Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 01-21-2010, 11:17 PM   #29
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwkss View Post
I checked your site, where is the tool? How much?
the tools are custom made. We only sell them to our dealers. We tried "lending" some of our tools, but an extremely high % of them came back damaged or destroyed. So we do not do it any more

mike
dms
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:23 PM   #30
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcwby View Post
I don't see the tool you used working on the Camaro. The diff bushings are in a steel cup, with a flange that interferes with your tool.
If you are so convinced that your tool works so well on the Camaro, send me one of the tools to test. If it works I'll definitely give you a super write up.
Even with the tool, no way it's only one hour. Takes half that long just to get the car up on stands and properly supported.
First of all, I do not have to prove it to any of you. We have done it many times. I only mentioned it because of the 8 hours The tool is used for the Camaro and G8. The Camaro might take about 5 minutes longer because of the flange has to be moved. But that is it. These tools are not mass produced and are custom made. We make no money on them so we do not want to sell them to everyone.

I am in travel mode the next 2 weeks. I have a Justice Package and a Track system to do on 2 Camaros locally. I will be taking a million pictures and documenting the builds. And from these pictures, will make or update a ton of install manual. I will be glad to post and do first the rear diff mount bushings, first so all of you that said it cannot work can be done or impossible can see how Pedders gets things done in an efficient manner.

mike
dms
mike
dms
Old 01-21-2010, 11:34 PM   #31
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
I don't see the tool you used working on the Camaro. The diff bushings are in a steel cup, with a flange that interferes with your tool.
If you are so convinced that your tool works so well on the Camaro, send me one of the tools to test. If it works I'll definitely give you a super write up.
Even with the tool, no way it's only one hour. Takes half that long just to get the car up on stands and properly supported.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:07 AM   #32
Qwkss

Drives: Hoopty Winter Beater
Quote:
Originally Posted by dms View Post
the tools are custom made. We only sell them to our dealers. We tried "lending" some of our tools, but an extremely high % of them came back damaged or destroyed. So we do not do it any more

mike
dms
Ok. Who is a Dealer in the Cincinnati area where I can buy one from??

Quote:
First of all, I do not have to prove it to any of you. We have done it many times. I only mentioned it because of the 8 hours The tool is used for the Camaro and G8. The Camaro might take about 5 minutes longer because of the flange has to be moved. But that is it. These tools are not mass produced and are custom made. We make no money on them so we do not want to sell them to everyone.

I am in travel mode the next 2 weeks. I have a Justice Package and a Track system to do on 2 Camaros locally. I will be taking a million pictures and documenting the builds. And from these pictures, will make or update a ton of install manual. I will be glad to post and do first the rear diff mount bushings, first so all of you that said it cannot work can be done or impossible can see how Pedders gets things done in an efficient manner.

mike
dms
mike
dms
I thought the guy was being sarcastic. Sounds like you are working too much overtime and need a break.
Qwkss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:32 AM   #33
mtcwby
High on "The Camaro Life"

Drives: 2010 2SS, IOM, LS3, Vortech, LG cam
Send a message via AIM to mtcwby
Quote:

mike
dms
mike
dms
Yes, I can see the tool working IF you cut the flange off the oem bushing with a sawzall first, but your instructions (that you posted) did not say anything about cutting off the flange.
As far as 1 hour, never, unless you have 4 guys on it, that have done it before. It will take that long to get it up on stands and to remove the exhaust system. You are probably exaggerating the time to say it is easy. But guys on this forum that DIY don't want exaggerations. They want realistic times that can be achieved by the average guy in his garage, that has never done it before. Sure once you do a couple of them you can usually cut the time in half. But how many of us will ever do it more than once? So give us REAL times. Bring in someone that is mechanically inclined, give him some good directions(for the Camaro, not a G8), jack stands, floor jack, and normal hand tools and see how long it takes to do ONE kit. Not 2 kits or 3 kits. That will be a realistic install time.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:43 AM   #34
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Yes, I can see the tool working IF you cut the flange off the oem bushing with a sawzall first, but your instructions (that you posted) did not say anything about cutting off the flange.
As far as 1 hour, never, unless you have 4 guys on it, that have done it before. It will take that long to get it up on stands and to remove the exhaust system. You are probably exaggerating the time to say it is easy. But guys on this forum that DIY don't want exaggerations. They want realistic times that can be achieved by the average guy in his garage, that has never done it before. Sure once you do a couple of them you can usually cut the time in half. But how many of us will ever do it more than once? So give us REAL times. Bring in someone that is mechanically inclined, give him some good directions(for the Camaro, not a G8), jack stands, floor jack, and normal hand tools and see how long it takes to do ONE kit. Not 2 kits or 3 kits. That will be a realistic install time.
Your posts do sound like you're trying to pick a fight. I believe he was talking to Aaron when he said it can be done in an hour, not you.

