Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 07-10-2009, 09:19 AM   #57
ud_lose

Drives: '04 Ford F250 6.0L/'69 vette LS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
I have no problem with police and have always been treated fairly by them...except the one night they pulled me over because "it's the time of night where most people are driving drunk"...don't get me started on that one. But anyway, the only thing that pisses me off is when u see a cop flying down the road 10+ over on non-highway roads with no lights on, not chasing anyone..just going fast. I HATE that, if you have cause to speed, put on your lights so you're not a hazard yourself.

Maybe the police on here could give me a possible explanation why I see cops doing this all the time. Is there ever a reason to speed that excessively without your lights on? And I thought it was illegal for them to speed without their lights on??
Yes we can drive over the speed limit without our lights on..and there are many reasons that would warrant this kind of driving. Such as a robbery in-progress (wouldn't want the bad guys to hear or see you coming). Maybe your a cover car and just a little farther away, and your primary car has arrived. We try to get to every call as fast and safely as possible, because we know that there is someone waiting for us. When you call/need the cops, time seems to slow down as you wait for them to show up. People complain all the time that they called 5 min. ago, why did it take us so long to arrive. Not saying this is you, but I have found that the people that call in to complain about a cop driving fast without light are the same people that will complain about how long it took the cops to arrive when they need them.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:26 AM   #58
1320junkie

Drives: The Imperial Army
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplayer View Post
Oh please. I have college degree and a job in engineering. Being a police officer never entered my mind.
I have two college degrees and I break a lot of laws civilians are not allowed to. I'm a Federal L.E.O. Threads like these make me respect officers on a local and state level that much more because of the crap that they have to deal with on a daily basis.
1320junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:28 AM   #59
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
What i've never understood is the chase videos you see of officers following right behind a suspect going 80mph through a red light. I understand you don't want to lose the guy, but as a fireman we can get suspended for not stopping for a red light, even with the lights on. Not complaining, just curious. Keep up the good work!
Old 07-10-2009, 09:29 AM   #60
ud_lose

Drives: '04 Ford F250 6.0L/'69 vette LS6
Quote:
This is exactly what bothers me about cops. Since when is "attitude" or being "mouthy" a criminal offense? It's a big power trip. Don't piss off the cop because he has the power to retaliate.

I always wondered about warnings. Are those actual methods of law enforcement that are written down somewhere? It's an obvious method to show favoritism to certain people. Like if a friend or local politician is pulled over. Or maybe the wife of a cop. Think about it, someone breaks the law so you decide to pull them over. Why should there be any other element that decides if they get punished for breaking that law? They either did nor did not. Attitude or gender or who they are should not enter into the equation.

As far as I can see, every cop should get an automatic ticket every week because they always violate multiple laws every time I see one. They always drive way over the speed limit, and they also tailgate on the highway. Plus my favorite is when they jump out from behind a tree and point a radar gun at your car. If you jumped out from behind a tree and pointed something at them, that would be sufficient cause for them to shoot at you - so I don't see why they are allowed to do it.
And to this all I have is......

"Yes Me the Lousy Cop"

Well Mr. Citizen, I guess you have me figured out. I seem to fit neatly into the category you place me in. I'm stereotyped, characterized, standardized, classified, grouped, and always typical. I'm the "lousy cop." Unfortunately, the reverse isn't true. I can never figure you out.

From birth you teach your children that I am the bogeyman, and then you're shocked when they identify me with my traditional enemy, the criminal. You accuse me of coddling juveniles, until I catch your kid doing something. You may take an hour for lunch, and have several coffee breaks each day, but point me out as a loafer if you see me having just one cup.

You pride yourself on your polished manners, but think nothing of interrupting my meals at noon with your troubles. You raise hell about the guy who cuts you off in traffic, but let me catch you doing the same thing and I'm picking on you. You know all the traffic laws, but never got a single ticket you deserved. You shout "foul" if you observe me driving fast enroute to an emergency call, but literally raise hell if I take more than ten seconds responding to your call!!!
You call it "part of the job" if someone strikes me, but it's "police brutality" if I strike back. You wouldn't think of telling your dentist how to pull a badly decayed tooth, or your doctor how to take out your appendix, but you are always willing to give me a few pointers on law enforcement. You talk to me in a manner and use language that would assure a bloody nose from anyone else, but you expect me to stand and take it without batting an eye.

