Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Texas

Old 05-13-2011, 11:48 PM   #1
Drigar
SYSADM

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS,CGM,A6
The Texas Mile - May 2011

The Texas Mile will be run in May (27-29 May) for the first time aside from it's normal March and Otober dates, and also for the first time in Beevile, TX (used to be in Goliad, TX). Memorial day Weekend will be a blast at a new venue, and the first time it'll be run in May. It's sure to be a little warmer than the normal March or October dates, but in the last few years, those days have been pretty hot as well.
I'll be running down the one mile drag strip for my second time, this time I'm armed with my Magnuson TVS2300 supercharger, I want to break into the 170's with an ultimate goal of 180 MPH for this round. Our group also has two built Corvettes running in this one, the same two that ran last March, a red Corvette that ran 191.0, and our new high speed champ in a black Corvette that ran 191.2. They will be going head to head again, and we'll see if that .2 MPH was a fluke, or if it was driver performance
If you don't have any plans for that holiday weekend, come to Beevile and watch the action, every initial run down the track will be a new Texas Mile record since the Goliad records are sealed, and the new records start. If you're there, stop by and say hi, my car number will be 602 again this time, the corvettes will be 55 and 88.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:23 AM   #2
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
I'm going to wait for the October run and hope I'm home then... Going for 200 mph...Good luck with your run and post up the results... I'll be keeping up with the results from Brazil...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:08 AM   #3
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

Drives: 427 LSX- with TWINS
Location: Back in Michigan!! Do miss ATX and my Tejas friends
Send a message via AIM to Kyle.Gilmour
I was going to post this in your thread Robert... dang beat me to it.

200 is gonna be tough... i know Brandi can do it though!
Old 05-14-2011, 03:43 PM   #4
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle.Gilmour View Post
I was going to post this in your thread Robert... dang beat me to it.

200 is gonna be tough... i know Brandi can do it though!
We got tricks,,, Brandi will be ready... and so will I... We may be at or over 1000 HP at the rear wheels for this one...

Corey and I have a plan in place already... and I am going for a 200+ mph shirt... and certificate... Then we'll back her down for street drivability...

I won't be home for this one and I still have lots to do to get ready...

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

Old 05-14-2011, 05:47 PM   #5
Drigar
SYSADM

Nice, 200+ is gonna be a beast of a speed to get to, but has been proven to be doable with the 5th gen. I'll be doing this one, and I'll also be running in October as well. I'll be doing pics, video, etc... as usual, so everything will be pretty well documented. It'll be a treat to see see you and Brandi give it a go. With Corey in your corner, you've got a very good shot at it You'll have to watch the new licensing requirements though, progress up, and get that "A" card

Old 05-14-2011, 06:28 PM   #6
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Yeah, I've been reading up on that...

It appears as long as you play by the rules you can progress pretty rapidly so... I'll pay attention and listen closely to those who have been there before me... I need to try and find a current runner in the competition as a mentor to the ins and outs... rather than showing up blind and clueless....

Old 05-14-2011, 08:56 PM   #7
Happy Pappy
Sam & Marsha

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS Black
We were also talking about doing this in October. I'm not as ambitous as Robert but would certainly like to get to the 180 MPH level. We need to get together and discuss this some when Robert gets back. Also need to keep an eye on when the October session opens for sign up.
Happy Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:17 AM   #8
Drigar
SYSADM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Yeah, I've been reading up on that...

It appears as long as you play by the rules you can progress pretty rapidly so... I'll pay attention and listen closely to those who have been there before me... I need to try and find a current runner in the competition as a mentor to the ins and outs... rather than showing up blind and clueless....
As you've probably read on their site, it's not a difficult process, but if you intend on going from "never ran" to "200+" it will be a 3 step process. Each step should be easily attainable, your car can certainly do it, there is no doubt there, but their intent was to be sure YOU can do it, without hurting yourself or anyone else. I'd think of it this way, you arrive on Thursday, set up camp, double check the car for tech. Friday morning you go to the drivers meeting, the drive through, then tech, then get in line to make a couple runs between 130 - 140, test runs if you will. Then you apply for the next license (still not sure how that will work), and do your 160 - 180 runs either Friday or Saturday, prolly 2 or three runs in that range. Apply for the next license, and shoot for your 200+ Saturday afternoon or Sunday.

From my experiences so far at The Mile, Friday and Sunday is the days to run. Saturday is pretty much mayhem and you'll spend a lot of time in long lines waiting to run. Friday is pretty busy, but you could get 5 or so runs in with cool downs between runs, Sunday is pretty much wide open running, anytime after 12 you'll be able to hot lap if you want, there are usually less than 30 people in line at any given time after 12pm.

When I ran for the first time last October, I used Friday as a test day for me, getting used to going faster and faster. My first run was only a 126, but after that run I knew what to expect for the next run, the next run was faster, and through Saturday I progressed up in speed with each run, Sunday i made my fastest pass early in the morning, then a slower speed for my final run.

I guess where I'm going with all this is, yes it's exciting, yes it's a great feeling to be able to do something like this. But, for the sake of your safety, take your time and get used to the speeds that you're planning on running gradually, don't try to do it all at once or even in a very short order, the Texas Mile will be around for a very long time, and I'd like for all of you to be around for that long as well. There are a lot of variables that come into play, cross-winds, track conditions, car problems on the track, etc.... I value the friendships and acquaintances I've forged here, lets be safe out there

"Fast is fun, Fast can be deadly"

Last edited by Drigar; 05-15-2011 at 12:28 AM.
Drigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 03:13 AM   #9
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Awesome, I would like to meet up in San Antonio after. I get home and discuss this some more in person...I'll buy you dinner if you like... Sam, you're welcome to come along..
And I know it's probably a little different in this setting, but I have been over 170 in my Camaro....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drigar View Post
As you've probably read on their site, it's not a difficult process, but if you intend on going from "never ran" to "200+" it will be a 3 step process. Each step should be easily attainable, your car can certainly do it, there is no doubt there, but their intent was to be sure YOU can do it, without hurting yourself or anyone else. I'd think of it this way, you arrive on Thursday, set up camp, double check the car for tech. Friday morning you go to the drivers meeting, the drive through, then tech, then get in line to make a couple runs between 130 - 140, test runs if you will. Then you apply for the next license (still not sure how that will work), and do your 160 - 180 runs either Friday or Saturday, prolly 2 or three runs in that range. Apply for the next license, and shoot for your 200+ Saturday afternoon or Sunday.

From my experiences so far at The Mile, Friday and Sunday is the days to run. Saturday is pretty much mayhem and you'll spend a lot of time in long lines waiting to run. Friday is pretty busy, but you could get 5 or so runs in with cool downs between runs, Sunday is pretty much wide open running, anytime after 12 you'll be able to hot lap if you want, there are usually less than 30 people in line at any given time after 12pm.

When I ran for the first time last October, I used Friday as a test day for me, getting used to going faster and faster. My first run was only a 126, but after that run I knew what to expect for the next run, the next run was faster, and through Saturday I progressed up in speed with each run, Sunday i made my fastest pass early in the morning, then a slower speed for my final run.

I guess where I'm going with all this is, yes it's exciting, yes it's a great feeling to be able to do something like this. But, for the sake of your safety, take your time and get used to the speeds that you're planning on running gradually, don't try to do it all at once or even in a very short order, the Texas Mile will be around for a very long time, and I'd like for all of you to be around for that long as well. There are a lot of variables that come into play, cross-winds, track conditions, car problems on the track, etc.... I value the friendships and acquaintances I've forged here, lets be safe out there

"Fast is fun, Fast can be deadly"

Old 05-15-2011, 09:53 AM   #10
Drigar
SYSADM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Awesome, I would like to meet up in San Antonio after. I get home and discuss this some more in person...I'll buy you dinner if you like... Sam, you're welcome to come along..
And I know it's probably a little different in this setting, but I have been over 170 in my Camaro....
Even better, stop by the Corvette group at Biffs on any given Friday, and talk to all of our guys that have done the mile multiple times. We have 7 in total, Including Bab Hall, he was the very first person to do the testing for the first Texas Mile, two others are currently running in the 190's, another has run 190, one that is running 170's, and me in my slow Camaro This way you can get multiple perspectives on any subject.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:55 AM   #11
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Sounds like a plan... and I don't think your Camaro is slow by any means...

Old 05-30-2011, 03:00 PM   #12
Drigar
SYSADM

I had a good weekend, not as fast as I wanted to be, but it was faster than the last time I ran. The wind was a real killer, and relentless, add to that the daily temps were way over what was forecast for the weekend, and getting used to the new venue surface took some getting used to, those made for slower times overall. The dinner and party on Saturday night put on by the city of Beeville was very impressive, the food was killer, the music was good, and just what the doctor ordered after enduring the heat and wind up to that point. I'll post up links to pics and video as I get them finished, waiting for one of my videos to finish rendering now, maybe another hour or so until it's available on YouTube, the pics and some video are already up on my Picasa site.

https://picasaweb.google.com/belange...y2011Beeville#

First video series from the start line is done:

Second video series from the start line is finished:

Last edited by Drigar; 05-30-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Drigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:20 AM   #13
kbui

Drives: 85 Vette, 07 Escalade ESV, 03 GMC,
Nice videos Drigar! For a long weekend event, are there hotels near by or do guys camped out there and work on their cars thru the nights?

ADM Performance installed and tuned: Maggie, Stainless Works Power LTs, ADM race cai, ADM ZL1 scoop
Whiteside Customs Super Street 2 Package w/ coilovers
BC Racing Coilovers and lowered, Whiteline Bushings & Swaybars
MBRP catback exhaust, ZL1 bumper conversion, Drake billet shifter, Hurst paddles, NLP rear spoiler, OEM GFX, Vis Racing hood, ASA GT5 wheels
kbui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:39 AM   #14
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Cool videos. But may I make a suggestion?

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote