Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 12-28-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
Roger Stattel

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1ss
bmr solid cradle bushings and diff

Hey the job is in progress and the instructions say to pull the whole cradle out? Is there a way to leave the cradle in and still switch them out. Also does the suspension have to be taken out?
Roger Stattel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #2
SlowTurtle

Drives: camaro turtle
drop cradle 1 inch. put socket between bushing and frame. jack cradle until car lifts off jackstands. apply mapp gas torch to bushing hole, trying to heat it as uniformly as possible. wait until bushing pops out. takes 30 minutes for all 4 and suuspension stays.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:48 PM   #3
tanur420

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
would that also be adequate clearance to install the trailing arms/toe rod? i cant remember which, but i read one of them needs cradle dropped to install because a bolt wont clear
Old 12-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #4
Roger Stattel

So just take off the 4 main bolts on the cradle and the weight will cause it to drop an inch? And thanks for your help, I figured there would be an easier way than pulling the entire cradle. What size socket did u wedge in there? Is it safe using a torch so close to gas tank?
Old 12-28-2013, 07:50 PM   #5
Synner

Drives: cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanur420 View Post
would that also be adequate clearance to install the trailing arms/toe rod? i cant remember which, but i read one of them needs cradle dropped to install because a bolt wont clear
Lowered not dropped, the process is the same. Remove 2 bolts and loosen the other side, do your work, switch sides and repeat.

You need to undo a fuel pump harness connector and pop the parking brake cables out as well. I had to undo the lower shock bolt as well since the shocks were preventing it from dropping as much as I needed it to. I believe that was all.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #6
Synner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Stattel View Post
So just take off the 4 main bolts on the cradle and the weight will cause it to drop an inch? And thanks for your help, I figured there would be an easier way than pulling the entire cradle. What size socket did u wedge in there? Is it safe using a torch so close to gas tank?
Removing all 4 at once while you're underneath it will result in your death if you're not bracing everything with a heavy duty jack. Assuming you also need to remove the shock bolts which I definitely had to. Nothing will be holding your cradle up at that point other than your brake lines. Don't.

Remove 2, loosen 2. Ensure adequate thread engagement to not let it strip and fall on you.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:01 PM   #7
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
Your going to have to undo the strut from the lower control arm to get the cradle low enough to do the rear bushings in the cradle. You can get the old rear bushing out but putting the BMR bushing in your going to have to drop it lower than 1". The alignment stud is the problem.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:35 PM   #8
SlowTurtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Removing all 4 at once while you're underneath it will result in your death if you're not bracing everything with a heavy duty jack. Assuming you also need to remove the shock bolts which I definitely had to. Nothing will be holding your cradle up at that point other than your brake lines. Don't.

Remove 2, loosen 2. Ensure adequate thread engagement to not let it strip and fall on you.
The shocks will actually hold it up, however I wouldnt recommend loosening all four at once. I removed three and loosened the fourth and just worked in a circle.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:45 PM   #9
Synner

True, but mine had to come out to get it low enough for the bushings to do in and stockers cut out. At the time I did it no one knew about the heating and socket method, not sure if that changes things.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:54 AM   #10
randy's2012

Drives: 2SS/RS, supercharged LS3
Just got done last week installing the solid cradle bushings on my 2012 SS. I did like the guys on here said about just the rear frame down one side at a time. It took some work to get the back ones out due to the guide that is part of the frame and goes inside the rear cradle bushing itself. That steel guide that is part of the frame sticks down another 3 inches which made it harder to work the old one out and to get the new one in. But was able to do it no problem just take some time. Changed all four in less then 4 hours from start to finish without removing exhaust or dropping the frame out of the car. Also replaced the springs all the way around at the same time dropping the car 1" (at least I think it is only 1"). Got a 4 wheel alignment and am ready for spring time to roll around.
randy's2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:59 PM   #11
Roger Stattel

Ok so my subframe bushings were a cake walk doing it that way. Unfortunately I am having trouble getting the rear differential front driver side bushing out. I already drilled out the center using a 2" hole saw so have to continue. All that is left is bushing sleeve. I tried to start using a screwdriver to get it out from back side but am struggling because of the rear diff housing and the angle I have to chisel at. Any suggestions?
Old 12-29-2013, 09:18 PM   #12
SlowTurtle

sawzall the bushing case in half. once its cut through the bushing will lose all tension and come right out. take care not to butcher your housing in the process
Old 12-29-2013, 09:38 PM   #13
Roger Stattel

I don't know if I trust my self but will have to try that if no other suggestions.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:15 PM   #14
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowTurtle View Post
drop cradle 1 inch. put socket between bushing and frame. jack cradle until car lifts off jackstands. apply mapp gas torch to bushing hole, trying to heat it as uniformly as possible. wait until bushing pops out. takes 30 minutes for all 4 and suuspension stays.
Do you mean heat the metal around the bushing or the center of the bushing? The fronts are close to the gas tank which makes me a bit nervous. Are you heating from below the cradle in a circular movement around the bushing?
wakespeak is offline   Reply With Quote