This is the type of job that really isn't a DIY, should be left to professionals unless you have the skills and tools to R&R bushings. If you do have the skill, then, yeah, the first one will probably take considerably longer than an hour.

Last edited by Mr Twisty; 01-23-2010 at 08:55 AM.
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:58 AM   #35
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Quote:
I am the guy that writes the manuals and install sheets for Pedders. On most of the component install sheets that I have done, I have done them in my driveway, on jack stands, using my compressors, air guns and quality tools. I have done the subframe and diff mount bushings in my driveway 3-4 times and it is very easy. Have not done it in my driveway on a Camaro, but have done it in the shop. You do have to modify the steel jacket. With a air chisel, maybe 30 seconds to a minute per bushing of work is required.

I am also the one that has established the recommended labor times for our PEDDERS dealers. I program 1 hour of time into our systems for the diff mount bushings.

As a final note, I did not make these posts in any way to promote Pedders or to say Pedders is better parts than others. The point of my posts is to assist everyone, from Pfadt to the DIY guys in taking a job the the author of this forum spent 8 hours on, and Pfadt thinks it is a 5 hour job. I am not an engineer like Aaron. But I have very serious practical experiences, am a semi expert in finding procedures for auto repair to be more efficient. I also have a PHD in the "College of Hard Knocks" It absolutely blows me away that so many seem to be angry that I can get this done in a hour, maybe 1.5 for a first timer. If you do not want to believe me, that is OK. If you have specific questions on the install process, I would be glad to assist this community as I always have.

mike
dms
Old 01-23-2010, 09:24 AM   #36
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
I am glad someone else is taking care of this for me! Looks like a HUGE PITA!
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:17 PM   #37
Blue70SS

Drives: 10 LS3 2SSRS IOM,21 ZLE Wild Cherry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
I am glad someone else is taking care of this for me! Looks like a HUGE PITA!
Actually enjoy doing most of the mods myself.... just not tackling the engine this time around. This work is more like playtime when working on your own car. Plus I get the satisfaction of saying "I did it". Besides, what's the fun of having a muscle car if your not going to "tinker" with it.

Can hardly wait for Pfadt coilover install & test drives!
Squash twins,GT9,Coil Covers,Mats,Pedals/ADM Gauges,Race Scoop/Trunions
DDS CVs,Carbon F DS/RPM L6/LPE 9.5 3.73/Pedders HD bushes,align kit
RB 2-piece rotors,S/S Lines,Hawk HPE Pads/Forgeline SP3P/Weld RTS
Ceramic ARH 2" LT/3" X-pipe,Corsa Touring/BMR TA,Toe,LCA,DS Loop
StreetSlayer BC3/MTI Shifter-Trans mt/Hotchkis CB/Monster CC/SJM LineLock
PFADT Coil Overs,Sways,Links,Mounts,SF Bushes,Camber Kit

LPE Brotherhood
Blue70SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:53 PM   #38
RichJ.
Shop Owner

Drives: 1 ton silverado
It generally takes us about an hour here in the shop.
RichJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:00 PM   #39
RichJ.
Shop Owner

Drives: 1 ton silverado
Thanks Blue70SS for the write up and pictures
RichJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:02 AM   #40
Blue70SS

Drives: 10 LS3 2SSRS IOM,21 ZLE Wild Cherry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichJ. View Post
Thanks Blue70SS for the write up and pictures
All in fun ..... crazy how addictive these cars are!
Squash twins,GT9,Coil Covers,Mats,Pedals/ADM Gauges,Race Scoop/Trunions
DDS CVs,Carbon F DS/RPM L6/LPE 9.5 3.73/Pedders HD bushes,align kit
RB 2-piece rotors,S/S Lines,Hawk HPE Pads/Forgeline SP3P/Weld RTS
Ceramic ARH 2" LT/3" X-pipe,Corsa Touring/BMR TA,Toe,LCA,DS Loop
StreetSlayer BC3/MTI Shifter-Trans mt/Hotchkis CB/Monster CC/SJM LineLock
PFADT Coil Overs,Sways,Links,Mounts,SF Bushes,Camber Kit

LPE Brotherhood
Blue70SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:11 PM   #41
Qwkss

Drives: Hoopty Winter Beater
Quote:

mike
dms
First off, THANK YOU for the motivation. We looked around and could not find this tool you speak of. So we made our own. Worked great.

But you do have to cut one small piece of the old.

Then "fold" up the edge or knock it off.

Install tool.

Impact it.

VIOLA!! All three are gone.

Last edited by Qwkss; 01-26-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Qwkss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:48 PM   #42
Cruz-lo

Drives: 2010 2ss RS
Well MY .02 as a DIY it took me 4 hours to get the factory bushings out after I removed the diff! I made a tool and then had to cut the flange of the steel jacket off too!

For me it was better to take everyting out of the car!! I think it is faster in the end.

Cruz-lo is offline   Reply With Quote