You cry, "Something has to be done about all the crime!" but you can't be bothered with getting involved.

You've got no use for me at all, but, of course, it's OK if I change a tire for your wife, or deliver your baby in the back seat of my patrol car on the way to the hospital, or save your son's life with mouth-to-mouth resuscitation, or work many hours over-time to find your lost daughter.

So Mr. Citizen, you stand there on your soapbox and rant and rave about the way I do my job, calling me every name in the book, but never stop a minute to think that your property, your family, or maybe your life might depend on one thing, ME, or one if my buddies.

"YES ME THE LOUSY COP"
Old 07-10-2009, 09:37 AM   #61
broncosman

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Send a message via Skype™ to broncosman
Quote:
Originally Posted by ud_lose View Post
And to this all I have is......

"Yes Me the Lousy Cop"

Well Mr. Citizen, I guess you have me figured out. I seem to fit neatly into the category you place me in. I'm stereotyped, characterized, standardized, classified, grouped, and always typical. I'm the "lousy cop." Unfortunately, the reverse isn't true. I can never figure you out.

From birth you teach your children that I am the bogeyman, and then you're shocked when they identify me with my traditional enemy, the criminal. You accuse me of coddling juveniles, until I catch your kid doing something. You may take an hour for lunch, and have several coffee breaks each day, but point me out as a loafer if you see me having just one cup.

You pride yourself on your polished manners, but think nothing of interrupting my meals at noon with your troubles. You raise hell about the guy who cuts you off in traffic, but let me catch you doing the same thing and I'm picking on you. You know all the traffic laws, but never got a single ticket you deserved. You shout "foul" if you observe me driving fast enroute to an emergency call, but literally raise hell if I take more than ten seconds responding to your call!!!
You call it "part of the job" if someone strikes me, but it's "police brutality" if I strike back. You wouldn't think of telling your dentist how to pull a badly decayed tooth, or your doctor how to take out your appendix, but you are always willing to give me a few pointers on law enforcement. You talk to me in a manner and use language that would assure a bloody nose from anyone else, but you expect me to stand and take it without batting an eye.

You cry, "Something has to be done about all the crime!" but you can't be bothered with getting involved.

You've got no use for me at all, but, of course, it's OK if I change a tire for your wife, or deliver your baby in the back seat of my patrol car on the way to the hospital, or save your son's life with mouth-to-mouth resuscitation, or work many hours over-time to find your lost daughter.

So Mr. Citizen, you stand there on your soapbox and rant and rave about the way I do my job, calling me every name in the book, but never stop a minute to think that your property, your family, or maybe your life might depend on one thing, ME, or one if my buddies.

"YES ME THE LOUSY COP"
beautiful

2SS/RS with painted Rally Stripes
http://www.h-towncamaroclub.com/index.php
broncosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:54 AM   #62
MontyCarlo

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS auto IBM
Ah, the argument about cops' boundaries, yet again.

Look, people, we're here on this forum because we're fans of powerful cars and squealing tires, which means interacting with traffic cops is a fact of life. If you don't like it, learn to fake liking it, and practice that here.
3. Yes, but the medication helps immensely.

2LT/RS IBM/gray #21,895 ordered April 21st, delivered July 3rd
MontyCarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:56 AM   #63
Teleplayer

Drives: 92 Bonnie SSEI - 2010 GT Soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosman View Post

For the most part, the deal with stopping people for small minor infractions like changing lanes w/o signaling, a tail light out, no blinker on turn is for probable cause to stop you. Give us the right to talk to you and see what you're up to (where coming & going etc.) and run your information in the database to see if you have warrants. Many wanted people are caught on traffic stops.
Interesting how I am labeled a cop hater just because I don't agree with a few things here. Let's all be reasonable here. I don't agree with everything that is done in police enforcement, and officers don't agree with everything the citizen does. That is human nature. It doesn't mean we hate each other.

Ok so you just look for any reason to stop someone, so you can see if they are doing anything else bad. Where I came from and where I am going is not really anyone's business and nobody is obligated to answer that question. I don't see how the fact that I came from K-mart is connected with why I ran a red light. If you want to find wanted people, then just go find them at home, they all have to be sleeping somewhere.

