Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-02-2012, 06:55 PM   #1
SVT2888

Drives: 97 Ford Thunderturd
Are you a Purist?

This past weekend I went on a drive with some friends. Three of the four of us had partied the night before and had hardly slept, but come one, it’s a drive! Sleep chosen over getting to enjoy some of the best and most scenic roads California has to offer? NEVER!

My friend Joe, the one with the best car and the one who didn’t party, did all the driving. We rode along in his recently purchased 2011 BMW 335d. He’s so in love with his diesel’s fuel mileage that he has put 3k miles on it in the month that he has owned the car. In fact, just three hours after he drove out of the dealership I joined him on a canyon run.

The canyon fun on this run started in the affluent town of Montecito. You know you’re in an affluent neighborhood when you start seeing Sotherby’s Real Estate signs on lawns, and you can’t even see the houses from the road because the fences are so high. Soon enough, however, the fancy houses stopped and we hit the rural areas of Santa Barbara, which is where the roads got really good.

Super tight twisties with lanes that narrower than the car, that to us is perfection. As we ascended higher into the hills surrounding Santa Barbara the road surface got poorer, but the views got better and better. We could see all of Santa Barbara below us with the ocean providing a beautiful back drop. Eventually we made it to Solvang for brunch (at 5pm) using canyon roads almost exclusively. Never once did anyone feel car sick, though it was probably due to the fact that we hadn’t eaten. Heck, we were having so much fun we had forgotten all about food.

How could you think about food when the roads you are traveling go from butter smooth through affluent neighborhoods, to rough in the hills, then you hit the valleys were they turn into dirt, eventually going into the woods. We did water crossings, encountered pot holes that could swallow a smart car and went over dozens of cow catchers. We never encountered a cop, and mostly just saw a few pick-up trucks driven by farmers who were probably thinking “These yuppies must be lost!”

At the end of the day we did 470 miles of nothing but canyon roads. The round trip took a total of about 10 hours, though we did kill a lot of time stopping for pictures and walking around Solvang looking for a place to eat. In the end we had a fun adventure, which made us closer friends and we got to see parts of California where few venture. All this while riding in what might just be one of the best daily drivers out there.The 335d allows you to get great fuel mileage without having to sacrifice in the fun department. If I had the money I would be all over one.

Towards the end of the drive, Joe brought up a good point; If you told a regular person, “Yeah I spent my Sunday driving around for fun through the canyons.” They’d probably think you were mad. They’d probably ask you “Why would you spend your whole day just driving around? You didn’t even have to!” But a regular person always sees driving as a chore; the Purist see it as a way to de-stress. We see it as a way to discover new places and get to know our car more. If we bring friends along, it’s a way to become closer with them and share in the adventure. We don’t always have to go on drives though; sometimes we are just happy sitting around talking cars, working on cars, or washing our cars. We’ll go to a car show and right after go home and instead of resting we start uploading and sharing our pics. Or we’ll go somewhere and sit down to discuss cars. We think about cars all day every day. Outsiders think we are weird, but when we are around other Purists we are seen as regular people.

I’d like to ask you guys, what do you see as the definition of an automotive “Purist” and would you consider yourself one?

http://hooniverse.com/

view the full-gallery at http://www.cncpics.com/2012/October/...6217981_C2nQTD
SVT2888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:22 AM   #2
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
"Canyon carver"...there's a reason that term has meaning to the "true believers"...

Great anecdotes, Leo!
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #3
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Oh yeah. Here are a few photos from a drive we went on Monday morning with some of the Las Vegas Camaro5 members.

Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:51 PM   #4
jordan 572

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Oh yeah. Here are a few photos from a drive we went on Monday morning with some of the Las Vegas Camaro5 members.

When did you leave vegas?
jordan 572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:11 PM   #5
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan 572 View Post
When did you leave vegas?
We left yesterday afternoon. Just laid up trying to recover now.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:36 PM   #6
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
We left yesterday afternoon. Just laid up trying to recover now.
Don't you own that Ferrari?
Old 11-05-2012, 11:05 AM   #7
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
My commute takes me through 10- 15 miles of mountain twisties every day... well, twice each day, because I get it going and coming. It's theraputic and completely enjoyable every single day. Some dread their commutes, but I relish that time. And, indeed, there are many days that I DON'T need to commute, so I'll just hit the road for the drive of it. Not a chore, not a task... it's a luxury. Hell, if all I had was a '92 Citation with an AM radio and a three- speed automatic, I'd still do it for the love of the drive.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:48 PM   #8
SS 376

Drives: 2010 IBM 1SS (Former)
Quote:

You did the Lamborghini dash conversion in a Camaro?? Sweet.
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote