Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 08-10-2009, 11:18 PM   #15
gtbaldini

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey 2SS/RS LS3
So, leaving mobile 1 in as the break-in oil sounds like it'll work just fine. I have been going round and round with this issue, but since it's still a type three it should seat the piston rings without issues. Thanks for the info. I understand the zinc part of it but I can't see changing out the oil for something else until at least 500 miles.
gtbaldini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:50 PM   #16
chevyss
SS/RS

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM w/blk stripes A6
RP for me. You can keep Mobil 1. RP in all three vehicles. Dealer says that I can use what ever I want and it won't do anything with the warrenty. With RP you can run it and just change the filter every three months and do a sample at the lab. I understand the zinc. Thanks for the disertation.
chevyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:44 AM   #17
hollywoodjose

Drives: 2010 Black 1LT
ok well here's my dilemma, i purchased lifetime oil change at the dealership and they use mobile 1 synthetic, bottom line is that will be better for the car than regular mobile 1 won't it? but i do understand that RP is like top of the line and maybe in a couple years i'll trade it in for a Z-28 or a new SS cause i'll be makin more money and have quite a bit paid on my current car and when i do get a different car i won't buy the lifetime oil change again
hollywoodjose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:17 AM   #18
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodjose View Post
ok well here's my dilemma, i purchased lifetime oil change at the dealership and they use mobile 1 synthetic, bottom line is that will be better for the car than regular mobile 1 won't it? but i do understand that RP is like top of the line and maybe in a couple years i'll trade it in for a Z-28 or a new SS cause i'll be makin more money and have quite a bit paid on my current car and when i do get a different car i won't buy the lifetime oil change again
just to clear it up for you mobile 1 is exxon-mobile full synthetic line the other lines are mobile clean *whatever* is there regular oil or blends

you don't have to say synthetic after you say mobile 1 because it is their only line of full synthetic "well kinda lol, i just learned a lot about them thanks f14tomcat "

understand?
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:12 AM   #19
vdevine

Drives: 2010 Black SS
I cut and pasted that entire entry and emailed to myself for further reference.
3800 Born: 25 May VIN#12136
6000 Mine 26 June 2009
SLP Loudmouth II, NOWEEDS, BMR 1.4/1.0 Lowering Springs, Cold Air Inductions Intake, Tune, Eagle Eyes w HID, SLP "SS" Grille Insert, Pistol Grip Shifter, Hawk PC Pads, RGB Scanner, Tint, Headlight Armor, Clear Bra, 22's.
vdevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:16 AM   #20
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdevine View Post
I cut and pasted that entire entry and emailed to myself for further reference.
lmao good idea
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:58 AM   #21
Ranger 75

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FI4T0MCAT View Post
Royal purple, and yes, but thats just my opinion. With all new engines I add zinc initially (adds cushioning properties to the oil) then make my first oil change at 1500. leave the filter though, Then my second at 3000, and change the filter. Then continue on the every 3000 schedule. I always add a zinc addative, oils now cant have enough zinc in them (thanks uncle sam) to provide proper cushioning. So i basically make my own blend.
I have spent a million dollars on Mobil1 over the years, for my fleet of cars, and switching to RP at the next oil change for all.
Ranger 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:57 PM   #22
CTS

Drives: 2021 Sierra Denali 6.2L/10sp CC 4WD
Quote:
In the 90s, Mobil filed suit against Castrol for falsely advertising Syntec oil as synthetic, when in fact it contained a Group III, highly hydroprocessed mineral (Dino) oil, instead of a chemically synthesized (group IV or V) basestock. Due to the amount that the mineral oil had been chemically changed, the judge decided in Castrol's favor. As a result, any oil containing this highly hydroprocessed mineral (Dino) oil (currently called Group III
basestock by the American Petroleum Institute) can be marketed as a synthetic oil. Since the original synthetic basestock (polyalphaolefin or PAO) is much more expensive than the Group III basestock, most of the oil blenders switched to the Group III basestock, which significantly increased their profit margins.
This info about a law suit it not factual.

What Mobil 1 did was complain to the National Advertising Division (NAD) of the Council of Better Business Bureaus about false advertising, it was not in a court of law. Every thing else is pretty much factual, the ruling basically said that synthetic oil can be made from natural petroleum and did not need to be from chemical reaction of small molecules as Mobil 1 contended.

PS - I have the complete story from Lubricants World but copy write protection prohibits me form putting it here. If someone wants it I can email it to you if you PM me.

fyi - Here is a link to download a AMSOIL Catalog

Last edited by CTS; 08-11-2009 at 02:12 PM.
CTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:11 PM   #23
FI4T0MCAT

Drives: 1969 SS Camaro
It did go to a court of law, and was settled in April of 1999, it was a huge thing man, look it up.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:55 AM   #24
CTS

Drives: 2021 Sierra Denali 6.2L/10sp CC 4WD
You are wrong about it being in a court of law. I did look it up and I was around back in 1999 and remember all about it.

I know that story is floating around the internet but its inaccurate to say a court of law.

