Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-24-2008, 08:19 AM   #29
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert91RS View Post
Oh ya, plus the 30+ most people are claiming on headers and cat back for the C6 and your well into the 500hp numbers! Bad @ss!

I will be running the hot cam and performance package and going straight to the dyno after everything is broken in. I am really curious to see the numbers.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:45 AM   #30
Robin Lawrence

Drives: 2010 Camaro 69 Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by playhard67 View Post
Robin,

Thanks for the info on the Cam. I'm very unknowledgeable here...if I wanted this Cam, what is the part number and link for the 3 bolt 4X Cam gear? How much Horsepower would this mod add to the Camaro? Would I notice a lope? Would the car still idle fine?

Thanks again.
Cam Gear is part #12586481 as well as 3 bolts part # 12556127

Page 287 in the GM Performance Parts Catalog.

In my previous post I said that the GMPP Crate engine with this cam makes 480. I assume that it would make that in the Camaro also.
Because the current LS3 cam has lobes with 204/211 duration it sounds healthy. The GMPP Hot Cam has duration numbers of 219/228 so it will have more lope. Rememeber a cam is a comprimise. To get a little better at the top your going to give up a little on the bottom.
Define "idle fine" LOL, because your average tree hugger wants all cars to idle like the thier toyota.
I like the idle just fine

Robin

Robin Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:47 AM   #31
Robert91RS

Drives: Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Lawrence View Post
GM Performance Parts installs the Hot Cam in their LS376/480 Crate engine. It makes 480 Horsepower. No need for a different grind.
Most aftermarket cams have a lot more lift. You need to be careful with aggressive lobes and Piston to Valve issues.
There are cams that will make more power, but the Hot Cam has been around for a long time and works well.

Robin
Yep, but I will conceed that an LS3 specific cam could easily produce even more power. We discussed that a while back in another thread and just for grins I will again mention that the hot cam makes its 50+hp with less lift on the intake! Its duration this motor gains those 50hp with.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...hlight=hot+cam

Last edited by Robert91RS; 10-26-2008 at 04:23 PM.
Robert91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:53 AM   #32
Robin Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurenuff View Post
Hello Robin,

Thanks for the info! Now, when you say that the modification will not be covered under warranty, what exactly do you mean? Does the cam swap void the warranty or are you saying that the work performed to do the cam swap is not covered by the warranty (aka the labor costs to install the hot cam aren't free). Thanks in advance for the clarification!

Since the Hot Cam isn't certified in the Camaro it is not covered in the GM Warranty. For example if you have a cam installed, and you break a trans or driveline component you might not be covered because the changes you made effected the durability of the components. Now if your window motor quits they cannot void the warranty because you installed a cam.

Any internal engine modification will void your powertrain warranty.

Thanks

Robin

Old 10-24-2008, 09:05 AM   #33
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
What is the best estimate of the cost of the cam and install?
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:07 AM   #34
Robin Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert91RS View Post
Yep, but I will conceed that an LS3 specific cam could easily produce even more power. We discussed that a while back in another thread and just for grins I will point again mention that the hot cam makes its 50+hp with less lift on the intake! Its duration this motor gains those 50hp with.

I agree with Robert here, there are a lot of companies out there that have or are developing specific profiles for the large port of the L92/LS3 cylinder head. From a long term durability point less lift will be easier on valvetrain components. So why have a .600 lift cam if you can get one within 15 horsepower that will not stress the components.

If your looking for the ultimate then yes there are other options.

The cam in my LSX Nova has .970 lift. I have to check springs after every 3 passes.

Robin

Old 10-24-2008, 10:32 AM   #35
PatrickfromMD

Drives: Buick Enclave/Corvette/2010 Camaro
Cam for the L99 AFM engine

Can anyone offer any experience with a cam swap on a AFM engine?

I commute in the Wash DC area and this will be my daily driver so I’ve selected the L99 out of practicality.
I have read the L99 is the LS3 except for 1) the AFM system, and 2) also it incorporates variable cam timing. I read in the variable cam timing thet GM needed to relieved the pistons further for clearance and they substituted a milder cam. This leads me to believe that any change in cam may be both lift limited as well as duration limited to accommodate the cam advancing and retarding with the variable cam timing. Does this make sense? This is unfortunate as one would think that variable cam timing might open up the opportunity for more aggressive profiles without sacrificing as much at the bottom end. I’d really like something just north of the LS3 cam, but south of the Hot Cam everyone is talking about.
So, I’m asking if anyone knows what might be achievable in the L99 cam arena (short of changing the pistons for even more clearance).

Also, the L99 will have a 6000 rpm redline, does anyone know specifically what the weak link is (I mean I assume its in the AFM, but what specifically, and can it be beefed up to bring up the redline slightly to accommodate some mild modifications)

***56K miles and still going strong***
2SS/RS IOM ext w/cyber grey stripes, tinted windows, IO int Auto
ProTorque prototype Converter, Chuck Mosello of Westchester Corvettes Custom Tune
T&T installed SLP Longtubes, Powerflow X Pipe, and Powerflow axle back
JL 10W3 in custom side sub box, new door tweeters, Alpine 5ch 600 watt
T&T configured ACS front Fascia w/ heritage grill, splitter, dual color halos, , led markers, taillight bezels , all accented in CGM
Gary Custom Z vented fenders. Vararam ver 2
PatrickfromMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:44 PM   #36
Grape Ape

Drives: 96 Bronco w/ a 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickfromMD View Post
Can anyone offer any experience with a cam swap on a AFM engine?

