Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 06-23-2016, 05:27 PM   #1
afabry10

Drives: 2010 SS victory red
Angry Check engine probs

Last September I installed my kooks heads and borla s type exhaust. Converters cats all that good stuff. My check engine light has been on for several months since the install. I hooked my snap on scanner up to it and got catalyst below efficieny bank 1 and bank 2. Ive replaced both upstream and downstream O2 sensors and cleared the code in hopes of fixing the problem. The very next day check engine is back on with the same codes....Any ideas on how i can fix this issue??
afabry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 05:30 PM   #2
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Long tubes or shorties? Headers will cause a CEL over time, only way to rid yourself of it is to tune out the rear O2s.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 06:03 PM   #3
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Get a tune. Not only will you notice an entirely different car when it's been tuned, but you will eliminate the CEL.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:04 PM   #4
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
Get a tune. Not only will you notice an entirely different car when it's been tuned, but you will eliminate the CEL.
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:35 PM   #5
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by afabry10 View Post
Last September I installed my kooks heads and borla s type exhaust. Converters cats all that good stuff. My check engine light has been on for several months since the install. I hooked my snap on scanner up to it and got catalyst below efficieny bank 1 and bank 2. Ive replaced both upstream and downstream O2 sensors and cleared the code in hopes of fixing the problem. The very next day check engine is back on with the same codes....Any ideas on how i can fix this issue??
The O2s were fine. You need a tune to either adjust for the distance, timing between them in the headers (further apart than OE) or have them turned off.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:15 PM   #6
SS/RS2010

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Call me nostalgiac or just a dreamer, but I long for the days when you opened the hood of your car and you saw engine....just engine. No electronics, no computers, just an iron block full of mean horses.
SS/RS2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:43 AM   #7
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS/RS2010 View Post
Call me nostalgiac or just a dreamer, but I long for the days when you opened the hood of your car and you saw engine....just engine. No electronics, no computers, just an iron block full of mean horses.
I hear ya, but I do NOT miss changing points, plugs, condensers, rotors, distributer caps, plug wires, etc., on a regular basis.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:44 AM   #8
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by afabry10 View Post
Have you had it tuned since you put the headers on?
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:33 AM   #9

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
I hear ya, but I do NOT miss changing points, plugs, condensers, rotors, distributer caps, plug wires, etc., on a regular basis.
I'm in this camp as well....

Living in Arizona with elevation changes of 4-5k foot within 2 hours driving of my house... old school setups are less than desirable.

If one has the electronic tools and the training these cars are much easier to tweak than old school.
I think I see a trend here....
4510 is offline   Reply With Quote