Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Old 10-18-2013, 06:34 AM   #15
Drew P

Drives: Camaro ZL1
If you drive in sub-50 degree weather with the stock tires, its just a matter of time until you regret it. My experience with the Pilot Super Sports: Cold - makes very little difference, Rain - nearly the same control and grip as in the dry. I was very impressed with wet handling. If you are looking for a dedicated track tire, the stock tires are great. For the street and daily driving the Pilot Super Sports are the best of both worlds. I have no experience with these tires on snow, and doubt it would be a good experience.
Mods: ID850 Injectors; D3PE HX, Reservoir & Atmospheric Catch-Can; LPE 2.55 Upper & 9.1 Lower Pulleys w/ ATI Damper; LPE Idler Pulley Relocation Bracket; "Green" Serp. Belt; Cat delete;ADM Exhaust Override; Magnaflow X-Pipe Muffler (in addition to stock mufflers); Cold Air Inductions CAI; 160 thermostat; LS9 Isolator; Port/polish snout and intake runners; LPE GT9 camshaft with dual springs and titanium retainers; Kenne Bell BAP, Install and Engine Tune by Serious Hp; Fab work by D3 Performance Engineering; Trans Tune by Keith; Coming Soon: Flex Fuel Conversion.
Drew P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:50 AM   #16
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
I was able to drive in the cold with the original stock tires but took great care. They have very little traction under 50 degrees. Spin the tires with ease even in 4th gear.

The Michelin's are awesome! Much better in cold and rain.
Happy_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:01 AM   #17
boondocksaint
Cartoon Maus

Drives: White ZL1, Chevroyota Prizolla
Thanks for the responses. Food for thought.
boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:30 AM   #18
silverds
2015 SS 6M

Drives: 2015 SS 6M
Now that we've been under frost warnings for a few days now. I can comment on how the Michelin Pilot Super Sports feel, to me, when cold.

They completely eclipse the GoodYears for grip in cold temps. They feel stickier at 40 deg than the Good Years felt at 70. Considering how hyped the Good Years were, I don't think they were chosen for their superior grip. From my experience so far, Im already more confident driving on the Michelins for the winter.

If I had to nit pick from my experience so far, I would say that the Michelins insulate road feel. On the Goodyears in PTM5 I felt like I could read the road like it was Braille.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:01 PM   #19
boondocksaint
Cartoon Maus

Drives: White ZL1, Chevroyota Prizolla
As long as it's above freezing, I'll be riding on the Goodyears. Otherwise the car will be parked, and I will has a sad.
boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:20 PM   #20
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocksaint View Post
I live in the moderate climate of Charlotte, NC. I drive my Zed probably once a week and on long road trips (and to the track, when that opportunity presents itself). There's the backstory.

During the holiday season, I do a lot of long-distance driving. That means winter, though not snow on the routes I travel. I know the F1s on the car are supposedly no good under 40 degrees and the manufacturer says not to use them on roads under 20 degrees.

Typical tarmac temps in winter, during the day where I travel, can approach freezing, but not much lower. However, that is a gamble.

My question for you is, should I re-shoe the car for winter driving (again, not in snow or salt). I will not be buying another set of wheels, just tires (which will probably be appropriately sized Conti DWS).

For those who have driven the stock rubber in low temps, what are your thoughts? I've seen varying reports and was wondering if a consensus had been reached. I'd rather not take my daily beater on a long trip.
...yes, get some winter tires.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #21
djnice

Drives: 13 ZL1 SIM, 99 Z28 Black
I drove with my GY's in 35 in both dry and rain. They were fine. They do slide and spin more, but if you go the speed limit around corners and don't get on it hard you won't slide. Maybe put it in rain mode.

