dealership that I work at last night around 6pm to test drive a ZL1 and a Grand Sport to make my final decision. First attempted to drive the Grand Sport and the battery was dead. I was really excited about this car, race blue 6-speed 3LT with navigation. Ive owned two corvettes before (2005, 2008) and this is the first time ive seen the battery in one of the cubby holes in the hatch. Must be new. Anyways, we proceeded to test drive the ZL1 while the porter attempted to jump the Grand Sport. First off, when I first started the car the exhaust sounds absolutely AMAZING!!! Next, intial take off felt just like my SS with full exhaust and tune that I traded in january. So we turn on to the road and merge onto the freeway. I didnt get on it too hard b/c I hear you guys talk about the break in period and I didnt want to ruin someone elses car as I dont want the race blue if I decide to go with the ZL1. I really wasnt impressed with the power of the car. The car seems so big and so heavy that I guess I was expecting the power to feel like SO MUCH MORE then what it actually did. Loved the sound of the car and the new my link but that was about it. Am I missing something? Does this car wake up after the break in period??? Car had 34 miles on it when I took the test drive. Oh yeah, Grand Sport never did charge up so I will drive one of those on my lunch break tomorrow and purchase tomorrow night or tuesday morning. Guess I was just expecting so much more from the ZL. My 2011 SS dyno'd 424 to wheels with headers, xpipe and 3" magnaflow and it was fun to drive. Is it the 400 lb weight difference that is causing me to feel my SS was just as fun as the ZL to drive?

So confused, but very excited to have a fast car again very soon.
DHSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #2
Taser Deployed

Drives: 2012 Blk ZL1
In stock form the ZL1 will feel like a lightly modded SS except it rides smoother. The thing that does it for me is that the ZL1 looks better (subjective but like I said "does it for me"), sounds amazing, and is a damn good platform to start from if you're the modding type. IMO it's apples and oranges when comparing a ZL1 to a Grand Sport. The ZL1 is heavier and feels heavier which to me isn't necessarily a bad thing unless you plan on using your car for more than just the street.
Taser Deployed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHSS View Post
I didnt get on it too hard.........I really wasnt impressed with the power of the car.

ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #4
Taser Deployed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
Lol I was thinking the same thing.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
Dealer probably filled it with 87 octane.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #6
ZL1 Spoked

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Lol, don't ever compare the ss to the ZL1. Day and night difference.

604 RWHP 602 LBS/TQ
ZL1 Spoked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:28 PM   #7
TJR1952

Drives: 2013 2LT
Quote:
I went to the chevy dealer thats by the dealership that I work at last night around 6pm to test drive a ZL1 and a Grand Sport to make my final decision. First attempted to drive the Grand Sport and the battery was dead. I was really excited about this car, race blue 6-speed 3LT with navigation. Ive owned two corvettes before (2005, 2008) and this is the first time ive seen the battery in one of the cubby holes in the hatch. Must be new. Anyways, we proceeded to test drive the ZL1 while the porter attempted to jump the Grand Sport. First off, when I first started the car the exhaust sounds absolutely AMAZING!!! Next, intial take off felt just like my SS with full exhaust and tune that I traded in january. So we turn on to the road and merge onto the freeway. I didnt get on it too hard b/c I hear you guys talk about the break in period and I didnt want to ruin someone elses car as I dont want the race blue if I decide to go with the ZL1. I really wasnt impressed with the power of the car. The car seems so big and so heavy that I guess I was expecting the power to feel like SO MUCH MORE then what it actually did. Loved the sound of the car and the new my link but that was about it. Am I missing something? Does this car wake up after the break in period??? Car had 34 miles on it when I took the test drive. Oh yeah, Grand Sport never did charge up so I will drive one of those on my lunch break tomorrow and purchase tomorrow night or tuesday morning. Guess I was just expecting so much more from the ZL. My 2011 SS dyno'd 424 to wheels with headers, xpipe and 3" magnaflow and it was fun to drive. Is it the 400 lb weight difference that is causing me to feel my SS was just as fun as the ZL to drive?

This was not a fair comparison. Remind me when i put a supercharger in my 2005 SSR. When i picked it up from the shop i expected all this unbelievable power. For the first 500 miles , break-in , i drove around disapointed for all the money i had spent. I'll always remember the first time i nailed it , i could not believe where all this power came from. This vehicle turned into a totally different vehicle. The problem was i could not drive it without putting my foot into it. This was bad for my wallet.
TJR1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:38 PM   #8
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taser Deployed View Post
In stock form the ZL1 will feel like a lightly modded SS except it rides smoother. The thing that does it for me is that the ZL1 looks better (subjective but like I said "does it for me"), sounds amazing, and is a damn good platform to start from if you're the modding type. IMO it's apples and oranges when comparing a ZL1 to a Grand Sport. The ZL1 is heavier and feels heavier which to me isn't necessarily a bad thing unless you plan on using your car for more than just the street.
Like a lightly modded SS ? really ? it comes from the factory with like 45% more HP than the SS , can you explain it to me ?
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:10 PM   #9
Taser Deployed

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfriend View Post
Like a lightly modded SS ? really ? it comes from the factory with like 45% more HP than the SS , can you explain it to me ?
I should have been more specific instead of saying "lightly". I think an SS (LS3) with a CAI, headers, exhaust, and a good tune (maybe a few other minor extras) could achieve similar power to a stock ZL1. With all of that and a supercharger or Cam (or both) and I think you have a more powerful car. You disagree? I may be giving the SS too much credit lol.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:41 PM   #10
phantom
phantom

Drives: 2012 ZL1 CRT 6M
I had a 2010 2SS and traded it on my CRT 6M 12 ZL1. At 2000 miles I finally decided to stand on it, the result was so much power I was immediately adrenalized, totally surprised, and when I let off the gas elated that I had waited for this vehicle. I'm not saying buy one now because the C6 GS is fantastic, but at 6'6" I don't have a choice, the cabin on the GS is way to tight. What I am saying is the stock ZL1 becomes a beast with unlimited potential after break-in. It's easily moded to 650 HP, and for a large sport vehicle will satisfy your need for automotive adrenalin quest, as will the GS.
phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:55 PM   #11
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:

I too have had numerous Corvettes over the years and the Z is my first Camaro. I love the extra room in the Z compared to the Vette and the ability to have a trunk as well is a nice feature compared to a Vette coupe. My 67 Vette has gotten very little seat time since I received the Z, I just totally enjoy driving it all the time. Granted it has considerably more HP than the Vette but it is also a more enjoyable ride. The clincher for me over buying a new Vette came when I was tracking the Z at Homestead Race Track. On the last session of the day there was a guy driving a Z06 ahead of me. I gained a little bit on him each lap until the final laps when I braked late and turned in sharp and passed him on the back straight and turned down into turn 10 through the esses and back on the front straight ahead of him. I knew he was a novice like myself but it was very satisfying just the same. If the Z06 had a more advanced driver, I might not have ever gotten close to him. But the Z just inspires confidence with each turn. Good luck with your decision. Both cars are great and neither car will be a wrong choice.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:10 PM   #12
AUS10BMX

Drives: 2010
Quote:
I really wasnt impressed with the power of the car. The car seems so big and so heavy that I guess I was expecting the power to feel like SO MUCH MORE then what it actually did. Loved the sound of the car and the new my link but that was about it. Am I missing something? Does this car wake up after the break in period???
I had the opportunity to test drive one as well, and you couldn't have said it any better to what I felt. I'm sure depending on fuel and break in period it gets better, but I really wasn't blown away compared to what I think I was expecting to feel.
AUS10BMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:18 PM   #13
Rubble2240

Drives: 13 BRM ZL1
The power is just super smooth. Sure they could have made it feel jerkier....but hey how did that Lamborghini do in the MotorTrend best drivers car this year. Oh yea they tore it apart cause it drove jerky and had no brakes. Zl1 is refined and stops on a dime!
Rubble2240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:27 PM   #14
DHSS

Drives: Empty
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
I drove the car, just didn't rag on it!
DHSS is offline   Reply With Quote