Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-31-2013, 12:07 PM   #71
flyinlow

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
I never use wheel cleaners, I have a sponge dedicated to cleaning wheels and do them last when washing the cars. I also put the same polish on the wheels as the car (if the wheels are painted) or use other products if they are polished or chrome.
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:01 PM   #72
Casperadub70

Drives: 2014 1LE Camaro, 95 Z28 Camaro
I found a pic of caustic on car paint.
2014 1LE 2SS Camaro Recaro seats, Custom Cam, Kooks LT headers, CAI intake, Z/28 Spoiler, Z/28 Belly Pan, Z/28 Brake Air Ducts, Stainless Steel breaklines, BMR Toe Rods and Trailing Arms resulting in 482.49 RWHP
Casperadub70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:07 PM   #73
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinlow View Post
I never use wheel cleaners, I have a sponge dedicated to cleaning wheels and do them last when washing the cars. I also put the same polish on the wheels as the car (if the wheels are painted) or use other products if they are polished or chrome.
absolutley - when new get them sealed with a polymer sealant, then just soap and water will do, some IronX every quarter to wash off the metallic brake dust...no need for wheel cleaners
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:31 PM   #74
atma
disco kryptonite

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
ugh, this definitely sounds reasonable. I had a few issues with the paint on my side skirts with some staining. actually looked like the paint was rapidly changing color. took it to the service dept and the guy used some cleaner wax and it took it right off. I guess the cleaners I was using weren't abrasive enough or didn't cut deep enough? at any rate, I certainly know how h\you feel and I keep checking this thread hoping for a good outcome. I've seen how beautifully you keep up your 4th gen so I know how much this means. good luck and keep us posted.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #75
DARK AGE 53

Drives: 2010 SS
This video was posted in another thread http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...sU&nomobile=1m , starting at about the 16 minute mark you can see that the front and rear bumper covers are not painted with the car body.

With the same problem showing up on one of the bumper covers would indicate the problem didn't happen in the paint shop. It's also hard to believe the problem wasn't caught during paint inspection, I think even Stevie Wonder would have caught it.

All of this tells me it's not under the clear coat, we'll have to wait and see but would at least try to polish out one of the spots to see what happens.....by polish I mean something like Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. JMO
Old 09-01-2013, 07:30 PM   #76
crsr1

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARK AGE 53 View Post
This video was posted in another thread http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...sU&nomobile=1m , starting at about the 16 minute mark you can see that the front and rear bumper covers are not painted with the car body.

With the same problem showing up on one of the bumper covers would indicate the problem didn't happen in the paint shop. It's also hard to believe the problem wasn't caught during paint inspection, I think even Stevie Wonder would have caught it.

All of this tells me it's not under the clear coat, we'll have to wait and see but would at least try to polish out one of the spots to see what happens.....by polish I mean something like Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. JMO

Don't touch it, let GM make a decision first! If you mess with it, you may ruin any chance you have. Let them deal with it. Regardless when it happened, it was like that when you received it. Don't matter where the mirrors, front end, etc. was painted, let GM make the call.
2013 Silverado Z71
crsr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:18 PM   #77
DARK AGE 53

Drives: 2010 SS
^^^^ there's no way I wouldn't at least try to remove just one of the blemishes, it's not going to ruin him getting it corrected by the dealer. Waiting for the G.M to give a decision only will allow the problem to sit longer on the paint.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #78
crsr1

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARK AGE 53 View Post
^^^^ there's no way I wouldn't at least try to remove just one of the blemishes, it's not going to ruin him getting it corrected by the dealer. Waiting for the G.M to give a decision only will allow the problem to sit longer on the paint.
I'd be tempted, and was when I had issues. It can sit on the paint as long as it needs....its not getting any worse.
2013 Silverado Z71
crsr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:42 AM   #79
Wondering

Drives: Z06,GS Vert,Ford GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casperadub70 View Post
Really? Did it ever come off? Did you get a new car because of it?

No,it didn't come off. This was the fault of a company that refurbishes big rigs,not any dealer or GM. I had to get a lawyer & prove their actions caused the damage. Which turned out not to be very hard as they used the cleaner on a daily basis outside regardless of wind conditions. They ended up having to have my whole car repainted at the place of my choosing.

Why would they use a product like this on the wheels if it it could mess up the paint?

They only used it before painting a truck when it didn't matter if some got on painted surfaces.

The product is called "Aluminator",which is very good at cleaning aluminum parts on rigs such as gas tanks and wheels but is very caustic and bad on paint.
Responses in red.
Wondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:04 AM   #80
Casperadub70

Sorry guys ive been in Cali for the past few days. I'm back not and the camaro goes to the dealership tomorrow to get seen. I should know what happens with it tomorrow.
2014 1LE 2SS Camaro Recaro seats, Custom Cam, Kooks LT headers, CAI intake, Z/28 Spoiler, Z/28 Belly Pan, Z/28 Brake Air Ducts, Stainless Steel breaklines, BMR Toe Rods and Trailing Arms resulting in 482.49 RWHP
Old 09-10-2013, 02:15 AM   #81
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casperadub70 View Post
Ive never heard the expression " anything a squirrel can do to a stump" but i get what you are saying

Update (kind of)
The GM Rep here sent photos to the camaro plant. I should get more info Tue or Wed.
Maybe it's a southern thing. How us hicks make an attempt at learning grammar.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #82
Casperadub70

Well i just got back from the dealership. Let me start off by saying this is my 5th brand new car from chevy. Ive never had a issue like this or ever felt so belittled by a dealership. I have always had great experiences with them.

I got to talk to the District Manager of Aftersales. He told me that he doesnt believe it to be a paint defect. So because of that he doesnt have to do anything for me and im basically f-ed. Then he said that he will be nice and repaint just the back bumper.

Well since the spots are all over the car, i asked to either get a new car or for them to repaint the whole car. He then told me that its not a good idea to repaint the whole car.
Finally he said they will repaint the parts with the spots ( once again out of the kindness of his heart), then got mad at me when i showed him spots on pretty much every body panel except the front bumper and roof. He didnt like that and went back to painting the back bumper.

I really feel like they dont give a shit about me. Almost as now since they have sold the car to me its not there problem. (before you ask yes this was brought to there attention the day after i bought it). After talking to him i asked for his bosses number and i he said i quote " Ill give it to you but he wont do anything for you ".

This experience has really changed my mind on chevy and sadly enough i dont look at my camaro the same way. I just really feel with how excited i was, how long i saved and waited for it, driving up to NY to see it revealed, and paying $46,000 i deserve better.

Thanks for letting me rant.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:50 PM   #83
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Are the spots under the clear coat or not?
Old 09-10-2013, 05:16 PM   #84
Casperadub70

Dealership says yes they are.
Ive used a clay bar, wax and polish can cant get anything off.
On the same note they are on the body and the back bumper. Bumpers and body arent painted in the same area.
So to be honest i dont know.