Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-16-2013, 07:50 AM   #15
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrisebo View Post
Even after paint correction shouldnt there be a coat of wax on it?
Opti-Coat is a permanent synthetic sealant. Many people now will only put selants on there cars and skip wax. With Opti-Coat, waxes won't have the longevity if it can't bond as well. With how good products are becoming you can get away without putting wax on if you put a quality sealant on, but you still can provided you give it the required curing time.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:13 PM   #16
Ice992
Semper Fi

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Glad you're happy but most in this forum would have rather spent less on all the equipment and products, then did it ourselves. We'd have enough to do SEVERAL cars while we're at it.
Perhaps. For the paint correction though, I felt more comfortable having a pro do it, I wanted as close to perfect as possible, and dude had 14 hrs of time into correcting my paint alone. The opti-coat is also something that a pro should do... I've seen some bad opti-coat jobs, it's not pretty. That's just me though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrisebo View Post
Even after paint correction shouldnt there be a coat of wax on it?
As EC1990 said, it's a permanent sythetic sealant which is 10x harder than clear coat. no wax needed. You can clay bar it about once a year just to get off any excess gunk build up, but that's all that's needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec1990 View Post
Opti-Coat is a permanent synthetic sealant. Many people now will only put selants on there cars and skip wax. With Opti-Coat, waxes won't have the longevity if it can't bond as well. With how good products are becoming you can get away without putting wax on if you put a quality sealant on, but you still can provided you give it the required curing time.

Ready to live life on your terms?

-H-Town Camaro Club-
Ice992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:19 PM   #17
G Money

Drives: 2013 ZL1, 2016 Denali HD
Is Opti-Coat the same as Perma-Finish ?
G Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:20 PM   #18
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Money View Post
no, from the looks of it they seem to be similar products, but opticoat is the first product like that (circa 2005) and has a very good track history.

Why even think about something else? Especially when opticoat is only like $70.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:26 PM   #19
ec1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Money View Post
Possibly. I don't have much experience with it, but if it's something offered by a dealership I can honestly recommend against it. Why? Dealers add things on to make money and often don't have the training or expertise to make it worth it to have highly experienced detailers. Whereas there are semi-permanent sealants with a proven track record that can be done from home with the investment in quality detailing equipment. Coatings such as Opti-Coat, CQuartz, GTechniq EXO, etc...

So even if the product is quality, finding a good person to trust your paint with correction required (even if new, dealers are great at trashing your paint) and applying it correctly so it lasts can be difficult.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #20
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Forbid your dealer from washing, drying or waxing your car.

They are not skilled and they simply do not have the time to do it right.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:44 PM   #21
kostnkost
Roof expert detail noob

Drives: 2013 BRM 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by intensifi View Post
Forbid your dealer from washing, drying or waxing your car.

They are not skilled and they simply do not have the time to do it right.

So true! I already had to hang this in my rear view mirror and my shifter, and still had the dealership call me because a bird shit on my car. AT least they had the sense to call before swirling the crap out of my car.

Last edited by kostnkost; 07-17-2013 at 05:15 AM.
kostnkost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:12 PM   #22
AbsoluteMayheM
LongTimeLurker

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS Convertible L99
this should be a sticky by itself!!!!!

[/QUOTE]

AbsoluteMayheM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #23
Ice992
Semper Fi

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec1990 View Post
Possibly. I don't have much experience with it, but if it's something offered by a dealership I can honestly recommend against it. Why? Dealers add things on to make money and often don't have the training or expertise to make it worth it to have highly experienced detailers. Whereas there are semi-permanent sealants with a proven track record that can be done from home with the investment in quality detailing equipment. Coatings such as Opti-Coat, CQuartz, GTechniq EXO, etc...

So even if the product is quality, finding a good person to trust your paint with correction required (even if new, dealers are great at trashing your paint) and applying it correctly so it lasts can be difficult.
Opti-coat has 2 versions, one for consumers, and "opti-gaurd" which is for professional application only... not sure the difference...

Ready to live life on your terms?

-H-Town Camaro Club-
Ice992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:32 PM   #24
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice992 View Post
Opti-coat has 2 versions, one for consumers, and "opti-gaurd" which is for professional application only... not sure the difference...
Opti-guard is the original. Cures faster and is a little bit thicker than opticoat.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:53 PM   #25
ec1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
Opti-guard is the original. Cures faster and is a little bit thicker than opticoat.
Yep similar to CQuartz and their Finest line. I think it's also a way to authorize detailers.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:44 PM   #26
5150 Maro

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 209camaross View Post
So my car has been getting a lot of swirl marks since I got it so I decided to get it polish. I left my car at the dealership, they charged me 100 bucks to polish and wax it. When I went to pick it up the next day it looked amazing most of the swirls were gone but after two washes all the swirl marks came back. Is it possible they just put some mirror glaze on it and it washed away??

I sent you a PM for a detail guy in Modesto who does great work
5150 Maro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:40 PM   #27
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Adams View Post
It's very likely that they threw some glaze on it with heavy fillers and it's disappearing.

How are you washing the car?
yep, exactly, you could have done that at a fraction of the price. if they had done a real polishing of the paint with a DA you wouldn't be seeing them again. Dealerships make the cars look good long enough to get your signiture and then they could care less after that.(or at least most). there in the business of moving cars.

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote