Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-28-2008, 06:19 PM   #1
lakers

Drives: cars
any gen V engine updates??

ive read the article about the new gen V small blocks that are being developed right now and i was wondering if anyone has any new information about when they will start being made + new target numbers for hp or mpg. maybe whiterag can chime in on this. another important question is when might we see this engine in the camaro? i would guess the corvette will get it first but who knows
lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 06:29 PM   #2
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakers View Post
ive read the article about the new gen V small blocks that are being developed right now and i was wondering if anyone has any new information about when they will start being made + new target numbers for hp or mpg. maybe whiterag can chime in on this. another important question is when might we see this engine in the camaro? i would guess the corvette will get it first but who knows
expect a year or so after it reaches the vette.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 06:41 PM   #3
jmliptak

Drives: D
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
expect a year or so after it reaches the vette.
The only thing we have heard is very indirect in GM's recent announcement about capital spending cuts that they were cutting back development on V8 engines and diverting towards smaller engines. What that means to the GenV and its timing is unknown...
jmliptak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:39 PM   #4
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmliptak View Post
The only thing we have heard is very indirect in GM's recent announcement about capital spending cuts that they were cutting back development on V8 engines and diverting towards smaller engines. What that means to the GenV and its timing is unknown...
notice I did not give a time line. my post was in reference to the fact that if/when it hits the vette it will be a year or two till it hits the camaro.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:58 PM   #5
jmliptak

Drives: D
Don't disagree, sooner would be better for EVERYBODY....I just hope the timeline does not get stretched too far...The volume of V8s for trucks provides a lot of economies of scale even though the engines are not identical...
jmliptak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:30 PM   #6
edbrick

Drives: 2009 GXP -2007 MustangGT--Wife
I was thinking about the new engine too. If I buy a Corvette or Camaro I should wait for the new generation engine. If it comes out a year after I buy the car i will be pissed.
edbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:09 PM   #7
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
This is suppose to be a pretty high tech engine it sounds. Let's hope we see it soon.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:34 PM   #8
gunslinger

Drives: 1998 Z28 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmliptak View Post
Don't disagree, sooner would be better for EVERYBODY....I just hope the timeline does not get stretched too far...The volume of V8s for trucks provides a lot of economies of scale even though the engines are not identical...
The V8 volume for pick-up trucks is what allows us to have a truly world-class V8 (no matter how many pushrods it has) for a price that is likely cheaper than any other V8 making the same HP and torque...
gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:51 PM   #9
Grape Ape

Drives: 96 Bronco w/ a 5 speed
I think that the truck market may also save the GenV V8 program. If fuel prices and public opinion stay the way they are, then anyone who can find a way to significantly improve the mileage of their pickups without neutering them will own the pickup market until the competition catches up.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:44 AM   #10
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
it was the northstar V8 program that got shelved. the gen V is still going as far as I know.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:13 PM   #11
asrapid

Drives: Stratus
What i've read is that it was Ultra v8 engine that was cancelled. That engine was supposed to go in Cadillac and it was DOHC v8 with displacement between 4.6 and 6.0 l, DI etc.
Gen V is CIB (cam in block) engine with DI, VVT, etc (according to rumors) and it is not engine that is ment to go in cadillac but in corvette so the engine is still on. But, according to rumors, it will be presented in new corvette C7 which could come in 2012 or something like that. Also rumors are that engine could have 3 valves per cylinder instead of 2 but there is no confirmation for that.
asrapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:30 PM   #12
Dan

Drives: 2004 GTO
If its a DOHC engine then it should already have 4 valves per cylinder.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 04:37 PM   #13
ralniv

Drives: far too much
I wait with bated breath for the Gen V V8 Camaro. I have high expectations for improvements to both power and fuel efficiency. I'd love to see a Gen V based Camaro SS with 440hp and a highway rating of 28 mpg. The fuel economy figure will be a tough target to meet because the engine has to pull a 2 ton chubby around.

Don't expect revolutionary changes on the Gen V. We're talking about an overhead cylinder (OHC) engine with 4 valves per cylinder, variable valve timing, and advanced fuel management (cylinder deactivation). Source.
ralniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:47 PM   #14
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by asrapid View Post
What i've read is that it was Ultra v8 engine that was cancelled. That engine was supposed to go in Cadillac and it was DOHC v8 with displacement between 4.6 and 6.0 l, DI etc.
Gen V is CIB (cam in block) engine with DI, VVT, etc (according to rumors) and it is not engine that is ment to go in cadillac but in corvette so the engine is still on. But, according to rumors, it will be presented in new corvette C7 which could come in 2012 or something like that. Also rumors are that engine could have 3 valves per cylinder instead of 2 but there is no confirmation for that.
I know GM was working on 3 valves for the LS7 but ditched the idea because it was too complicated and didn't offer much benefit. Perhaps they decided that it would be more feasible to design it in from the start. Same with DI, VVT and AFM?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote