Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

View Poll Results: Do you plan to get this recall if you had a choice?
Yes 245 15.30%
No 1,356 84.70%
Voters: 1601. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-16-2014, 08:36 AM   #883
solteroblues

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS IBM
what difference does it make if the key is in the switchblade or a separate fob? The switchblade seems safer to me, because if you don't have any other keys hanging off of it, there's no way you can hit it and twist it. a fob hanging down is the only way a bump can twist it to turn it off
solteroblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:59 AM   #884
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by efpardo View Post
Yes, I'd like to see how they managed to cause the knee bump. I just don't see how they did it.

They showed somebody doing it on the news. It was hysterical, the guy was banging the heck out of it with his knee trying to turn off the car. Finally he managed to do it, but he whacked it a half dozen times. I thought he was ganna break the key fob off in the ignition, and instead of shutting it off he coulda just as easily hit it hard enough to turn the engine on, while the car is running! Yikes.

GM has gone overboard on this one. For folks whom actually are able to do this and it's an issue for them, GM should just make a snap in shield, half circle maybe two inches in height, that can snap into place to protect the key fob. Be a lot cheaper than replacing all the keys.

"If you like your key, you can keep your key. If you like your Dealer, you can keep your Dealer". Does have a familiar ring.
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:04 AM   #885
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normagene View Post
They showed somebody doing it on the news. It was hysterical, the guy was banging the heck out of it with his knee trying to turn off the car. Finally he managed to do it, but he whacked it a half dozen times. I thought he was ganna break the key fob off in the ignition, and instead of shutting it off he coulda just as easily hit it hard enough to turn the engine on, while the car is running! Yikes.

GM has gone overboard on this one. For folks whom actually are able to do this and it's an issue for them, GM should just make a snap in shield, half circle maybe two inches in height, that can snap into place to protect the key fob. Be a lot cheaper than replacing all the keys.

"If you like your key, you can keep your key. If you like your Dealer, you can keep your Dealer". Does have a familiar ring.
I assume you meant turning the key to start and not on, turning the key to start with the engine running will not do anything. The starter will not engage once the car is running.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:10 AM   #886
Dubscamaro
Living Life in MPH.

Drives: 15 Summit White 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
it will be the same key cut you already have..

all they will do is cut the none-switchblade style key to the existing cut you already have and program the fob to your car..

there are already several pictures of it in this thread, but here it is again:

all it is, is a separate key and fob, in the exact same key cut you have now.. so your key cut will not change and all locks will work with a single key.
This is so incredibly dumb of a recall. Does anyone not remember just a few months ago that pontiacs and the colbolt were recalled for this same issue yet "loose ignition"?
Old 06-16-2014, 09:27 AM   #887
f5journal
Senior Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2011 SS/RS manual - White
Well, I have not read every post, but I don't think anyone has mentioned the tilt wheel part of the equation. Maybe if you lay the wheel in your lap this might make sense

On the other side, this whole thing is a non-issue to me.
Former '68 and '69 Z/28 Owner...........Now sporting around in a 2011 RS/SS with........Kooks LT's and cats, JRE tune, CAI, scoop, ZL1 Bumper conversion, custom ZL-1 grille, halo harness, Painted silver stripes, GM GFX, black painted lower edge of skirts and rear bumper. MGW shifter.....and now a 3.91 1LE diff
f5journal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:31 AM   #888
Bobsled

Drives: 2012 Victory Red 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN 2010 SS View Post
Someone here made a very good point. Most dealers are not equipped to make new keys themselves, and they would have to be ordered. So if we take our Camaros back for say, a 30-minute oil change, the dealer is probably not going to be able to whip out a new key/fob and say "Here's your new key, and we're keeping the old one." That is... unless they try to hold the car hostage until the new key comes in.
I would think they would be able to make a key for you based on your VIN. Only thing they need your car for is to program the FOB. Still deciding whether we are going to do this or not. I'll wait until we get the letter.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:14 AM   #889
Normagene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I assume you meant turning the key to start and not on, turning the key to start with the engine running will not do anything. The starter will not engage once the car is running.

Really, not something I'll try just to see if that's the case or not. But I've heard plenty of people, not in a Camaro, try to start the car while it's already running and holy cow that's not a sound you ever want to hear. It use to be an almost certain way to loose a few teeth on the starter. Didn't know that's all in the past and can't happen anymore.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:21 AM   #890
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
This issue does not bother me but what does is all these gadgets they are putting on cars to make them safer, like adaptive cruise control, blind spot monitoring, automatic braking. Just think if one of those fail to work...
Another thing about those , I don't think it will make safer drivers but worse drivers. They will start relying on these systems to save them and pay less and less attention to their driving. It scares me to even think about it.
exactly. I already backed into a mailbox at night relying on my back up sensors and my very very limited view. Black mailbox.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:49 AM   #891
SS Jett

Drives: 2013 ZL1 #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normagene View Post
Really, not something I'll try just to see if that's the case or not. But I've heard plenty of people, not in a Camaro, try to start the car while it's already running and holy cow that's not a sound you ever want to hear. It use to be an almost certain way to loose a few teeth on the starter. Didn't know that's all in the past and can't happen anymore.
You can turn the key all day long while it is running. The starter won't engage like it would in older cars.
SS Jett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:52 AM   #892
Normagene

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Jett View Post
You can turn the key all day long while it is running. The starter won't engage like it would in older cars.

Good to know, not that I'll try it to see if its true or not, but glad they finally took care of that problem since plenty of knuckleheads seem to forget the car is already running.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:43 AM   #893
Grubiks 9

Drives: '14 AGM 1SS/1LE
I know a few people in here are following a similar post in another forum but I wanted to share here as well. For those who have already paid for their cars (like myself and a few others), I just got off the phone with my dealer. He said since it was already paid for it was no longer considered in his inventory and therefore canNOT hold the car from me. Nor can he change the keys without my approval since I paid before the recall came down. He is essentially a storage unti until I pick it up on Friday. Just wanted to share so people know it IS possible in certain cases to obtain your new car from the dealer. Hope this helps!!
Grubiks 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:50 AM   #894
jeffa

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS Ashen Gray Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN 2010 SS View Post
Someone here made a very good point. Most dealers are not equipped to make new keys themselves, and they would have to be ordered. So if we take our Camaros back for say, a 30-minute oil change, the dealer is probably not going to be able to whip out a new key/fob and say "Here's your new key, and we're keeping the old one." That is... unless they try to hold the car hostage until the new key comes in.
And you know this because.....

I would guess that a lot of dealers can cut keys. You need the key code that came with the second remote to your car, or the dealer can look it up as he should have it in his records.

You don't think that GM will make you go to the dealer once for the dealer to order the new keys, and a second time to program the key/remote....wait don't answer that, is is GM after all.....
jeffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:52 AM   #895
jeffa

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS Ashen Gray Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubiks 9 View Post
I know a few people in here are following a similar post in another forum but I wanted to share here as well. For those who have already paid for their cars (like myself and a few others), I just got off the phone with my dealer. He said since it was already paid for it was no longer considered in his inventory and therefore canNOT hold the car from me. Nor can he change the keys without my approval since I paid before the recall came down. He is essentially a storage unti until I pick it up on Friday. Just wanted to share so people know it IS possible in certain cases to obtain your new car from the dealer. Hope this helps!!
This only applies to a car that already has a signed contract BEFORE Friday of last week, before the dealer got the stop sell order.

Doesn't help someone like me that does not have a contract yet....
jeffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:58 AM   #896
superstreet
superstreet

Drives: 2012 SS/RS Drop Top
Thumbs down Camaro recall.

Just got back from my dealer. They know nothing about the recall they say? They put my car in the computer and no recalls come up yet??? This is really pissing me off!!!
superstreet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, camaro, new camaro, question, recall