Quote:
Moment for SYNTHETICS
By Katherine Bui

While the field is not wide open, a new ruling confirms that the definition of "synthetic" is still largely in the hands of marketers.

It was only recently, in a decision by the National Advertising Division (NAD) of the Council of Better Business Bureaus, that the first basic action and ruling in the United States set a strong precedence for a broader description in the marketing of synthetics. In this first installment of a two-part story, Lubricants World takes a look at the NAD's ruling and explores the revived debate surrounding the definition of "synthetic."

The Ruling
In a ruling released April 1999, the NAD addressed complaints filed by Mobil Oil Corp. regarding the truthfulness of Castrol North America Inc.'s claim that its SyntecŪ provides "superior engine protection" to all other motor oils, both synthetic and conventional, and that Syntec's esters provide "unique molecular bonding." Mobil charged that the advertisements inaccurately represented that the current formulation of Syntec is synthetic. The challenge was filed based on statements Castrol made in a series of television commercials, Web site publications, package labels, and brochures.
The NAD divided its decision to address three issues raised in the complaint. Is the reformulated Syntec synthetic motor oil? Has Castrol substantiated its superiority claims? Has Syntec been degraded?

Synthetic?
The NAD determined that the evidence presented by the advertiser constitutes a reasonable basis for the claim that Castrol Syntec, as currently formulated, is a synthetic motor oil. NAD noted that Mobil markets hydroisomerized basestocks as synthetic in Europe and elsewhere. NAD noted that the action taken by the SAE to delete any reference to "synthetic" in its description of basestocks in section J354 and API's consequent removal of any mention of "synthetic" in API1509 were decisions by the industry not to restrict use of the term "synthetic" to the definition now proffered by Mobil. Further, the SAE Automotive Lubricants Reference Book, an extensively peer-reviewed publication, states base oils made through the processes used to create Shell's hydroisomerized basestock, severe cracking, and reforming processes may be marketed as "synthetic."

Superior?
Despite its prior ruling, the NAD advised that Syntec could not advertise a superior protection claim.
Degraded?
The NAD determined that though Mobil presented clear evidence that Castrol has made a major change to Syntec's formulation, it was not sufficient to demonstrate that Syntec has been "degraded."
Industry Reaction
In a statement to Lubricants World, Castrol's legal counsel said, "The NAD's decision was clearly correct. In accepting Castrol's position on the appropriate definition of synthetic basestock and concluding that Castrol Syntec is a fully synthetic oil, the NAD accepted the overwhelming evidence Castrol presented, which included the opinions of leading scientists . . .and statements from Shell, Exxon, and other industry sources. The NAD also relied on the SAE's rejection of a restrictive definition of the type advanced by Mobil. In fact, although it had the right to do so, Mobil did not attempt to appeal the NADS's decision."
Mark Sztenderowicz, a senior research engineer from Chevron Products Co.'s Base Oil Technology Team, stated his company agreed with the NAD's decision. "We feel strongly," he said, "that 'synthetic' is a fairly broad term and a number of basestocks besides PAOs fit the description. To the extent that the NAD came to a similar conclusion and was unwilling to limit 'synthetic' to a narrow definition, we agree. We further agree with what we consider to be a commonsense interpretation that consumers perceive the word 'synthetic' to mean something man-made, but not made necessarily from a particular compound or component

[rest of article omitted for lack of relevance, opinions etc]

Lubricants World -- Serving the Global Marketplace
is a publication of:
Hart Publications, Inc.
4545 Post Oak Place, Suite 210
Houston, TX 77027 U.S.A.
(800) 874-2544
(713) 993-9320
Fax: (713) 840-8585
www.lubricantsworld.com
Diane Green, Publisher
CTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:33 AM   #25
FI4T0MCAT

Drives: 1969 SS Camaro
ok well thanks for the clear up on the "court of law" issue you are correct most everyone called it a lawsuit. Anyway the post is more focused about the oils not the lawsuit. Thats a MINOR detail, and quite irrelevant
Old 08-12-2009, 08:37 AM   #26
Ranger 75

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTS View Post
You are wrong about it being in a court of law. I did look it up and I was around back in 1999 and remember all about it.

I know that story is floating around the internet but its inaccurate to say a court of law.
Tom Cat, So to get back to the point! I have 2500 miles 0n my LS3 can I now switch to Royal Purple?
Ranger 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:15 PM   #27
optical
The Pilot

Drives: 1993 Chevy C1500 Ext Cab, 5.7L
I love Amsoil and will run it in every vehicle I own.

Thanks so much for the history of oil and what is synthetic and what is not and classifications for different types of oils. That really helped me out. I have heard nothing but good things about Royal Purple though!

Thanks so much! I appreciate it!
Old 08-12-2009, 12:33 PM   #28
Sidewinder

Drives: 2SS/RJT/A6/Received 09/09/09
http://www.gm.com/corporate/responsi...ngine_oils.pdf

This URL will list the oils that meet GM Spec 4718M for the 6.2L V8

This list also has a listing of oils that meet the V6 Spec GM6094M

Last edited by Sidewinder; 08-12-2009 at 12:58 PM.
Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote