Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-24-2009, 01:59 PM   #1
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Final rules for Cash for Clunkers released

Here are the final rules for the program.

http://www.cars.gov/files/TheRule.pdf
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 04:28 PM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
That's a huge document.

For readers:

If you open it and find page 27; the bottom half of the page starts the critera for eligible vehicles.
Old 07-25-2009, 04:46 PM   #3
Vash

Yea my bad for not linking the easier to digest version.

http://www.cars.gov/faq

Remember the old car they use the original sticker combined MPG. Which is silly cause it's more confusing. The new car uses the new combined MPG lol.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:55 PM   #4
pglover19

Drives: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
Yea my bad for not linking the easier to digest version.

http://www.cars.gov/faq

Remember the old car they use the original sticker combined MPG. Which is silly cause it's more confusing. The new car uses the new combined MPG lol.
Are you sure about that? If you look on page 32 in the official Rule document (http://www.cars.gov/files/TheRule.pdf) at the very last paragraph called "Combined Fuel Economy", it states that you look at the combined number under the heading "Estimated New EPA MPG" on the fueleconomy.gov website for your clunker vehicle.

Please confirm...
pglover19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:01 PM   #5
pglover19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pglover19 View Post
Are you sure about that? If you look on page 32 in the official Rule document (http://www.cars.gov/files/TheRule.pdf) at the very last paragraph called "Combined Fuel Economy", it states that you look at the combined number under the heading "Estimated New EPA MPG" on the fueleconomy.gov website for your clunker vehicle.

Please confirm...
Here is another article that clarifies the rule..
http://www.detnews.com/article/20090...318/1148/rss25
Old 07-25-2009, 10:07 PM   #6
jschuler
WildCat

Drives: 2LT Imperial blue/biege
Since they are not specific about models of vehicles than the Camaro is technically eligible as long as our old clunker meets requirements and the difference between the two (gas mileage combo) meets requirements, correct?
jschuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:23 PM   #7
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschuler View Post
Since they are not specific about models of vehicles than the Camaro is technically eligible as long as our old clunker meets requirements and the difference between the two (gas mileage combo) meets requirements, correct?
The automatic V6 Camaro is eligible if you have the right clunker to trade in..
Old 07-26-2009, 05:52 AM   #8
pglover19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
The automatic V6 Camaro is eligible if you have the right clunker to trade in..
I think my clunker qualify.. I have a 1993 Mitsubishi 3000GT automatic and the estimated NEW COMBINED EPA MPG is 18. In addition I met all the other qualifications such as owning the vehicle for a least 1 year, clean title, insurance, etc.

I have a 2010 2LT automatic Camaro on order at status code 1100. My order is next in line to be picked up by GM from the dealer which is expected this week (July 30th).

Several questions...
1. Does I qualify based on the information provided so far?
2. Must the new vehicle be manufactured in the US?
3. How do I know that my dealer is participating in the Clusters plan or based on the law, all dealers must participate?
Old 07-26-2009, 07:33 AM   #9
Vash

Quote:
I think my clunker qualify.. I have a 1993 Mitsubishi 3000GT automatic and the estimated NEW COMBINED EPA MPG is 18. In addition I met all the other qualifications such as owning the vehicle for a least 1 year, clean title, insurance, etc.

I have a 2010 2LT automatic Camaro on order at status code 1100. My order is next in line to be picked up by GM from the dealer which is expected this week (July 30th).

Several questions...
1. Does I qualify based on the information provided so far?
2. Must the new vehicle be manufactured in the US?
3. How do I know that my dealer is participating in the Clusters plan or based on the law, all dealers must participate?
Yea looks like I was wrong on the new vs old sticker.

Ok on your q's. You should go to the cars site they have a tool where you input your vehicle and the one you want and it will give you all the info.

All USA dealers participate.

Here is what they are supposed to do to the engine. :(

I can't watch or listen to that it would freak me out. Quote from the final rules pdf.

Quote:
Dealers will have to remove "the engine oil from the crankcase, replacing it with a 40 percent solution of sodium silicate (a substance used in similar concentrations in many common vehicle applications, including patching mufflers and radiators), and (run) the engine for a short period of time at low speeds (rendering) the engine inoperable," NHTSA said. In a July 21 letter, the National Automobile Dealers Association argued that Congress did not assign the task of making the engine inoperable to the dealers, and that if required to do so, the dealers should be paid.

"We believe that having the engine permanently disabled at the dealer greatly reduces the risk of fraud," said NHTSA, adding that disabling the engines will cost dealers no more than $30.

Last edited by Vash; 07-26-2009 at 10:10 AM. Reason: added info
Old 07-26-2009, 10:50 AM   #10
jschuler
WildCat

Drives: 2LT Imperial blue/biege
I could be wrong but I think your clunker has to be older than 2001.....
jschuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:20 AM   #11
Vash

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschuler View Post
I could be wrong but I think your clunker has to be older than 2001.....
That's only for Cat 3 which are heavy trucks. Like towtrucks etc 8500 GVWR+.

Cat 1 and 2 are up to 25 years old with no min age.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:05 PM   #12
pglover19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
Yea looks like I was wrong on the new vs old sticker.

Ok on your q's. You should go to the cars site they have a tool where you input your vehicle and the one you want and it will give you all the info.

All USA dealers participate.

Here is what they are supposed to do to the engine. :(

I can't watch or listen to that it would freak me out. Quote from the final rules pdf.
I was on the cars.gov website and found that my GM dealer is one of the participating dealers. You can find whether or not your dealer participates by clicking on the Dealer Locator button on the cars.gov website..

On one of the other forums, a member posted the following comment about the program....

"Just an item to note, the "voucher" price, whatever that is, is ON TOP of the scrap value price that the dealer must disclose and give you for your "clunker". So for example, if they say your car is worth $200 scrap, and you qualify for a 4500 voucher, you actually get a $4700 credit. It's cumulative, not exclusive.

If anyone does this, just keep that in mind."

Cam someone point me to the specific language in the plan to confirm the above statement. Based on the research I have done so far, I qualify. Hopefully my car will be delivered before Nov. 1, 2009 or there is still money let in the plan.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:19 PM   #13
Vash

Hum well I don't know about the scrap value added on.

Kia is offering Spectra LX for $5,500 bucks with matched 3500 dollar incentive on top of the 4500 most qualify for. (just an example of stuff going on).
Old 07-26-2009, 03:27 PM   #14
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
I was on the cars.gov website and found that my GM dealer is one of the participating dealers. You can find whether or not your dealer participates by clicking on the Dealer Locator button on the cars.gov website..

On one of the other forums, a member posted the following comment about the program....

"Just an item to note, the "voucher" price, whatever that is, is ON TOP of the scrap value price that the dealer must disclose and give you for your "clunker". So for example, if they say your car is worth $200 scrap, and you qualify for a 4500 voucher, you actually get a $4700 credit. It's cumulative, not exclusive.

If anyone does this, just keep that in mind."

Cam someone point me to the specific language in the plan to confirm the above statement. Based on the research I have done so far, I qualify. Hopefully my car will be delivered before Nov. 1, 2009 or there is still money let in the plan.
Sorry but I've read though the whole PDF and every time the PDF talks about the scrap value is when the dealer sells the scrapped car. Nothing I have found says that you get the scrap value plus the voucher.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote