Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-01-2015, 07:42 AM   #1
goldcoastmat

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS convertable
Modding cause issues with AC compressor?

The AC compressor locked up on me. A mechanic I use occasionally told me it was because of all the mods on my car, that I'm putting out to much power for the compressor to handle, spinning it to fast and causing issue's.

My trust level in this guy has gone down a lot over this because he overcharged the heck out of me on the part. (he charged $400, I found the part online for half that)

Is this something that really happens though?

if so does the Zl1 have a different compressor? My car has the power levels of a stock Zl1 but naturally aspirated so a ZL1 compressor (if there is such a thing) would fix this problem.

Are there other aftermarket compressors out there that could stop this from being an issue?

Mods list to long to fit in sig now lol

Check build thread

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377507
goldcoastmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:54 AM   #2
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Did the compressor lock up or the clutch?
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:55 AM   #3
motorhead

I don't believe the too much power story.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:00 AM   #4
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
spins too fast? it doesn't matter if you have 200hp or 2000hp, 3000rpm is still 3000rpm...

find a new mechanic.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:05 AM   #5
goldcoastmat

That's what I was thinking to..

I'm not a mechanic beyond basic's, I noticed the day after taking it to PBIR and doing 4 1/4 mile passes. The AC was spotty before then but now turning the AC on caused burnt rubber smelling smoke to billow out of the hood, turning the AC off stopped it. Opened the hood to look and there's gunk all around the pulley on the compressor.

I guess that answers most of my questions. Thanks..

Check build thread

Old 06-01-2015, 08:23 AM   #6
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
I mean obviously the compressor is shot, but there are plenty of guys running high HP with functional A/C.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:43 AM   #7
WisTech

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS
I agree with motorhead and denis...power level doesn't matter. But costing twice as much as internet...that's just a business doing business. The internet will always be cheaper...but the shop can't stand behind the internet part like they can their own. Your paying for warranty and hopefully a quality part.

After that "too much power" comment...kinda seems sketchy.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:30 PM   #8
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
I would keep the A/C turned off when your running really high RPMs for long periods of time, it actually disengages itself under WOT anyway.

My guess would be the compressor just gave up, not because you make too much power but just because it was it's time. Fix it and move on.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:48 PM   #9
Indyblue98
2012 RS 2ss

Drives: 2018 ZL1 2012 2SS WhippleCharged
Looking at the list of mods your car has, I see 3.91 gears and high stall convertor.
Your car maybe only making the HP of the ZL1 , but with the Stall and the Gears I bet its revving a lot quicker.
Just like the Clutch in a Manual trans car needs upgraded with more horsepower and aggressive gearing , I can see how the mechanic could say there is now more stress on the Air Conditioner both the pump and the clutch.
Not sure about a ZL1 pump
Like another mentioned , there is a cutoff switch that keeps the Pump from running at WOT, but how much sooner are you putting that stress on the AC after the mods, even though your pedal is not on the floor.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:42 AM   #10
goldcoastmat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyblue98 View Post
Looking at the list of mods your car has, I see 3.91 gears and high stall convertor.
Your car maybe only making the HP of the ZL1 , but with the Stall and the Gears I bet its revving a lot quicker.
Just like the Clutch in a Manual trans car needs upgraded with more horsepower and aggressive gearing , I can see how the mechanic could say there is now more stress on the Air Conditioner both the pump and the clutch.
Not sure about a ZL1 pump
Like another mentioned , there is a cutoff switch that keeps the Pump from running at WOT, but how much sooner are you putting that stress on the AC after the mods, even though your pedal is not on the floor.
Thanks for that, I'll be researching aftermarket AC just in case I fry it again so I know what to put in when/if it happens.

Check build thread

Old 06-05-2015, 06:56 AM   #11
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldcoastmat View Post
Thanks for that, I'll be researching aftermarket AC just in case I fry it again so I know what to put in when/if it happens.
Do any of your mods, like say the transmission cooler, block airflow or introduce more heat across the condenser coil? 134a and POE oil do not like excessive heat.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:49 AM   #12
goldcoastmat

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Do any of your mods, like say the transmission cooler, block airflow or introduce more heat across the condenser coil? 134a and POE oil do not like excessive heat.
Not that I'm aware of, I'll check it out this weekend but I'm pretty sure they arent blocking the coil.

Check build thread

Old 06-06-2015, 10:58 AM   #13
LSX Camaro
Master ASE, GM, LSX Tech.

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
The power output of the engine is not going to hurt the compressor. The compressor can fail internally or externally. A internal failure is usually caused from low oil level in the system causing the compressor to lock up. Externally the clutch or bearing in the pulley can lock up.
There is a big quality difference when comparing compressors. A OE compressor is not the same as a cheap Chinese piece found at a discount store. There is a additive that can added to the oil that improves overall efficiency and extends compressor life.
www.ice32.com
2010 2SSRS A6, Custom Pat G. Cam, WCCH Cylinder Heads, Kooks Headers/Exhaust, BTR Valvetrain, Fluidampr 25% UDP, All Engine ARP bolts, Flex-a-lite radiator/Trans cooler, Yank converter, PFADT Suspension, ADM Race Intake/Scoop, Torq tow hook, CFD auto shifter, Dynojet AFR gauge, Aeroforce scan gauge, Brake Performance rotors/pads
Prothane bushings, ZL1 wheels, spoiler, Z/28 wickerbill, 1LE Aero/Suspension Package, Anderson Composites COPO Carbon Fiber Hood, LED lighting, Elite Catch Can, Improved Racing oil pan baffle, crank scraper, windage tray
480 RWHP 452 RWTQ + Nitrous Express 150 Shot
LSX Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:52 PM   #14
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Be sure to resesrch removing all the debris that is now in the refrigeration system from yiur failure.

http://www.aircondition.com/tech/que...Black-Death%3F
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote