Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 08-28-2011, 07:47 PM   #15
KEEP RT
Wonderfully Awful Idea

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
i think caught cans are over rated. i bet most people here wont even have there car long enough to see damage from excess oil lol. other than a exhaust should be number one for next mod !
That's like saying " I don't plan on smoking long so unfiltered cigarets won't hurt me. Then 5 years later "I wished I'd taken better care of myself when I was younger." Don't forget to empty it every 3K miles.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:15 PM   #16
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
I know for sure that is not true of forced induction cars. I realize the OP is not talking about that, but I think it's important to point that out. A catch can is relatively inexpensive and is especially important for FI cars.

To the OP: I don't see headers and drop springs/sway bars on your list. I highly recommend those. (Along with a dyno tune!)
ya like i said most people are not really going to need it. plus most have a 100k/5 year warranty. most people do not void there warranty BTW for ANY car. i personally think people over react with the cans. i mean you really think GM would make a engine with that big of a problem? think about how many people bought a camaro and how many are not adding catch cans and how people people are not going to have any problems lol. because that would be a bad engine if people are having excess oil screwing there engines up. plus who here is really going to drive there camaros past 120k miles ?

but yes FI is different story.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:17 PM   #17
iMONEY

Drives: RS 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEEP RT View Post
A catch can removes the suspended oil that is in the hot gases in your engine block. It goes inline with the return from the PVC that regulates pressure in the block. It normally sends this in to your intake to be burnt. It is the biggest cause of deposits on valves and carbon build up in modern engines.
Thanks kindly.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:54 PM   #18
KEEP RT
Wonderfully Awful Idea

Quote:
ya like i said most people are not really going to need it. plus most have a 100k/5 year warranty. most people do not void there warranty BTW for ANY car. i personally think people over react with the cans. i mean you really think GM would make a engine with that big of a problem? think about how many people bought a camaro and how many are not adding catch cans and how people people are not going to have any problems lol. because that would be a bad engine if people are having excess oil screwing there engines up. plus who here is really going to drive there camaros past 120k miles ?

I plan on 300K plus. If I were to buy a used and the only difference between a choice of two that the only difference was a "can" I'd buy the one with a can. Have you ever opened up an engine Mike? Or do you talk like you know? Your the type I'd never buy from. The run it till it pukes, then it's someone else's problem. It wont void a warranty either.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:00 PM   #19
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
I often run my cars well past 120,000 miles. (I don't have anyone to buy my cars for me.) I've seen plenty of cars that have oil residue in their intakes whether they are FI or NA cars. I think a catch can is a good idea.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:28 PM   #20
Synner

Drives: cars
Quote:

It's an EPA/emissions requirement. GM doesn't have any say in the matter.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:33 PM   #21
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEEP RT View Post
I plan on 300K plus. If I were to buy a used and the only difference between a choice of two that the only difference was a "can" I'd buy the one with a can. Have you ever opened up an engine Mike? Or do you talk like you know? Your the type I'd never buy from. The run it till it pukes, then it's someone else's problem. It wont void a warranty either.
well thinking back the people i talked to about this do work on engines and know what they are doing, but they were not thinking of 300k miles on a car. i am only saying for people who don't drive there cars past 100k miles really do not need one. and to be honest rich or poor i don't see any body hitting over 150k miles or even 200k miles on a car.

and BTW most people do not know what a catch can is nor know anything about how to truly take care of a engine.i probably wont be able to sell to you, but the rest of the 95% of people i could.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:45 PM   #22
KEEP RT
Wonderfully Awful Idea

I can't remember who said it but it again holds true. ....."Never argue with an idiot, an on looker may not be able to tell who is who." Buy a catch can, install it, periodically empty it. It's cheep money for a long term value and if it does work by stopping some oil from getting the worst thing that can happen is lower emissions.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:52 AM   #23
SamHouseIII
I Carry!

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
CAI ordered and this makes 12 Mods to install...Now to find the time when I get back. Bow Hunt, Mod, Muzzle Loader, Mod, Deer Gun, Mod, Bow Hunt, Mod..........Lol
SamHouseIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:03 AM   #24
KEEP RT
Wonderfully Awful Idea

Sounds like a good change back and fourth.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:08 PM   #25
SamHouseIII
I Carry!

One more added to the list
Old 09-06-2011, 06:51 AM   #26
SamHouseIII
I Carry!

Today begins work on the list, Wife is taking the car to the dealer to install the Rally Stripes

Before Pic.

Will post after in the a.m. time for me (I am in Iraq)
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2011, 07:34 AM   #27
Caspers2SSRS
Caspers2SSRS

Drives: Summit White 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Very Nice looking example......What color rally stripes? White looks best on red I'd think. Just a passing thought.......... so I'll be the one to ask, before someone else does, if you've instructed her to have the dealer remove his advertisement from your rear end......lol
Caspers2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:49 AM   #28
SamHouseIII
I Carry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspers2SSRS View Post
Very Nice looking example......What color rally stripes? White looks best on red I'd think. Just a passing thought.......... so I'll be the one to ask, before someone else does, if you've instructed her to have the dealer remove his advertisement from your rear end......lol
Doing the White on the IOM.

Sam