Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-22-2013, 12:29 PM   #1
The Magic Man
Now u see me..now u dont!

Drives: Blue Magic '11 IBM 2LT/RS M6
Camshaft issue and warranty

Need help. Took my car in to the dealer for rattling sound in 2nd gear and at high rpms. The dealer said there was an issue with the left camshaft. They said they would need to speak with Chevy to see if they would cover under warranty since i have a few mods. I have Mrt v2, VR intake, and RX catch can. Could any of these cause an issue with the camshaft and void the warranty? The car has 20k miles.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #2
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Nope. Take it to another dealer.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
Deftones

Drives: 2012 RS/SS LS3
magnuson-moss warranty act, look into that. Show up informed and watch them change their view. They basically have to prove that your mods are causing the damage.
Deftones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
The Magic Man

Thanks for the advice guys. They havent actually said they will not cover. I got the "we'll get back to you after speaking to Chevy". Just want to be prepared if they try to B.S me. I will update once they let me know.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #5
SB09

Drives: 2012 SS/RS M6 AGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
magnuson-moss warranty act, look into that. Show up informed and watch them change their view. They basically have to prove that your mods are causing the damage.
Pretty much sums it up. I can't see any of those mods being related to a cam.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:12 PM   #6
The Magic Man

My car has been at the dealership for nearly 2 weeks. Just got a call that they are replacing the crankshaft under warranty. The dealership says lack of oil and tried to blame it on the catch can I have installed. I have 20K miles and had the oil changed (by a different dealership) at about 16K miles. I am concerned that once I get it back I will still have an issue with oil consumption since they are blaming the catch can (which is BS) and not looking into any possible underlying issues. I honestly would have preferred a new block. What should I do?
Old 05-03-2013, 02:09 PM   #7
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magic Man View Post
My car has been at the dealership for nearly 2 weeks. Just got a call that they are replacing the crankshaft under warranty. The dealership says lack of oil and tried to blame it on the catch can I have installed. I have 20K miles and had the oil changed (by a different dealership) at about 16K miles. I am concerned that once I get it back I will still have an issue with oil consumption since they are blaming the catch can (which is BS) and not looking into any possible underlying issues. I honestly would have preferred a new block. What should I do?
The Magic Man,

I'm sorry to hear about the rattling sound you were experiencing in second gear. Unfortunately, any modifications to the vehicle that are found to be the reason behind a vehicle issue can potentially void your warranty. Is your vehicle at a GM certified dealership? I would be more than happy to investigate this further for you, and provide several certified GM dealerships located near your zip code. Feel free to PM me your name, address, phone number, VIN, and mileage. I look forward to your message.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 05-03-2013, 02:29 PM   #8
The Magic Man

Thank for reaching out William. PM Sent. The vehicle is at a GM certified dealership.

With all the stuff on here about engine failure due to excessive oil consumption I just want to make sure they look into everything that may be causing it besides the aftermarket catch can. I understand any modified part or after market addition may cause the warranty to be voided if it caused the issue but the catch can is designed to prolong engine life not shorten it.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:58 AM   #9
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
No problem Magic Man!

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care