Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 09:19 AM   #43
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
For what it is (price point) the cobalt SS is the complete package.
The Camaro is almost. The Z/28 will be the Camaro's complete package. The handling was set up not to race, but to be dummy proof for the average joe that wants and thinks he can handle 426 HP.
The ring is for high HP cars that handle well, hence the Exige can't compete as well even though it handles far superior to the Camaro. The weight even at 3,800+ is not as much a problem if the suspension is tuned well. Also a benefit, is the keeping of unsprung weight down. The Camaro's wheel and tire set up are not optimum for the track, way too heavy.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:48 AM   #44
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Or-Nothing View Post
What happened to the guys who were trying to beat a GTR with the V6 Camaro with a turbo set-up.
My guess is that they'll have it out next season. So far there's only been 1 turbo LLT V6 that I know of and that's the Leno SEMA car. I guess that engine is a tough nut to crack.

The Camaro's ring time is as much due to the suspension tuning GM gave it as weight. There are numerous cars out there that weigh roughly the same as the Camaro yet were faster (they also had more power). The Camaro doesn't have the greatest suspension tuning that they could have given it. They left a reasonable amount of room for improvement, most likely to let the Z28 handle better than the SS.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 11-27-2009, 09:54 AM   #45
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Preproduction car, may or may not have had the production HP or suspension setup...
so when someone comes out with the production numbers I won't put any stock in what it did on that occasion.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:08 AM   #46
Partick

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Well this has been beaten to death...again
Old 11-27-2009, 10:22 AM   #47
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC-SS View Post
Resurrected by someone that drives a BMW... Good one dude...
Yep, just to start some crap. Plain and simple.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:22 AM   #48
jbsrace1

Drives: 2010 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partick View Post
Well this has been beaten to death...again
Yea it has but I am still impressed that the camaro was faster than the Lotus, Porshe & BMW at almost half the price
Old 11-27-2009, 10:28 AM   #49
superstockcam

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS LS3
The Nürburgring is definitly the European standard for closed track times, what I know about my Camaro with no modifications is that I turn in times under 3 minutes at our area track on the "A" full course. the "average" lap time for stock class"Viper,WRxi,Vette and so on" is 3:15. There is a saying in the west "It's the Indian not the arrow" this applies to racing much more than people think. The way Top Gear does it with their race driver is a fair comprehensive test IMO, although its a short course I will wait to see what they do on their home track.

I love my car and how it handles just fine!

Attached Images

Last edited by superstockcam; 11-27-2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-27-2009, 02:52 PM   #50
THUMPER20X
GM fix my PAINT U suck!

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS/RS 6Spd
Calibrating any car on the Nurbengerbinflurbinring is ridiculous. Its unrealistic and the course is so huge its all about the driver. An 04 STi can do it in about 8:06 stock but the car is designed for that kindoff road.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:10 PM   #51
rj45

Drives: 2010 SS
I think the Camaro handles well for what it is..a fast street car. It takes turns flat and fast. How much more handling do you need on the street? The Camaro's not a track star, but it handles the road very well.

Sure, pure sports cars have a certain feel, and that does count for something, but the average car-guy basically wants the car to be able to take the corners at speed and remain composed.
Old 11-27-2009, 05:04 PM   #52
HashimAzzouz

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IOM ~ 2009 Traverse LT
Who cares about a german track
Old 11-27-2009, 09:19 PM   #53
sen10l

Drives: In Transit
The Camaro beat the M3 and you're disappointed? I think that is freaking fantastic performance and handling!
Old 11-28-2009, 01:27 AM   #54
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen10l View Post
The Camaro beat the M3 and you're disappointed? I think that is freaking fantastic performance and handling!
Not the current model, the one that debuted a decade ago.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 11-28-2009, 01:31 AM   #55
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
dude it beat a m3 and a porsche that good as hell...... lol its a muscle car
Old 11-28-2009, 02:09 AM   #56
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
dude it beat a m3 and a porsche that good as hell...... lol its a muscle car
Yes ... and it also clocked a time faster than the C5 Corvette. I just think that it would only be fair to compare it against current models. Current M3: 8:05. The C6 Corvette (with Z51 suspension): 7:59. The Camaro SS posted a pretty good time and I don't know of many cars that sold for less that actually beat it.

Camaro Fest sub-forum

Closed Thread