Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 07-01-2013, 08:11 PM   #43
snymat68

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray 1LS M6
Hey, someone else into electronics and Arduino! I'm currently working on a system for my Camaro as well. I'm integrating my own touch screen though. I'm not big on having to connect my phone to do stuff. There is an inherent simplicity in a stand-alone system. My system is still in the design/prototyping phases though. But back to your build. It's pretty sweet man. She is a NAUGHTY girl. lol. I'm curious about tapping in to the OBDII. Is that a serial communication? Also, I read somewhere that there can be interference issues with multiple devices using the port at the same time. Have you run into any issues with this?
Elite Catch Can | CAI Intake with Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | MRT v2 Axle-Back Exhaust | MagnaFlow Resonated X-Pipe | Resonator Delete | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | GM Strut Tower Brace | JDP Tow Hook | Vitesse Throttle Controller
Aesthetic Mods
Chrome Peek-A-Boo Door Handles | Interior Accessories Kit | OEM RS HIDs w/ 6000k Bulbs & 5000k LED Fogs | Tail Light, Marker Light, & Turn Signal Tint | Tru-Sequence Sequential Turn Signals & Brake Lights | Silver Fade Gill Stripes | Carbon Fiber Bowties | Various Chrome/Painted/Carbon Fiber Items
snymat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:08 PM   #44
SeriouslySinning

Drives: 2013 Chevy Camaro 2LT 3.6 V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMC77 View Post
Not trying to sound smart or anything but have you checked out the OnStar App? It already can lock/unlock and remote start, I'm assuming one would need an active subscription to OnStar tho. If you haven't already checked it out.

Sent from my iPhone
Yeah I have it lol but I want it to talk to me ha ha

Seriously Sinning - "Veronica"
Commandment 11 - Thou shall not travel slowly.
SeriouslySinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:28 AM   #45
Thewall279

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Wow guys sorry I disappeared for a minute there... I have been working on a few changes to upload the code to github... I used Eclipse to write the applications for android but I now use and LOVE intelliJ so I dont want this to be IDE specific...

I'll be adding the code to these three Repos...
https://github.com/aV1rus/arduino_connect_main.git
https://github.com/aV1rus/arduino_co...ndroid_usb.git
https://github.com/aV1rus/arduino_co...ndroid_blu.git

There is NO code pushed to the repo yet.. Give me a few days. I'll update when the code is uploaded and ready for you guys...

Whoever wants access to the repo's (To be able to edit them and commit modifications) send me your public keys at av1rusapps@gmail.com.
(Hopefully you guys have experience with Version Control and Git and all that)... Source tree is a great GUI for GIT

Quote:
Not trying to sound smart or anything but have you checked out the OnStar App? It already can lock/unlock and remote start, I'm assuming one would need an active subscription to OnStar tho. If you haven't already checked it out.
Sent from my iPhone
Yeh I was thinking about adding an unlock feature to the app and remote start and all that jazz but haven't really gotten to serious because of security. The only nice thing is that i wouldn't have to pay onstar a month fee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by snymat68 View Post
Hey, someone else into electronics and Arduino! I'm currently working on a system for my Camaro as well. I'm integrating my own touch screen though. I'm not big on having to connect my phone to do stuff. There is an inherent simplicity in a stand-alone system. My system is still in the design/prototyping phases though. But back to your build. It's pretty sweet man. She is a NAUGHTY girl. lol. I'm curious about tapping in to the OBDII. Is that a serial communication? Also, I read somewhere that there can be interference issues with multiple devices using the port at the same time. Have you run into any issues with this?
You might want to check out my code then... I actually agree that I dont wan to have to interface with my android (Which is why i now have the android inside the car via usb as well) but when i first started i added a second arduino to Serial2 connection on the arduino.. This allowed me to have a arduino dedicated to the display(Which could be touchscreen)...

I am connecting OBD to a Serial UART adapter(https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9555). I have absolutely NO issues interfacing with it and I have my bluetooth OBDII plugged in all the time for other android apps... Actually, the OBDII connection is probably the most reliable...

Quote:
I have some questions...

1. What wires are you tapping into the OBD connector?

2. Why use transistors when you can use a set of relays that work off of 5v and can handle 12v?

Sent from my iPhone
1) Here: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10087 You will find a pin description table explainign how the cable is wired... Instead of buying that cable I just bought a DB9 connection and wired it to the back of the OBDII plug...
2) relays are true or false... Relays would not allow the fading of the LED's... Basically they will only be on or off mine can be on and i can set the brightness as well...

Shak1ra - 2011 Camaro LS
Jessica(The Black Pearl) - 2001 Camaro
Thewall279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #46
Thewall279

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriouslySinning View Post
We need a step by step DIY for this! I want it badly! lmao
Agreed... I'll make the OP more descriptive when I get time. I also want to move this thread to the DIY section

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCamaroKyle View Post
Thewall279 are you going to do something that is just plug and play and if so let me know I want one.
Everyone is telling me to do this but i don't see how it's possible... There are ALOT of different components. Also, I have had some issues with the circuit board I soldered... So far I've had to take it apart twice to fix the solder... I wouldn't want to send you a plug and play and you end up with the same issue...

If anyone knows where I could get something professionally soldered than the plug and play might be doable. The casing for the circuit board will also need to be water proof...

Plus I work and go to school full time so I don't have much time.

Shak1ra - 2011 Camaro LS
Old 07-03-2013, 10:52 AM   #47
Ice992
Semper Fi

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS A6
hmmmm I have a brand new Arduino sitting in the box... INteresting...

Ready to live life on your terms?

-H-Town Camaro Club-
Ice992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:24 PM   #48
SeriouslySinning

Where is a good place to learn about arduino and writing the code?

Old 07-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #49
sevmook

Drives: 2013 2LT RS
Very impressive, I just have two questions.

Can this be done with OEM halos???
and which Arduino is the best one to use for this project?
sevmook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:05 PM   #50
BudMC77

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewall279 View Post
Agreed... I'll make the OP more descriptive when I get time. I also want to move this thread to the DIY section

Everyone is telling me to do this but i don't see how it's possible... There are ALOT of different components. Also, I have had some issues with the circuit board I soldered... So far I've had to take it apart twice to fix the solder... I wouldn't want to send you a plug and play and you end up with the same issue...

If anyone knows where I could get something professionally soldered than the plug and play might be doable. The casing for the circuit board will also need to be water proof...

Plus I work and go to school full time so I don't have much time.
I believe a DIY would be possible in the future but that's a long way off as you would need more of a "finished" product to make any finalizations. But for now there's way too many different directions that you can go as far as wiring it since there are still so many different possibilities.

Sent from my iPhone
BudMC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #51
BudMC77

Quote:
Where is a good place to learn about arduino and writing the code?
Check these out...

http://playground.arduino.cc/
http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/HomePage

Just nevigate around that website and it gives you sets of example code, explains the language, and much more.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:47 AM   #52
SeriouslySinning

I actually started watching some youtube videos on it. Seems awesome. You could use this for a motorized license plate too lol. I cant stop thinking about different ideas.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:48 AM   #53
Thewall279

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevmook View Post
Very impressive, I just have two questions.

Can this be done with OEM halos???
and which Arduino is the best one to use for this project?
I wouldn't recommend doing it on stock halo's. What would really change?

The best Arduino for this is the Arduino Mega ADK ... The Arduino Mega will also work well but that wont have usb support.

Shak1ra - 2011 Camaro LS
Old 07-05-2013, 11:01 AM   #54
BudMC77

Quote:
I actually started watching some youtube videos on it. Seems awesome. You could use this for a motorized license plate too lol. I cant stop thinking about different ideas.
Motorized license plate..interesting. Find any other ideas? Feel free to spit fire ideas.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 07-05-2013, 03:58 PM   #55
sevmook

Drives: 2013 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewall279 View Post
I wouldn't recommend doing it on stock halo's. What would really change?

The best Arduino for this is the Arduino Mega ADK ... The Arduino Mega will also work well but that wont have usb support.
Well, I was thinking of anything crazy,,,lol maybe just a fade in when unlocked and fade out when locked mode for the Halos, or maybe add the front motorized plate to it too?? so when you lock the doors, the license plate pops up, and when unlocked, it hides!
sevmook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #56
Thewall279

Code is uploaded to github so you guys can check it out... I think you can request access through the webpage...

I still havent had a chance to make it IDE generic... If you use IntelliJ (Like I do now) We need to convert to IntelliJ project from Eclipse.... Or just use Eclipse...

https://github.com/aV1rus/arduino_connect_main.git
https://github.com/aV1rus/arduino_co...ndroid_usb.git
https://github.com/aV1rus/arduino_co...ndroid_blu.git

Shak1ra - 2011 Camaro LS

Tags
arduino, halos, talking car