Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 04-22-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
crashprime

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS IOM M6
help with mounting amps with 2x12

So when installing a 2x12" box, the stock amp mounting location gets obstructed. For those running 2+ amps, where are you mounting your amps?

I am considering possibly mounting to the back of my box, offering me access to them by pulling down the rear seat... but I've read that the vibrations on a box will not be good long term for the solder in amps.

I'm just looking for a clean/easy way to mount my amplifiers, while still having access to tuning them. I've decided upon some amps with built in DSP, so I will need to be able to get to them.

Pictures would be appreciated!
crashprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:59 PM   #2
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
As you are using a box up against the seat, then the only real place left would be the left and right of the trunk area.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:13 PM   #3
the barber

Drives: 13' Sw 2ss Ls3
If its a non angled box meaning the back doesnt follow the back of the seat evenly u may b able to mount them to the back of the seat
the barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:43 PM   #4
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
I'd think lack of airflow...mounted to the back of the box or the seat could be an issue. But this isn't my area of expertise.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:13 PM   #5
crashprime

The idea of mounting to the back of the box and gaining access from the backseat came from a few pictures I saw while combing the internet for ideas (of which there isn't a lot).

http://www.amazon.com/Zenclosures-20.../dp/B00B88IGO0 Take a look at the customer picture of this Zenclosure.

Also there's these few images from ********s page advertising their 2x12 enclosure.

[IMG]http://********.com/images/amp5.JPG[/IMG]
[IMG]http://********.com/images/tec2.jpg[/IMG]

I too had my concerns, but I wanted to see if anyone had better/more creative ways of getting amps in.

I will be putting these exact amps in, however this install it seems was done with 10" (maybe 8"?) leaving a lot of room for mounting.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:18 AM   #6
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
Also if you use a box like the post above, u can put it in the back seat back part.. as for the air flow I dont think that's a problem.. if u are gonna run them for hours at time, just fold the back seat forward..
Old 04-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #7
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
I've mounted amps onto the sub boxes w/o issues, even for SPL competitions. just depends on quality of amp(s). besides, low frequency bass waves are non-directional and willl reflect/bounce off of everything in the car, literally shaking, tearing it apart..and I don't think you're at that level yet.
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:59 AM   #8
crashprime

Yea, I am not anywhere near that. 700-800w on x2 12" isn't going to blow any doors open lol.

Thanks for the tip SLVRBULIT. Makes me feel a lot better about my choice to just mount to the back to gain access from the rear seat.

On the same topic, looking at various prefab/stealth boxes ... I see 5/8th MDF being used along with 3/4th MDF.

Is there a significant difference in quality/performance between 5/8th and 3/4th MDF?