Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 02-23-2013, 11:39 AM   #113
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
I'm kinda curious why someone would be willing to spend the money on performance parts, but not be willing to find out what care was necessary to maintain them?

Would you also blame GM because they didn't tell you that you should't rub steel wool on your paint? I'm guessing that you'd be the same kind of person that wouldn't change your oil unless the car told you to ( thankfully for you, it does... ). If you snapped a bolt off in a head because you over-tightened it, would you blame the bolt because it didn't tell you what it should be torqued to? How about we just man up, assume some responsibility for our own actions ( or lack of knowledge ), and stop attacking a reputable manufacture for our own mistakes.

Forgestar, if you're listening, as a responsible automotive enthusiasts ( who also makes mistakes), I thank you for developing and providing our community with a quality product, that when properly maintained will look and perform just as well as the day you made them! ...and don't worry about including a mattress-tag on your wheels. The majority of us don't need it.

You sound like you work for forgestar!

You better believe if I drove my car through a touch less wash (which I do from time to time) I'd be pissed if my wheels began to fail. Not everyone has the ability or even the time to wash their car like some do. I have a driveway and Adam's car care products but because of work I usually don't have time to wash my car. And when I do I'd rather spend that time with my fiancé or catching up on errands. using a touch less wash is an option for me as well as a lot of people out there, but I limit myself I only use it about 1 in 10 washes.

Op how have your rims turned out? I've used back to black on my last car's black exterior plastic bits but it would come off easily with water (rain). On my ss I use Adam's VRT and that stuff works nicely on my vinyl, plastidip, tires and roof antenna with no running in the rain. If you want a slightly more permant (less permanent than paint but more permanent than vrt or back to black ) then I would suggest plastidip. I've seen plastidipped black wheels and they are brilliant. It's removable and easily repairable. I have my rear trunk panel blackout done in plastidip and it's never given me trouble
scythezo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:39 PM   #114
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
Seriously? Don't run your car through a car wash? Forgestar should have done some research on coatings. Unless you used some extreme chemicals on your wheels, then the fading should not have happened. Ran my work beaters through all kinds of car washes with factory and after market wheels and used wheel cleaners. Never an issue. Seems Forgestars has issues with colors, coatings and delays. I'm in the market for some 18's. Been researching.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:21 PM   #115
VanquisherSS
Hasbin of Stock Bottom HP

Drives: CTS-V Coupe, 04 TT Viper
Glad I never picked up a set of Forgestar Rims. Straight Garbage. OP Good Luck getting the rims back in shape, you might just want to save for a good powdercoating job not the garbage job that apparently comes on these rims. I've run my wheels through a car wash here and there and I use Wheel Cleaners as well to get the brake dust off and my matte finish still looks good.

Really I think maybe Forgestar isn't 100% responsible here but they could have at least offered to help the guy out instead of telling him to pound sand and read a link on their website.
VanquisherSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:46 PM   #116
njmike

Drives: Inferno orange Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorRyanSS View Post
Car wash? Thats your first problem. Those look really bad, like the finish was eaten off. I would first talk to Forgestar... you have a 1 year finish warranty. It looks like some chemical ate it away so they probably won't cover it. Just plastidip them and stay away from car washes.
I concur!!!!
Old 02-24-2013, 07:03 AM   #117
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andys562 View Post
That's what I'm saying. You would think that paying for nearly $2,000 wheels, there'd be some type of warning or care instructions.
And for something as normal as a car wash to damage expensive wheels is just not right to me.
It should never be a thing "you were supposed to know." In my case, these were the first matte black wheels I've ever purchsed (the first matte black product, period.)
Screw Forgestar.
Most likely Forgestar never took the time to do any testing on their mate finish wheels .
But on the other hand , you at some point have to understand that Forgestar will never admit that , and you will have to move on
If Forgestar ever says that ,,,send the wheels in and we will fix it for you ,,,this will open a precedent and they would be in the hock for big shit money ( you are not the only one ) , so , do what you have to do and move on ,,,sometimes life is like that ,,,
Oh , and make sure to let everyone that ask about the said wheels , how they dealt with you ,,, this alone and over time can work miracles .
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:34 AM   #118
Easton091

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I just received my matte black rims last thursday. In the box it has instructions from forgestar on cleaning rims with mild soap and water only.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-24-2013, 09:56 AM   #119
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easton091 View Post
I just received my matte black rims last thursday. In the box it has instructions from forgestar on cleaning rims with mild soap and water only.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2
There you have it , for someone with law school tuition still to pay , this may be the smoking gun

Quote:
I'm kinda curious why someone would be willing to spend the money on performance parts, but not be willing to find out what care was necessary to maintain them?

Would you also blame GM because they didn't tell you that you should't rub steel wool on your paint? I'm guessing that you'd be the same kind of person that wouldn't change your oil unless the car told you to ( thankfully for you, it does... ). If you snapped a bolt off in a head because you over-tightened it, would you blame the bolt because it didn't tell you what it should be torqued to? How about we just man up, assume some responsibility for our own actions ( or lack of knowledge ), and stop attacking a reputable manufacture for our own mistakes.

Forgestar, if you're listening, as a responsible automotive enthusiasts ( who also makes mistakes), I thank you for developing and providing our community with a quality product, that when properly maintained will look and perform just as well as the day you made them! ...and don't worry about including a mattress-tag on your wheels. The majority of us don't need it.

For the above member , think a little more , about why they have this instructions include in the PKGs now .
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #120
caper

Drives: 2010 IOM 2ss/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfriend View Post
Most likely Forgestar never took the time to do any testing on their mate finish wheels .
But on the other hand , you at some point have to understand that Forgestar will never admit that , and you will have to move on
If Forgestar ever says that ,,,send the wheels in and we will fix it for you ,,,this will open a precedent and they would be in the hock for big shit money ( you are not the only one ) , so , do what you have to do and move on ,,,sometimes life is like that ,,,
Oh , and make sure to let everyone that ask about the said wheels , how they dealt with you ,,, this alone and over time can work miracles .
and THIS is why people shouldnt deal with this company..not because the wheels faded...that is bad enough right there. but the fact that they dont stand behind their product. precedent or not - ITS THE RIGHT THING TO DO. they choose the opposite of that. i am just glad i didnt buy from a company like that (that i know of, i never had an issue with my wheels).
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:44 AM   #121
Larz29

Drives: 2010 camaro ss LS3 cyber grey
Quote:
Rubbing steel wool on paint is so irrelevant to this whole conversation. "Would you run your car into a light post if no one stopped you?" Come on, man.
Changing the oil is also another irrelevant example; it's essential to the maintenance of the car.
Simply taking a car to something as normal as a car wash is a different thing altogether. THERE'S A CAR WASH ON EVERY CORNER WHERE I'M FROM. And I'm from Los Angeles. Performance cars with performance wheels EVERYWHERE. You're telling me none of these owners take their cars to the CAR WASH?

People pay hard earned money to buy these parts for their car. For something as simple and for something as typical as a car wash to ruin your wheels? NOT acceptable. So yes, we'd like a "mattress-tag" if that's what's going to let us know what we can and can not do wit these wheels.

No kidding honestly most everyone who owns a car knows that steel wool is taboo. Just like most everyone knows that they need to get their oil changed every so many miles. Most people don't think twice about taking their car through a car wash, and honestly Forgestar brags about their wheels being tripple powder coated and so great then why can't they stand up to normal car washes? I never used any harsh chemicals on my wheels either. If the chemicals at a car wash are so harsh, than why isn't everyone complaining who takes their car through the wash? It just doesn't make any sense.

I really wish I didn't jump on the "Forgestar is so great for the money" bandwagon. Oh well live and learn. If they we're a reputable company they would offer to replace our wheels. (most reputable companies would). It's ok the more people who are thinking about buying wheels and read these type of posts will probably think twice.
Larz29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:50 PM   #122
JHall651

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS LS3 Ashen Grey
I have Forgestar F14 in Matte Black and I would just like to add that you are a kocky d-bag who isn't fooling anyone. Matte Black powder coated rim care is not common sense. I would have made the same mistake as OP if he did not start this thread. To bad we can't all be as naturally smart as you.

Quote:

2012 2SS/RS, Magna TVS2300, RX Catch Can, Borla S-Type, Pfadt Stage 4 w/ ZL Spec Sway Bars, ADM Custom Boost/AFR Gauges, Hurst Short Throw, Forgestar F14 Matte Black 20x11 & 20x9.5 Deep Concave all 4, Nitto Invo 315/35 & 275/40, Heritage Grill, Sparks Black Grill SS & Trunk SS, P13W Fog Lights (cool white) w/ DRL Harness, Blacked Out Brake light bezels, Xpel Smoke Light Kit
JHall651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:38 PM   #123
BloodRain
Account Suspended

Drives: 1LE
Some people need to take responsibility for their own actions. If you ruinied your wheels with your wash process you are at fault. Cant fault the company for not wanting to give people who cant take care of their rims in the first place a new set of rims. Real car guys would chalk this one up to experience and be extra careful around a finish like that in the future. Not go ask for free handouts to cover your mistakes. It would be like me going to GM and asking them to replace my brake calipers because the PAINT FADED from harsh wheel cleaning chemicals. It was my mistake, and if I really cared that much I would spend 20 bucks on some spray and do the job myself.
Its not about being arrogant or anything. Do some research on stuff you purchase. Would you drink your car wash soap because it smelled like bubblegum? No, because we figured out that soaps, no matter the smell, are not good for ingestion. When you purchace a expensive aftermarket product such as that I would think that, like delicate clothing, special precautions would need to be made. We have enough warning labels on everything as it is.
BloodRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:16 AM   #124
Stitch

Drives: SS, CTS & SRT-4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodRain View Post
Some people need to take responsibility for their own actions. If you ruinied your wheels with your wash process you are at fault. Cant fault the company for not wanting to give people who cant take care of their rims in the first place a new set of rims. Real car guys would chalk this one up to experience and be extra careful around a finish like that in the future. Not go ask for free handouts to cover your mistakes. It would be like me going to GM and asking them to replace my brake calipers because the PAINT FADED from harsh wheel cleaning chemicals. It was my mistake, and if I really cared that much I would spend 20 bucks on some spray and do the job myself.
Its not about being arrogant or anything. Do some research on stuff you purchase. Would you drink your car wash soap because it smelled like bubblegum? No, because we figured out that soaps, no matter the smell, are not good for ingestion. When you purchace a expensive aftermarket product such as that I would think that, like delicate clothing, special precautions would need to be made. We have enough warning labels on everything as it is.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:57 AM   #125
caper

Drives: 2010 IOM 2ss/RS
Quote:
you are using very common sense things to try to draw an analogy - they dont fit...but if you want to go down that route....it also makes commmon sense that you would at some point take your car through a CAR wash, especially when there asno warning with the wheels not too. like a piece of delicate clothing ould have on as you mentioned...hell the soap probably has a warning on it not to ingest as well....
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:41 AM   #126
VanquisherSS
Hasbin of Stock Bottom HP

Drives: CTS-V Coupe, 04 TT Viper
Quote:
I don't really think the OP ruined his wheels. The wheels just were obviously poorly powdercoated if they faded from going through a car wash. Sometimes the saying is you get what you pay for because my 360 Forged Wheels don't fade and I've been through a few car washes. Why? Because I simply don't have the time to wash the car myself all the time. To expect to buy a $2000 dollar set of wheels and then have the manufacturer tell you. "Don't drive on them and don't ever wash them except yourself on a sunny day with the right stuff" is pretty ridiculous. I never got such a warning of fragility with my rims.

Also agree I take my daily drive to the car wash and I don't notice anything fading. What if the OP drives his car year round and uses all-seasons? What if these are his only rims. He's supposed to go out in potentially 0-20 Degree days and wash his own rims then drive through a car wash with bags over the wheels LOL?? Come on. I'd think twice before dealing with forgestar, mainly because instead of offering to at least HELP the guy out not saying completely replace because then everyone with a small problem would expect it. But just telling him to piss off and read a link on a website like they did was just unreal. Thats horrible customer service.
VanquisherSS is offline   Reply With Quote