Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #183
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro IOM
I'm not sure how much lighter/ heavier my new 18s will be compared to my Nurburgrings I'll have to weigh them when I get them. It will be interesting learning what way is best to launch with the new setup, maybe Mike can help me out
Old 12-13-2013, 09:58 PM   #184
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John View Post
If I were V6 auto, I'd do a converter before I would do gears as the converter will help the 60 foot more.

I run my drag radials at 16 psi cold. Skinnies would have gotten me in an the 11's, my 18's are 11 lbs lighter each than the 20x9's I had on there (57 vs 68 lbs). Skinnies would probably be 35 lbs.

I'd do a 3200 stall, tune, exhaust, weight reduction, Nitto 555R drag radials, and skinnies.
That's my plan. Already started doing the research for it. Don't want to lose to much driveability

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:09 PM   #185
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
That's my plan. Already started doing the research for it. Don't want to lose to much driveability

You sure have a lot of plans lol
Old 12-13-2013, 10:13 PM   #186
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjkjr27 View Post
You sure have a lot of plans lol

Old 12-13-2013, 10:25 PM   #187
Macrackie

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS Stripper model
My idea of a poormans rear seat delete as follows...

Remove seat (obvious)
Purchase 1/2" pink or blue board insulation
Cut and sand to fit trunk opening as needed.
Cover in black nylon or cloth
Pop in place with a clamp on latch from the trunk.
Do the same where seat bottom was or add carpet to hide any uglys under seat.

Light weight and cheap.

Not sure what it looks like under the seat but I have folded mine down a couple of times.
Macrackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:27 PM   #188
Macrackie

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS Stripper model
There are glues that work on foam board if thickness needed to be built up or you wanted to mold lines into it.
Macrackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:44 PM   #189
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
I'm not sure how much lighter/ heavier my new 18s will be compared to my Nurburgrings I'll have to weigh them when I get them. It will be interesting learning what way is best to launch with the new setup, maybe Mike can help me out

You know I will tell you what I know.

Biggest issue you are going to have is getting both tires hot and sticky, since we are automatics. Can it be done, sure, is it easy, still struggling with that one.

Before investing into the torque converter that so many want to chime in on and some will even claim as much as 0.4 drop in the 1/4, I would look to swap out the rear from a manual so that you have posi. I am just now getting into that research for thinking purposes.

After you get thru the water box, heating them up launching is just like before. Slightly off idle and release the brake while smashing the gas.

Oh and one other thing, if you go with the Mickey Thompson's like I have, your dash will light up like Christmas and your systems for traction control, stabil-trak, ABS braking will all shut down. Not a big deal, but will catch you off guard the first time. When this happens your odometer for miles stops working too.

I put my wheels and tires on at home and drive with them to the track, only 45 minutes away. Your speedometer will be off to as you are using a smaller dia. tire. But our gearing effect goes from a 3.27 to a 3.57

I have run the PSI as low as 18 and thinking maybe I should try a little lower yet too.

Last edited by rtcat600man; 12-14-2013 at 06:16 AM. Reason: changed word...... from not to now
rtcat600man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:16 PM   #190
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcat600man View Post

Biggest issue you are going to have is getting both tires hot and sticky, since we are automatics. Can it be done, sure, is it easy, still struggling with that one.

Before investing into the torque converter that so many want to chime in on and some will even claim as much as 0.4 drop in the 1/4, I would look to swap out the rear from a manual so that you have posi. I am just not getting into that research for thinking purposes.

After you get thru the water box, heating them up launching is just like before. Slightly off idle and release the brake while smashing the gas.

Oh and one other thing, if you go with the Mickey Thompson's like I have, your dash will light up like Christmas and your systems for traction control, stabil-trak, ABS braking will all shut down. Not a big deal, but will catch you off guard the first time. When this happens your odometer for miles stops working too.

I put my wheels and tires on at home and drive with them to the track, only 45 minutes away. Your speedometer will be off to as you are using a smaller dia. tire. But our gearing effect goes from a 3.27 to a 3.57

I have run the PSI as low as 18 and thinking maybe I should try a little lower yet too.

Well can't wait for that experience haha!
Old 12-14-2013, 06:19 AM   #191
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Well can't wait for that experience haha!

Again that is only if you use tires with dia. that are different enough from the fronts for the system to register this and shut everything down. You can always look for something closer to the correct dia. and not worry about this ever happening. Just don't get to wide a tire. Our V6 set up like we have them doesn't really need more than the 265 width. You have to get the hot and sticky and the last time out for me I think it was just to cold of a day.

I plan to try a couple more times next year yet.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:16 AM   #192
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Always learning & enjoy reading the posts here.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:50 AM   #193
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
Quote:

Before investing into the torque converter that so many want to chime in on and some will even claim as much as 0.4 drop in the 1/4, I would look to swap out the rear from a manual so that you have posi. I am just now getting into that research for thinking purposes.
I back into water, middle of the water box. I then do a very short spin, and pull to the front edge. If I don't do that spin both wheels might not spin.

A former auto/v6 friend told me that the V6's shift pretty high. In the L99 auto the stock converter is about a 1600. I went 3200 and it's very drivable. I did try a 4000-4200 (the one that's in Rhino's car) and it was way too loose for a daily driver.

I would do a converter and a posi, drag radials, the others stuff you do, and I think it's possible.
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:37 AM   #194
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Quote:
Again that is only if you use tires with dia. that are different enough from the fronts for the system to register this and shut everything down. You can always look for something closer to the correct dia. and not worry about this ever happening. Just don't get to wide a tire. Our V6 set up like we have them doesn't really need more than the 265 width. You have to get the hot and sticky and the last time out for me I think it was just to cold of a day.

I plan to try a couple more times next year yet.
So that will happen then if i run with skinnies up front and might not happen if I run with my normal 275/40/20s?
Old 12-14-2013, 03:55 PM   #195
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
So that will happen then if i run with skinnies up front and might not happen if I run with my normal 275/40/20s?
Its all about the diameter of the tires. Stabilitrac works by making sure all four tires are rotating at the same or a very similar speed. When one tire starts spinning at a different rate, it knows something is up and that's when it interferes to correct the issue.

So if you could find some lighter rims/tires, or skinnes to put up front that are basically the same height as the rears you are running, you shouldn't have an issue. If what your running now is a similar height as the DRs you are getting you should be fine, but if you are running what Mike has, they won't be.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:07 PM   #196
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:

Yep, big claims on a looser torque converter but have never really seen anyone prove that out!
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12secbuild