I have the DWS tires now and they are a much better all season street tire. It makes the car more fun to drive every day. I hated how the GY's picked up all the rocks.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:23 PM   #22
white ZL1

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverds View Post
I chose a more square setup than most, on the Michelins, 285/35ZR20(104Y) Front, 295/35ZR20(105Y) Rear.
I think I'm going the same direction. Can you take a couple of pics of the rears so that I can see how they "stretch" on the 11" wide rims?
Also a shot from the side so I can see if the .3" shorter tire is actually noticable?
white ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:32 PM   #23
Brownster

Drives: 1966 GTO Convertible/ZL1 Vert
+1
Brownster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:40 PM   #24
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocksaint View Post
I live in the moderate climate of Charlotte, NC. I drive my Zed probably once a week and on long road trips (and to the track, when that opportunity presents itself). There's the backstory.

During the holiday season, I do a lot of long-distance driving. That means winter, though not snow on the routes I travel. I know the F1s on the car are supposedly no good under 40 degrees and the manufacturer says not to use them on roads under 20 degrees.

Typical tarmac temps in winter, during the day where I travel, can approach freezing, but not much lower. However, that is a gamble.

My question for you is, should I re-shoe the car for winter driving (again, not in snow or salt). I will not be buying another set of wheels, just tires (which will probably be appropriately sized Conti DWS).

For those who have driven the stock rubber in low temps, what are your thoughts? I've seen varying reports and was wondering if a consensus had been reached. I'd rather not take my daily beater on a long trip.
YES. If you value your safety, and that of others on the road and of your car itself...get winter tires if you plan to drive it in the winter. The Goodyears have one critical disadvantage: cold temps. They are miserable in the cold.

Does the car still roll? Yes...is it made of glass? No.....but the minute that freak situation occurs - your stopping distance in the cold will not be enough.

Please, please, please....from someone who's driven that car for two years, and plans to get a 1LE with the same rubber: GET WINTER TIRES. (I am )

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverds View Post
Considering how hyped the Good Years were, I don't think they were chosen for their superior grip.
Make no mistake - that is exactly why they were chosen. Especially lateral grip...Have you driven on the OE tires around a track, yet?
Old 10-27-2013, 04:49 PM   #25
Tyler H
XLR8TNG

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Don't mess around with the cold temps! My car had never been driven yet and the dealer delivered mine to me via flat deck on Boxing Day last year. I had paid for the car and had asked them to just keep it there until a warmer day for flat deck transport but nooooo they had to get it off the lot and and had a flat deck deliver the car to me. I even asked about the tire bulletin warnings and they chose to ignore it. It was -7 Celsius which is approx 17 F and my tires cracked from rolling the car 10 feet. In the spring the dealership replaced the tires no charge but they were not to happy about it. Those who roll the dice in regards to cold weather driving on F1 G2's at some point will get burnt! Don't mess with your safety!
Tyler H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:24 PM   #26
silverds
2015 SS 6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by white 2SS/RS View Post
I think I'm going the same direction. Can you take a couple of pics of the rears so that I can see how they "stretch" on the 11" wide rims?
Also a shot from the side so I can see if the .3" shorter tire is actually noticable?
I have some cellphone pics. I hope these are helpful.

Last edited by silverds; 10-29-2013 at 03:26 PM.
silverds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #27
white ZL1

Drives: none
They are. I hate to ask, but can you take 2 more?
Just like the first, but closer to the car and just like the 2nd but just a few feet more to the left so that you can see the rim and the sidewall of the tire?
white ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:14 PM   #28
silverds
2015 SS 6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Make no mistake - that is exactly why they were chosen. Especially lateral grip...Have you driven on the OE tires around a track, yet?
I have made no mistake, I simply stated my opinion. I know why GM Marketing says they were chosen, and I know that many who have driven on the track might agree. However, as the car is marketed as a great "all-rounder", there seem...(***TO ME*** )...to be better tires than the Good Years for that broader scope.

From personal experience, I couldn't even speak to a comparison between the two tires when it comes to lateral grip, but I spend many more miles exploiting the longtitudinal grip, wet and cold performance, than I do lateral grip of my tires.

Last edited by silverds; 10-27-2013 at 07:09 PM.
silverds is offline   Reply With Quote