1992 SSEI Supercharged 177k miles. 2010 GT coming soon.
Teleplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:00 AM   #64
MontyCarlo

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS auto IBM
Quote:
Interesting how I am labeled a cop hater just because I don't agree with a few things here. Let's all be reasonable here. I don't agree with everything that is done in police enforcement, and officers don't agree with everything the citizen does. That is human nature. It doesn't mean we hate each other.

Ok so you just look for any reason to stop someone, so you can see if they are doing anything else bad. Where I came from and where I am going is not really anyone's business and nobody is obligated to answer that question. I don't see how the fact that I came from K-mart is connected with why I ran a red light. If you want to find wanted people, then just go find them at home, they all have to be sleeping somewhere.
You're not obligated to tell him where you're going, and he's not obligated to let you off with a warning. If you don't want to play nice and give him the benefit of the doubt, neither will he.
3. Yes, but the medication helps immensely.

2LT/RS IBM/gray #21,895 ordered April 21st, delivered July 3rd
MontyCarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:02 AM   #65
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Quote:

What's your address?
JUST KIDDING

-bobby
Old 07-10-2009, 10:04 AM   #66
1320junkie

Drives: The Imperial Army
Quote:

Hey Teleplayer..in my arena I can hold you for up to 48 hours without due cause..I bet that would get your blood boiling..and there is nothing you could do about it either..lol..Point is all officers are exercising some sort of restraint when dealing with civilians.
1320junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:08 AM   #67
bono83

Drives: 1969 Chevelle, 2010 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Soooo I got my first warning for no plate... If I'm ever pulled over again without the plate... what's next... ticket for sure??? Go directly to jail??? or does the warning even show in the system...

I really don't want to put it on there, (but may have to now) and I hear legislation is in the works to eliminate it for TX..
I can't say for sure since you're in a different state. I'm in Illinois and even in Illinois it varies from department to department. If I wrote a warning for the no plate in my town, you would get a ticket if you got a second warning within 5 days. If you made it past the 5 days, you'd be home free. No other department in IL or out of state would know you got the warning in my town.
bono83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:09 AM   #68
RPO_Z28

Drives: 2007 C6Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post

Tell me something I don't know... you're always so good at putting a negative spin on things, no matter what thread it is...
I'm out of here...

What is that comment all about? Did I miss something? Please PM me if you don't mind.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:15 AM   #69
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
All thrre pages, and I don't think I saw anyone say this:

Thank you, LEO, for the job you do. I appreciate the work you do. You're way underpaid. You often work in really crappy conditions and have to see the worst situations and sights. You have to deal with the worst of the worst in people.

I say go get 'em.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:17 AM   #70
Mac1

Drives: 2004 Malibu
Quote:
This is exactly what bothers me about cops. Since when is "attitude" or being "mouthy" a criminal offense? It's a big power trip. Don't piss off the cop because he has the power to retaliate.

I always wondered about warnings. Are those actual methods of law enforcement that are written down somewhere? It's an obvious method to show favoritism to certain people. Like if a friend or local politician is pulled over. Or maybe the wife of a cop. Think about it, someone breaks the law so you decide to pull them over. Why should there be any other element that decides if they get punished for breaking that law? They either did nor did not. Attitude or gender or who they are should not enter into the equation.

As far as I can see, every cop should get an automatic ticket every week because they always violate multiple laws every time I see one. They always drive way over the speed limit, and they also tailgate on the highway. Plus my favorite is when they jump out from behind a tree and point a radar gun at your car. If you jumped out from behind a tree and pointed something at them, that would be sufficient cause for them to shoot at you - so I don't see why they are allowed to do it.
I choose to believe that officers are not "out to get" the citizenry. If you disrespect the officer when you are pulled over, as well as having disrespected the law, it seems human nature would prevail i.e. a summons. The fact that almost every officer heard from on this forum would dismiss the violation with a warning (even compliment on the camaro) indicates my belief to be true. Further, the officer is protecting others from the offending driver. That should be kept in mind in cases of serious unlawful transgressions.
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote