Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-28-2014, 01:56 PM   #1
BreakingBad
MAGA

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
Accident repairs done but ended up causing paint issues - help!

I'm not sure if this goes in this sub-forum, but here goes.

I need some serious input from the Camaro crew on this one. This is a long explanation, but I need to know how to proceed as I might be facing thousands of dollars in repair costs unless I go to court.

Got my Camaro in 2012, and really haven't had many issues with it mechanically, aside from accidents - I'm up to 3 accidents at this point! The first was a lady driving into oncoming traffic, I swerved to avoid and grinded my rocker panel/wheels against a big curb. Second I was rear ended by someone else who was rear ended by a lady on her cell phone. Third was me going 45 MPH and a deer jumping out in front of me.

Crazy luck.

Anyway, the reason for my post:

I had scheduled an appointment to have a DRP (thru Allstate, my insurance) fix my car for the deer hit - the bumper cover was done for, the driver side headlight as well, and the hood too. I had googled the shops prior to make sure I was in good hands, no pun intended. The local DRP shops that Allstate referred me to were no-go's...2 star ratings on google and yelp, horrible scathing negative reviews you name it, but I really didn't know anywhere else to go and Allstate insisted their DRP's were better choices because if there was a problem, they could step in and resolve it.

Ironically enough, while I called Allstate to have my car towed to a DRP, the tow guy called me and said he was contacted by Allstate to tow my car, but he went on to say that he also owned a shop and could take care of me and would do a really good job, he knows Camaros are usually owned by those who are meticulous about their vehicle, etc. He ALSO made it a point to say that he's not 'allowed' to be asking me to bring my vehicle to him, as all he is 'contracted' to do was tow the car to the DRP and he could get into a lot of trouble. He went on for 10 minutes on how well he would take care of my car - I trusted him simply based on the way he was speaking, extremely knowledgeable, friendly, etc.

So, I had my car repaired there. Allstate, of course, wanted to try to use all aftermarket parts and he 'fought' for me to get all factory GM parts. The adjuster was a PITA, but eventually I was 'taken care of'. I picked my vehicle up after-hours one night as the owner (the guy who convinced me to come to his shop) stayed late as I couldn't make it there until 20 minutes after they closed. I drove the vehicle home, and ON the way home my headlight (the one that was replaced) was flickering. I called back, he was gone. I called the next morning, and he noted the problem said bring it in.

I told him my work schedule was hectic, I would get there ASAP.

I return on a weekend to have a body guy say he couldn't locate anything immediately wrong with it, that it 'could be an electrical issue' in regards to the flickering. Took them 2 hours to do that. I was surprised, as it should have taken 2 hours to remove the bumper cover and pull the headlight out and look at it. Told me I had to come back during the week so they could remove the bumper cover and pull the headlight. I return about 2 weeks later when I was able to schedule a day off, sat in the waiting room for 3 hours at which point the owner (same guy who initially called me to convince me to come to his shop) came out with the headlight in hand.

When he showed me the headlight, my jaw dropped. There was a hammer-sized hole in the middle of the fixture. Not the lens, but the actual plastic housing had a HAMMER SIZED HOLE in it. I said WHAT IN THE HELL is that?! Owner goes on to say that it could have been caused by me 'hitting a pothole, and something damaging it' or VANDALISM.

I told him that was impossible because the problems began as soon as I drove off his lot. He KNEW I was right, then he fumbled around and said "Oh well I guess I'll eat the cost and get you a new one" - he then ordered a new factory GM RS headlight, FINALLY got it replaced and I THOUGHT my issues with this shop were over. Fast forward a few months. This all started during winter, and as the summer months approached and I had some work done @ the dealership (oil change, inspection, etc) the shop manager at the dealership showed me the damage (I was in the hospital, didn't really have much time to overlook my car in such detail) and pointed out that my hood was not aligned properly, neither the bumper cover, and this was causing rubbing which was causing my paint to PEEL. I will attach photos later tonight to elaborate on the extent of the damage, but he clearly stated these were NOT rock chips and it was obvious whomever replaced the bumper cover and the hood either didn't install it correctly or used aftermarket parts. I need to check my paperwork from the body shop to see if anything on that says aftermarket, but the shop owner INSISTED he only used factory GM parts.

Anyway, here's where I am at and here is what I need advice on.

I called the shop, one of the body techs told me to just bring it in. I said I don't have time to bring it in, you guys look at it and tell me to schedule an appointment. I told him I would e-mail the owner (as I did in the past) and send him pictures, and we can coordinate from there.

So, I did just that. I e-mailed the owner on Monday, it is now Thursday - no response. No reply. No phone call. Nothing.

I attached pictures, explained myself, and nicely asked what we can do to resolve this. The bumper cover is clearly rubbing the fender on the driver side, causing the fender paint to peel. The hood doesn't even look even, as the gaps between the fenders on each side are not symmetrical. This looks like a pretty clear cut example of poor body work, which has resulted in the paint problems. The service manager @ the dealership confirmed this was not my fault/rock chip, etc. From what I gather, this is going to more than likely require a complete re-paint of the bumper cover, fender, possibly the hood, etc. The body tech I spoke with said "Uh well we can possibly just do a touch up job" and I laughed and said I would e-mail the owner.

I am going to call the shop today or tomorrow and attempt to get the owner on the phone. I will make a 2nd attempt to him to see what can be done, but at this point I am concerned that if they DO offer to fix the issues, how can I even trust it will be done right this time? First the headlight debacle now this, I have plenty of reason to feel that my car is being mistreated and sub-par work is being done so to take it back to the same shop is digging my own grave...but from what an insurance adjuster friend of mine tells me, the shop has their own 'warranties' so to speak, so the shop who did the repairs has to fix it else you are out the repair costs at a different shop.

The insurance company refuses to step in because it's not a DRP.

So, I am looking at thousands upon thousands of dollars in repair costs to have a different shop repair it, or deal with the same problematic shop. IRONICALLY enough, I googled the shop further and found that about 2 years ago someone brought their car to this SAME shop and was SCREWED big time, went on Yelp and Google Reviews and just tore into the shop, how bad the work was, etc. The owner (same guy I'm dealing with) apparently went on behind him to claim the customer was a liar, he was 'sorry he was not satisfied' all that mumbo jumbo. So, all indications are pointing to this shop cutting corners, doing poor work, etc.

At this point the best path I can see to take here would be to give the shop 1 chance to fix ALL of the problems 100%, no touch-ups, complete repaints. If the shop refuses to do so, I guess my only option is small claims court, correct? If this does come to that, does anyone here have experience in dealing with such an issue? Are there any agencies I should report the shop to minus the insurance company? I want to get my ducks in a row here because if the owner refuses to repair the work or offers sub-par repairs (such as 'touch ups') I need to know what quick, decisive action to take.

Thanks guys, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Damage:

&

“Freedom is not defined by safety. Freedom is defined by the ability of citizens to live without government interference. Government cannot create a world without risks, nor would we really wish to live in such a fictional place. Only a totalitarian society would even claim absolute safety as a worthy ideal, because it would require total state control over its citizens’ lives. Liberty has meaning only if we still believe in it when terrible things happen and a false government security blanket beckons.” - Ron Paul
BreakingBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:50 AM   #2
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
I would contact the State's Attorney's office and see what recourse, if any, you have.

See page 10. It's vague but notes a particular regulation that details your rights in PA.

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/uploa...s/bcp_book.pdf
TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:57 AM   #3
BreakingBad
MAGA

Ah, thanks for the info. I checked out the attorney general's site and basically I need to at least make a decent attempt at having the shop fix the work, my only other options at that point would be to file a complaint with the AG, and per their site if they feel the case can be mediated, they (through writing) try to resolve the issue between consumer and business. If it is unsuccessful, they state the consumer would want to consult an attorney and address the matter in small claims court.

So, what I take from that is I need to press this shop to fix the problems... Filing a complaint is pointless... Would anyone in their right mind file a complaint and expect a body shop to treat their car with care? I'll guess I'd be better off documenting the issue thoroughly and going right to small claims court. I'm not sure if a complaint to the AG will do anything for me if the issue goes to court.

Fml.
“Freedom is not defined by safety. Freedom is defined by the ability of citizens to live without government interference. Government cannot create a world without risks, nor would we really wish to live in such a fictional place. Only a totalitarian society would even claim absolute safety as a worthy ideal, because it would require total state control over its citizens’ lives. Liberty has meaning only if we still believe in it when terrible things happen and a false government security blanket beckons.” - Ron Paul
Old 08-29-2014, 01:07 PM   #4
Trob85
Svt lol

Drives: 2011 ss inferno orange blown
There's probably not much you can do always ALWAYS use a shop that's on the insurance list, this way you will never have issues and if you do it's on the insurance company not you. As far as the rating online when going through insurance don't worry about it they're going to be held liable if they screw up and though it might be a pain you'll get your can fixed right.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:03 PM   #5
jrpimp00

Drives: '10 Black/IOM Camaro SS/RS
It took you months to notice that huge gap?
Old 08-30-2014, 07:46 AM   #6
abaucom21

Drives: 2011 2LT White, 1966 TBird conv.
Besides State's Attorney's office, also file with your local BBB. Sometimes just filing the complaints can get the shop to be more agreeable.

To late now, but always get guarantee in writing for auto repairs. Any paint work should get a life guarantee / warranty.
abaucom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 05:44 PM   #7
BreakingBad
MAGA

Update-

To those of you who asked, I was in the hospital and have been dealing with MAJOR family problems as well, so my car went unwashed for weeks. Only when I washed it did I really scan over it and notice the issues.

The shop finally called me back and said to bring it in so they can look at it. Without even seeing it he said they can't make any determination from the pictures I sent them. He then, ironically, went on to say that it 'looks dented', which of course it is not in any way.

To back up my claim, 3 BUBBLES in the paint appeared over the last 1-2 weeks. So we have paint peeling, the hood being misaligned, and bubbles in the paint. There's no debating it at this point, it needs repainted and I want an explanation of why these problems have occurred. If they try to pawn the issues off onto me (which, how could I magically cause bubbles in the paint?) then it's right to the BBB and any other organizations I can contact, then to small claims court if they refuse to take care of it.

I'm also pushing them for a rental or something to drive while they fix it. I'll post back once I make it into the shop next week and see what they say.