Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-26-2010, 10:25 AM   #71
Lydon

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Angry Drastic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFreako View Post
I HATE THOSE FREAKING HEADERS!!!

they done nothing but bring pain to me, This CEL wont go away, I changed gasket, reprogram the O2 sensors, checked the headers, and the CEL still won't go....now the car is just a pain, I should have stayed stock!!

and i am starting to give up on it, if there any real solution other than a tune.

I just feel like crashing my car into JBA company!
WOW - that's a bit drastic, don't you think?
Old 08-26-2010, 10:40 AM   #72
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
If he has a leak, which is possible, a tune won't fix it.

If, like speedy, he has the coated, maybe there is an issue with ground?

Instead of buying DT shorty headers, he could always cut off the stacker flanges, and weld the JBAs straight to the midpipes ala DT. See if that fixes the issue. Which, is what I would do, before buying anything else.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:28 PM   #73
Abygale

Drives: .
Not all shorties are causing CELs. The Doug Thorley don't. The people saying that headers automatically void your warranty don't know what they are talking about. My dealership installed mine.

I haven't tuned my car yet, and won't until I do forced induction, that to me is worth losing the warranty over, not simple mods like exhausts and headers.
Abygale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:23 PM   #74
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abygale View Post
Not all shorties are causing CELs. The Doug Thorley don't. The people saying that headers automatically void your warranty don't know what they are talking about. My dealership installed mine.

I haven't tuned my car yet, and won't until I do forced induction, that to me is worth losing the warranty over, not simple mods like exhausts and headers.
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:41 PM   #75
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: 4 banger Diesel
TUNE that Baby!

Never Hate your camaro! or else

Joke
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:10 PM   #76
lewylew

Drives: 2010 ZL550& 2021 C8 Z51
Get a tune or just change your headers. I have dynatech and never through a code before or after tune. I still got a tune anyway. I don't know if they have them for the v6. (Not a v6 hater.)
lewylew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:46 AM   #77
WHIPPLECHARGED

Drives: 2011 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by usa1camaro1969 View Post
And the fixes for your v8's don't all work for the v6. We even got a 'mo with a mustank trying to "help" be a smartass. There's a few that are addressing the issue, then a bunch that are smartasses.
These are what I plan on using to get it right:
http://www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/mini-cat-cel-fix.html
Good luck.

That is a interesting set-up,with material from a converter inside it. I wouldn't pay $50 each for them though. Not so sure they will fix the CEL on this LLT 3.6L. The only problem is it claims to get rid of P0420 and P0430 codes for cat efficiency. The 2 Non foulers I installed got rid of those codes as well. Now I'm dealing with a P2097 bank1 sensor 2 rich code (this is the same code that the JBA shorties are getting) From some of the JBA post I read it seems like some of them fix this code by sealing the flange and some have tryed to seal it with no luck. My BBK headers and high flow cats have a similar flange as the JBA's, so I'm wondering if this is an exhaust leak issue and has nothing to do with the high flow converters. The JBA's use OEM converters and are getting this code.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:07 AM   #78
Mankind
Whats a Millwright?

Drives: 2LT/RS SIM, 05 Wht Denali
On the subject, I had seriously considered the solution Mrray suggested in his previous post during my header CEL issues. I managed my leak with a pair of gaskets. If the gaskets are not solving your problems and you dont wish to tune it then just go get them Welded and dont worry about the clamp. You are not moving the oxygen sensors when you use JBA or DT's so the only reason you should get a code is due to a leak somewhere. Mine may still get welded as time goes on but i have 15K miles on the gaskets and still no CEL.

Last edited by Mankind; 08-30-2010 at 06:17 AM.
Mankind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:42 AM   #79
Matster

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM/IOM #3625
To the original OP, I feel for you, had the same problem with my LS3 when I had L/T headers, 3" exhaust and high flow cats installed. My CEL did not show up right away, but I was expecting it. Long story short, installed a tune from Jennetty Racing, best thing I ever did.

416 Forged Stroker, E-Force Supercharger, Blower Cam, Rotofab CAI, Stainless Works 2" LT Headers and 3" Exhaust, LPE ZR1 Twin Disc Clutch, DSS 1400 HP Axles, Pfadt Performance Kit Stage 3.
Matster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:05 AM   #80
mike.nite

Drives: 2011 2SS L99, 2010 LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mankind View Post
I managed my leak with a pair of gaskets. If the gaskets are not solving your problems and you dont wish to tune it then just go get them Welded and dont worry about the clamp. You are not moving the oxygen sensors when you use JBA or DT's so the only reason you should get a code is due to a leak somewhere. Mine may still get welded as time goes on but i have 15K miles on the gaskets and still no CEL.

Which gaskets did you use. I'll install my BBK LTs next week and would like to use the best gaskets to prevent a possible leak.
mike.nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:25 AM   #81
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUR BEE View Post
That is a interesting set-up,with material from a converter inside it. I wouldn't pay $50 each for them though. Not so sure they will fix the CEL on this LLT 3.6L. The only problem is it claims to get rid of P0420 and P0430 codes for cat efficiency. The 2 Non foulers I installed got rid of those codes as well. Now I'm dealing with a P2097 bank1 sensor 2 rich code (this is the same code that the JBA shorties are getting) From some of the JBA post I read it seems like some of them fix this code by sealing the flange and some have tryed to seal it with no luck. My BBK headers and high flow cats have a similar flange as the JBA's, so I'm wondering if this is an exhaust leak issue and has nothing to do with the high flow converters. The JBA's use OEM converters and are getting this code.

BBKs have a stacker flange type setup before the cats? If so, if that area isn't perfectly flush and sealed, you are leaking, and you will get 2097/2099 codes.

Again, JBA, and BBK if they are using that same style, needs to redesign the stacker flange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mankind View Post
On the subject, I had seriously considered the solution Mrray suggested in post #76 during my header CEL issues. I managed my leak with a pair of gaskets. If the gaskets are not solving your problems and you dont wish to tune it then just go get them Welded and dont worry about the clamp. You are not moving the oxygen sensors when you use JBA or DT's so the only reason you should get a code is due to a leak somewhere. Mine may still get welded as time goes on but i have 15K miles on the gaskets and still no CEL.

Post #72, lol, I just went and looked But for those who can't get custom gaskets like yours, or get the stacker to seal up any other way, I think sleeving that section and welding it would be the best bet.

Have I mentioned that JBA needs to redesign that section??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.nite View Post
Which gaskets did you use. I'll install my BBK LTs next week and would like to use the best gaskets to prevent a possible leak.
He made his own. They go between the stacker flanges on the headers and the ones welded to the factory midpipe.

I need to check out BBK pics, hopefully they didn't really use that style of connection.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:57 PM   #82
jrc1122

Drives: 2012 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFreako View Post
Yes yes, everybody saying get a tune.

but i don't want to void the warranty if anyone understand that (no. the stupid headers didnt void it)

That's completely understandable. If you are worried about warranty,, I suggest staying as stock as you can be.. Because, while an entire warranty can't be voided for a modification/ list of modifications, certain sections of it can be. (If said modification can be reasonably linked to the failure in question)

I suggested getting a tune earlier (along with about 20 other people) sorry if that offended you, I completely understand if you don't want to tune your car. I just know from my all my time on various forums that often times CEL as a result of a peformance modfiiciation can be tuned out. So while I joking added to the redundancy of the "get a tune" response, I in no way think you are obligated to tune your car to find happiness in your car.

Good luck.

Last edited by jrc1122; 08-27-2010 at 02:38 PM.
jrc1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:14 PM   #83
mike.nite

Drives: 2011 2SS L99, 2010 LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrray13 View Post

He made his own. They go between the stacker flanges on the headers and the ones welded to the factory midpipe.

I need to check out BBK pics, hopefully they didn't really use that style of connection.

Sounds interesting - need to know more...
mike.nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:27 PM   #84
SDCamaro10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT RJT
Wow, 4 pages and only a few people with any reasonable, no BS replies. Everyone saying just tune.. ridiculous.

Check for leaks around the gaskets, make sure the O2 sensors are in the right spot (spacing), make sure the headers are well fitted to the engine, again make sure NO LEAKS. If theres no leaks, try a tune, or go back to stock and see if you continue to get a CEL. If you do find a leak, which you probably have somewhere, get it fixed and try again.