I commute in the Wash DC area and this will be my daily driver so I’ve selected the L99 out of practicality.
I have read the L99 is the LS3 except for 1) the AFM system, and 2) also it incorporates variable cam timing. I read in the variable cam timing thet GM needed to relieved the pistons further for clearance and they substituted a milder cam. This leads me to believe that any change in cam may be both lift limited as well as duration limited to accommodate the cam advancing and retarding with the variable cam timing. Does this make sense? This is unfortunate as one would think that variable cam timing might open up the opportunity for more aggressive profiles without sacrificing as much at the bottom end. I’d really like something just north of the LS3 cam, but south of the Hot Cam everyone is talking about.
So, I’m asking if anyone knows what might be achievable in the L99 cam arena (short of changing the pistons for even more clearance).

Also, the L99 will have a 6000 rpm redline, does anyone know specifically what the weak link is (I mean I assume its in the AFM, but what specifically, and can it be beefed up to bring up the redline slightly to accommodate some mild modifications)
I believe that the lift is limited to the amount of the de-act lifters can absorb, so a taller cam would cause the valve to open slightly in de-act mode and throw codes.

I suspect that the lower redline is due to the fact that the higher mass of the L99’s de-act lifters may cause valve float at a lower RPM than the LS3’s standard lifters.

I am also planning to buy a L99 and hope the aftermarket will offer a scale model of a hot cam with higher ratio rockers that should give us more power while retaining AFM. Unfortunately it won’t help with the read line.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 03:50 PM   #37
playhard67
come to poppa

Drives: 67RS,09 Harley FLHX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
I will be running the hot cam and performance package and going straight to the dyno after everything is broken in. I am really curious to see the numbers.
Is it advisable to wait until after break-in to do this mod...or get it done before you pick up the car?

Cancelled the 2010 SS/RS (for now) and bought this instead (2009 Harley FLHX)
playhard67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:49 PM   #38
Robert91RS

Drives: Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by playhard67 View Post
Is it advisable to wait until after break-in to do this mod...or get it done before you pick up the car?
With a hydraulic roller cam it doesn't really matter.
Robert91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:13 PM   #39
PatrickfromMD

Drives: Buick Enclave/Corvette/2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grape Ape View Post
I believe that the lift is limited to the amount of the de-act lifters can absorb, so a taller cam would cause the valve to open slightly in de-act mode and throw codes.

I suspect that the lower redline is due to the fact that the higher mass of the L99’s de-act lifters may cause valve float at a lower RPM than the LS3’s standard lifters.

I am also planning to buy a L99 and hope the aftermarket will offer a scale model of a hot cam with higher ratio rockers that should give us more power while retaining AFM. Unfortunately it won’t help with the read line.
Thanks for the feedback, I'll be watching to see what aftermarket comes out with for the L99. I'm sure there is another 40 HP available in there before redline

***56K miles and still going strong***
2SS/RS IOM ext w/cyber grey stripes, tinted windows, IO int Auto
ProTorque prototype Converter, Chuck Mosello of Westchester Corvettes Custom Tune
T&T installed SLP Longtubes, Powerflow X Pipe, and Powerflow axle back
JL 10W3 in custom side sub box, new door tweeters, Alpine 5ch 600 watt
T&T configured ACS front Fascia w/ heritage grill, splitter, dual color halos, , led markers, taillight bezels , all accented in CGM
Gary Custom Z vented fenders. Vararam ver 2
PatrickfromMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 06:18 PM   #40
logan1080

Drives: 2003 Crew Cab Duramax
So do you guys think for a daily driver dependable car, the hot cam would be the choice?
logan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:40 PM   #41
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Lawrence View Post
I agree with Robert here, there are a lot of companies out there that have or are developing specific profiles for the large port of the L92/LS3 cylinder head. From a long term durability point less lift will be easier on valvetrain components. So why have a .600 lift cam if you can get one within 15 horsepower that will not stress the components.

If your looking for the ultimate then yes there are other options.

The cam in my LSX Nova has .970 lift. I have to check springs after every 3 passes.

Robin
what year is your nova?
Old 10-25-2008, 12:25 AM   #42
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Robin,

Thank you VERY much for taking the time to answer all these questions!!! It is VERY nice to have someone "in the know" who can help and point all of us in the right direction. I have a question as well...regarding this statement,

Quote:
Since the Hot Cam isn't certified in the Camaro it is not covered in the GM Warranty.
...will the hot cam ever see the "certification" needed to be covered by warranty? I have gone through a couple transmissions and know the expense required to get them back together. I do NOT want to run into that again, but really want that hot cam to get up to that 500hp. I guess this could be another, "ya gotta pay to play" type deals.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote