Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 03-26-2012, 12:06 PM   #1
Pain505

Drives: 2012 Chevy Camaro 1LS
XDM- 9MM Holster In Car. Your Thoughts.

Im thinking of drilling the paddle holster into this trim piece in my '12 camaro. What says you?

Old 03-26-2012, 12:13 PM   #2
LS3AlexSS

Drives: 2011 Black Camaro SS
I just wedge it between the drivers seat and middle "console" if you will. Works well and no drilling. I'm sure over time it may scratch up that plastic but my life is more important to me than the plastic looking perfect.
LS3AlexSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
Pain505

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3AlexSS View Post
I just wedge it between the drivers seat and middle "console" if you will. Works well and no drilling. I'm sure over time it may scratch up that plastic but my life is more important to me than the plastic looking perfect.
True. One thing i didnt think bout. If passenger adjust the seat or whatnot

How aboit here with velcro?

Old 03-26-2012, 01:21 PM   #4
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Sold - Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
great place for it
Old 03-26-2012, 02:54 PM   #5
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Something to keep in mind, you do NOT want a holster visible in the car what so ever.

If an officer comes up to you and they see a gun or holster visible, you will set them immediately uneasy and if it's a new guy they very well may become trigger happy.

If someone approaches you in your car to rob you, if they see it they will protect themselves first and not give you time to react.

Also if someone is walking though the parking lot looking for a car to break into, if they spot a holster guess what they first though is going to be in there mind? That you also have a gun hidden somewhere in your car. You might as well leave a handful of $100 bills on the front seat with a sign that says rob me.

I too carry an XD 9 in my car. I keep my holster underneath the steering wheel. If you look under there you will see the area where it will snap onto. It's completely concealed whether you're sitting there or not and it puts the gun inches away from the ignition switch in case anyone ever asks you to turn the car off without arousing any suspicion.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #6
G-Oil Guy
Where am I?

Drives: Zoe the ZL1, 2012 Frontier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Something to keep in mind, you do NOT want a holster visible in the car what so ever.

If an officer comes up to you and they see a gun or holster visible, you will set them immediately uneasy and if it's a new guy they very well may become trigger happy.

If someone approaches you in your car to rob you, if they see it they will protect themselves first and not give you time to react.

Also if someone is walking though the parking lot looking for a car to break into, if they spot a holster guess what they first though is going to be in there mind? That you also have a gun hidden somewhere in your car. You might as well leave a handful of $100 bills on the front seat with a sign that says rob me.

I too carry an XD 9 in my car. I keep my holster underneath the steering wheel. If you look under there you will see the area where it will snap onto. It's completely concealed whether you're sitting there or not and it puts the gun inches away from the ignition switch in case anyone ever asks you to turn the car off without arousing any suspicion.
This.

I was going to say having any firearm visible in a vehicle, regardless of state or concealed carry license status, is an instant "OH SHIT" to a police officer.

Hell, when I was transporting my XDM 40 cal to / from shooting ranges, I was so scared of getting a Grade A Ball Breaking pull over event that I would always lock the firearm in a case and then lock it in the trunk.

But I admire your ingenuity with placing it there.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:54 PM   #7
skipinminn
Chiquita

Drives: 2013 1LE/1SS YELLO1LE 1 of Only 28
KEEP mine In a shoulder Holster No need for one in the car
skipinminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:57 PM   #8
Clustergear

Drives: 68 Camaro, 2011 Conv.
KEEP IT IN YOUR PANTS not in the car. When the S--- hits the fan and you jump out of the car...... Whoops forgot something. There are many reasons you should not leave that little piece of metal out of your control !!! I have seen a lot of bad things happen with guns that were supposedly hidden in cars & trucks.
Clustergear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:51 PM   #9
metal44

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS-RS
I would not mount it where visible. I keep my current handgun holstered on my belt around my waist. Rifle in the trunk. I want to get a PX4 subcompact, probably put it in the glove compartment. (I do not always have weapons on me or in the vehicle.)
metal44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:51 PM   #10
HookemHorns

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 Red Hot Convertible
I was thinking about making a mount to the inside portion of the roof for my XDM 40..with black interior and tinted windows, it should be hard to notice since most folks don't look upward...thoughts?
HookemHorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:46 AM   #11
Pain505

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookemHorns View Post
I was thinking about making a mount to the inside portion of the roof for my XDM 40..with black interior and tinted windows, it should be hard to notice since most folks don't look upward...thoughts?
Yes thats what i am thinking. If i place the mount on the driver side of the center console trim. It would be a Bit difficult to see. I have 10% tint and also the steering wheel column can provide some cover no? On the roof though i guess depends where you put it. Cuz also some people do crouch down when looking inside cars so they may glance up and see it. Also make sure its somewhere that you dont bump into it with your head.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:49 AM   #12
Pain505

Ok so lastnight after work i went to radioshack and purchased some velcro straps that are stronger than velcro. The glue stuck perfectly to the holster. However it did not stick to my console. I even went out and purchased some epoxy for plastic and no luck either. With the holster though, i did use my dremel and cut the paddle off the holster the gun came with. What i will try next is, purchase a left handed holster, that way the paddle is on the right side, and using hardware i will drill it into the side trim of my center console. As i said before. There is websites that makes aftermarket parts for my camaro so if i ever want to remove it and dont want the holes left behind i can just purchase the trim, such as rpidesigns. So for now this will be put on hold until i can find a somewhat inexpensive left handed holster that does not have thumb lock or somethin like that. If you kno of any plz post the link to it and i will check it out. Also. Rpidesigns has the side trims but they come painted. Kno where i can get any that are just plain like the one the ls comes with.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:19 PM   #13
Pain505

Finished installing the holster in ny car. What says you

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-17-2012, 07:32 PM   #14
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
What does it look like outside the car?

The issue I would have is that it appears to be too visible from outside the car when you're not in the car and visible from the passenger side as well. Like I said above, if someone can see your holster when you're not in the car you are more likely to be broke into as they may think you have the gun hidden in the car and a gun that can't be traced back to them is very valuable to someone looking to commit a crime.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote