Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-26-2013, 09:15 AM   #29
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6 Bryan View Post
Whine on acceleration-backash is too loose, whine on decel-backlash is too tight.

The first time I brought mine in that was the problem, they replaced the ring and pinion but I still had the noise, after the service bulletin proceedure it has been quiet.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:16 AM   #30
djnice

Drives: 13 ZL1 SIM, 99 Z28 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6 Bryan View Post
Whine on acceleration-backash is too loose, whine on decel-backlash is too tight.
Light accel and decel? It is when going between on and off throttle. I think decel, but will need to pay better attention.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:47 PM   #31
Kyle M

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Kyle M Send a message via MSN to Kyle M Send a message via Yahoo to Kyle M Send a message via Skype™ to Kyle M
I started noticing the moaning sounds recently. I've got an appt to take it in next Monday. Thanks for the info in this thread.
Kyle M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:50 PM   #32
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle M View Post
I started noticing the moaning sounds recently. I've got an appt to take it in next Monday. Thanks for the info in this thread.
Greetings Kyle,

I'm happy to hear about your service appointment. Let me know if additional assistance is needed for any reason while you're at the dealership. I hope all goes well for you!

Sincerely,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 07-30-2013, 06:09 PM   #33
Kyle M

Send a message via AIM to Kyle M Send a message via MSN to Kyle M Send a message via Yahoo to Kyle M Send a message via Skype™ to Kyle M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Greetings Kyle,

I'm happy to hear about your service appointment. Let me know if additional assistance is needed for any reason while you're at the dealership. I hope all goes well for you!

Sincerely,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Thank you William. I will gladly let you know if I need additional assistance.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:08 PM   #34
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Thank you William. I will gladly let you know if I need additional assistance.
No problem!

I'll look forward to your contact if you do so.

Kind regards,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 07-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #35
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
...it's a "hard" design meant for racing, it's not designed for quiet operation, change the gear lube with the proper lubricant at or around 1,500 miles and be done with it. If the noise progressively gets worse over time you have a problem, otherwise it's doing it's job.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:56 PM   #36
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
...it's a "hard" design meant for racing, it's not designed for quiet operation, change the gear lube with the proper lubricant at or around 1,500 miles and be done with it. If the noise progressively gets worse over time you have a problem, otherwise it's doing it's job.
If this were true they'd all make noise, and many are quiet. Outside of the moan, it's poor quality control if the manufacturer can't set the gear lash correctly on all the diffs. This goes back to the bogus arguement that its a "hot rod and its supposed to make more noise."
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:07 PM   #37
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerZL1 View Post
If this were true they'd all make noise, and many are quiet. Outside of the moan, it's poor quality control if the manufacturer can't set the gear lash correctly on all the diffs. This goes back to the bogus arguement that its a "hot rod and its supposed to make more noise."
...sorry, I disagree with you from my experience. This is not a Cadillac. There are noise issues with the rear axle that are trade off's in the functionality and life expectancy in the design of the unit to preclude any external noise levels that the driver may hear at times. It's not freakin' designed to be quiet. It's designed to be run hard for a long time, and at times it's a bit noisy. IMHO most of the complaints here come from people who do not have the background or experience to discern between a problem and normal function. If they hear something, it's falling apart. I have read every post about these issues listed here, have driven the car, and heard things for myself while operating same. I am not alarmed in the least bit.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:56 AM   #38
580/556 ZL1

Drives: 2013ZL1/A6/T.BLACK
Quote:
...sorry, I disagree with you from my experience. This is not a Cadillac. There are noise issues with the rear axle that are trade off's in the functionality and life expectancy in the design of the unit to preclude any external noise levels that the driver may hear at times. It's not freakin' designed to be quiet. It's designed to be run hard for a long time, and at times it's a bit noisy. IMHO most of the complaints here come from people who do not have the background or experience to discern between a problem and normal function. If they hear something, it's falling apart. I have read every post about these issues listed here, have driven the car, and heard things for myself while operating same. I am not alarmed in the least bit.
AGREED!
580/556 ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:40 AM   #39
Garys16SS

Drives: 2016 SS, BLACK, MANUAL
Quote:

WELL SAID!!
1 7/8" headers and exhaust from Stainless Works complete with nonNPP mufflers and 5"outlets, Katech ported TB, Moroso catch can, MRR M017 polished powder wheels, Eibach lowering springs, and BMR upper/ lower trailing arms and upper control arms. ZL1/1le sway bars and Magnusson Supercharger with Jannetty tune. Stay Tuned!!!......More to come.
2014 Camaro Ashen grey, 3.6, 6 speed, Vararam intake, Elite catch can, chrome wheels, and Vitesse controller.
2003 SSR red,
2016 Vette
Garys16SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:09 AM   #40
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Quote:

I disagree, this would be understandable if they all made the same noise. Mine made the noise and now it doesn't. There are some that have never made the noise. They say the top end of the ZL1 is 184, but will all cars do 184, probably not, but they are all capable of doing 184 if everything is configured right. So you have rear ends that are quiet (everything done just right) and some that do make noise (not everything done right). Now, maybe that noise will never affect the performance or wear of the car or maybe it will. I haven't heard anyone from GM other than some Dealers saying the noise is ok. If it was ok would they have come out with a service bulletin to fix it?

Last edited by Sven59; 08-01-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Sven59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #41
Kyle M

Whine on accel or decel is not the issue I'm experiencing. I've had most the major rear end and diff combos (10 bolts, 9-inch, S60, limited slip, trutrac, spool, etc) under an F-body since the early 90's and I've never had any of them make this noise when I turn sharply at low speed, especially backing out of the driveway. If that was normal, I don't think there would be a TSB for it.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:29 PM   #42
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Quote:
Whine on accel or decel is not the issue I'm experiencing. I've had most the major rear end and diff combos (10 bolts, 9-inch, S60, limited slip, trutrac, spool, etc) under an F-body since the early 90's and I've never had any of them make this noise when I turn sharply at low speed, especially backing out of the driveway. If that was normal, I don't think there would be a TSB for it.
I have heard some say that it is coming from the clutch packs. Most of my noises were like yours slow speed turning.