Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-26-2011, 06:48 PM   #1
shiftz33

Drives: 17 SS Sedan, 04 SSR
Camaro OEM Wheels and Gorilla Wheel Locks

My 2010 1SS SIM Camaro had no wheel locks when I purchased it. I looked into the GM offering and the wheel lock offered by GM was VERY long compared to the standard OEM lug nuts so I purchased the 20 lug nut wheel lock kit from GM. I've had that on my Camaro for the past almost 2 years.

I've been wanting to go with a silver/black color scheme for my Camaro and I've been close to accomplishing that until I tried to figure out which Gorilla wheel locks I should get. I know that many will state the ones the vendors have been selling work on the OEM and non OEM wheels. That's not the opinion of Gorilla Automotive.

I contacted Reuben @ Gorilla Automotive last week. I tried to confirm what was the true/correct part number one should purchase if they're trying to get Gorilla wheel locks for their Camaro with OEM wheels. Reuben was VERY direct with his response stating that there are two wheel locks for the Camaro, one for OEM wheels and one for aftermarket wheels.

Gorilla part numbers for OEM Camaro wheels:
Acorn Bulge Wheel Locks - 1.45" long

96641 (C) or (BC) - Qty 4
96643 (C) or (BC) - "System" Qty 20
Only for aftermarket wheels:
Acorn Wheel Locks - 1.40" long

71641 (N) or (NBC) - Qty 4
71643 (N) or (NBC) - "System" Qty 20
The pictures show the 96643BC "System" wheel locks and one picture shows the original OEM lug nut compared to one of the 96643BC lug nuts.

The "problem" being that the 60 degree cone section of the 7164x lug nuts is not quite long enough to fully fill in the cone section in the wheel when used with an OEM wheel. As you can see from the pictures the 9664x lug nuts have a very large cone section so there's no doubt they'll fully fill the cone section in the OEM wheel.

Gorilla made the 9664x lug nuts for Camaro and Challenger OEM wheels.

I hope that helps someone else looking for the same info I was looking for last week.
Attached Images

Old 06-15-2011, 06:57 PM   #2
BowlingSS
Camaro Owner Since 1987

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS L99 RJT
I like the black ones. I need a set. How much for the set of 20?

Bill
VMax Ported RJT Throttle Body
XSPower Headers and XSPower 3" Exhaust System
Elite Engineering Tunnel Brace,
Gorilla Wheel Lock System; Bear Rotors, Hawk HPS
Tinted Windows 35%;EFILive Tune
BowlingSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:16 PM   #3
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Apex has the set for $55 in black or chrome.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:29 PM   #4
shiftz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
Apex has the set for $55 in black or chrome.
Yes Apex is selling Gorilla wheel locks but the ones that Gorilla states are only for non OEM (aftermarket) wheels.

I sent some PMs to Chase about stocking the Gorilla wheel locks for OEM wheels and he stated they would get them, but Apex has never updated their website nor their listing thread on this site to include anything but the ones for non OEM wheels.

I paid around $71 for the 96643BC wheel locks from another vendor.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:31 PM   #5
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftz33 View Post
Yes Apex is selling Gorilla wheel locks but the ones that Gorilla states are only for non OEM (aftermarket) wheels.

I sent some PMs to Chase about stocking the Gorilla wheel locks for OEM wheels and he stated they would get them, but Apex has never updated their website nor their listing thread on this site to include anything but the ones for non OEM wheels.

Thanks for the clarification.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:34 AM   #6
Apex Paul

Drives: Wagon Queen Family Truckster
Quote:

When we ordered our last pallet of wheel locks Rueben (@ Gorilla) informed us that the Camaro/Dodge locks were just becoming available. We will be getting some soon. There are OEM style replacement lug nuts (not locks) as well that are now available from Gorilla.

I would also point out that while these are specifically made to mimic stock lug nuts, the 71643 locks will absolutely work on a stock Camaro wheel. In fact, they only fit aftermarket wheels that have the same seat as stock Camaro wheels. The 99643 are shorter than the 71643, but the working end are the same.
Apex Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:56 AM   #7
Wantconvertible

Drives: 2011 SS/RS VERT
Blended nice
Wantconvertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:49 AM   #8
BowlingSS
Camaro Owner Since 1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Paul View Post
When we ordered our last pallet of wheel locks Rueben (@ Gorilla) informed us that the Camaro/Dodge locks were just becoming available. We will be getting some soon. There are OEM style replacement lug nuts (not locks) as well that are now available from Gorilla.

I would also point out that while these are specifically made to mimic stock lug nuts, the 71643 locks will absolutely work on a stock Camaro wheel. In fact, they only fit aftermarket wheels that have the same seat as stock Camaro wheels. The 99643 are shorter than the 71643, but the working end are the same.
So the 71643 locks will work with the stock 20" SS wheels?
http://www.apex-speed.com/gorilla-wh...1.5-black.html

I just want to make sure I am getting the correct one.
Thanks.
Bill

Last edited by BowlingSS; 06-16-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:09 PM   #9
shiftz33

I just got off of the phone with Reuben @ Gorilla. I asked the question again to reconfirm my understanding of which part number is meant for what wheels, and my original post is correct.

Reuben stated the 9664x version of the wheel locks have been available for a while now.

Reuben stated that the 7164x version (1.40" long) of the wheel locks will "work" with stock wheels, BUT they sit lower into the cone of the wheel and they are also more recessed into the wheel than the 9664x (1.45" long) versions. Reuben stated that the 7164x should not damage stock wheels.

Reuben stated that if it was "his car" with stock wheels, he would use the 9664x wheel locks instead of the 7164x wheel locks.

You should call Reuben (in Sales) at Gorilla Automotive yourself if you want confirmation on this - 323.585.2852.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:53 PM   #10
usmcjlp

Drives: 2SS/RS LS3 RJT
I bought my gorilla locks for less than $40 off of amazon. Do a google search. Multiple companies out there sell these.
usmcjlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:35 PM   #11
Rockin the BlueSS
The New Guy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM M6
i got the wheel locks from Apex they are not the models that try to look like oem... notice that the stock lugs are very wide and will not fit into a number of aftermarket rims... i got the set that is smaller in the event i buy aftermarket rims...

OP i like your style
Rockin the BlueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:50 PM   #12
BowlingSS
Camaro Owner Since 1987

Quote:
I just got off of the phone with Reuben @ Gorilla. I asked the question again to reconfirm my understanding of which part number is meant for what wheels, and my original post is correct.

Reuben stated the 9664x version of the wheel locks have been available for a while now.

Reuben stated that the 7164x version (1.40" long) of the wheel locks will "work" with stock wheels, BUT they sit lower into the cone of the wheel and they are also more recessed into the wheel than the 9664x (1.45" long) versions. Reuben stated that the 7164x should not damage stock wheels.

Reuben stated that if it was "his car" with stock wheels, he would use the 9664x wheel locks instead of the 7164x wheel locks.

You should call Reuben (in Sales) at Gorilla Automotive yourself if you want confirmation on this - 323.585.2852.
Thanks for the info. Both will work but the 9664x are the way to go.

Bill
Old 06-16-2011, 05:11 PM   #13
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowlingSS View Post
So the 71643 locks will work with the stock 20" SS wheels?
http://www.apex-speed.com/gorilla-wh...1.5-black.html

I just want to make sure I am getting the correct one.
Thanks.
Bill
Yes, we have been using these wheel locks on OEM and aftermarket wheels for almost 2 years.

Quote:

Quote:
No one is disputing any of what you are saying. You are correct. There is now an OEM specific wheel option available. That being said, for a year and a half before Gorilla came out with it we have been using the 7164x wheel locks on both OEM and aftermarket wheels and not had any issues. Now that there is an option specific to OEM wheels there is no reason not to go that route unless you prefer the look of the other set.

We have not updated our website because of the way we operate. We are a Gorilla distributor. We do not place small daily, weekly, or even monthly orders. When we order from Gorilla and many other vendors we order thousands of dollars worth of product at a time and in great enough quantities to last us 3-4 months. By doing so we get much better pricing. As Paul mentioned earlier in this thread, when we placed our last order Reuben mentioned the OEM specific locks but we could not get them on our order in sufficient quantities in the time frame we needed them. We are now getting close to placing our next order and when we do we will be adding the new OEM specific locks and when we have them in stock we will update our website.

Last edited by Apex Motorsports; 07-02-2011 at 05:32 PM.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:50 PM   #14
shiftz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
We are now getting close to placing our next order and when we do we will be adding the new OEM specific locks and when we have them in stock we will update our website.
Great!