Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-05-2014, 01:33 PM   #1
solteroblues

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS IBM
Trifecta tune and check engine light

Hi all, I have a 2011 LS with the LLT. I have a Vararam intake, trifecta tune, MACE intake spacer, and ported throttle body. All of this has been on the car for over a year with no problems.

All of a sudden about 2 days ago, the check engine light came on, so after checking it, it was P0430, which is a catalyst system low efficiency bank 2 fault. After reading up on it, it says usually in order to fix the problem, the catalytic converter will need to be replaced. I bought an extended warranty, which may cover this, but I'm worried about the mods I've made. I know it's been discussed before about voiding the warranty, but also a lot of people have been successful at getting repairs.

Could any of my mods have caused this issue? Or could it just be that it failed on its own. I'd like to know before I took it to a dealership and get screwed.

Thanks!
solteroblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 01:47 PM   #2
Gee
Silver Ice

Drives: 2011 1LT Coupe SIM
Hey buddy. Have the same exact year and motor. But slightly different mods. P0420 and P0430 usually come up for people with Long tube headers. Its not necessarily always the cat but it can be in your case(although unlikely).

Heres what I have learned. P0430 can be a number of things but are usually either

1) vacuum leak causing the lean/rich code

2) Leak in piping before the cats

3) bad manifold gaskets/loose manifolds.

Check engine bay for unusual puffing/tapping air sounds. tie some light papertowel to a long screwdriver and run along lines and near(dont start a fire) manifolds to see if there are any leaks.
Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 01:49 PM   #3
solteroblues

you know what? thanks for the reminder, aren't you supposed to tighten down the intake manifold bolts ever so often when you do the spacer mod? Maybe they've gotten loose and is causing a vacuum leak or something...
Old 12-05-2014, 01:58 PM   #4
Gee
Silver Ice

No problem man! Glad I can help you in diagnosing this problem. Grab a torque wrench and bring them to spec. Tighten up the intake, throttle body, manifolds. Dont clear the code if youll be driving about 100 miles in the next day or so. Try to see if it clears by itself. If not. Clear the codes and see what conditions cause the code to go back on. Then we can go from there.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:02 PM   #5
solteroblues

thanks. When I hooked up my reader a few minutes ago, the code went away, but I didn't clear them, not sure what happened, but it did idle rough right then and there, but I never noticed that issue before.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:12 PM   #6
Gee
Silver Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by solteroblues View Post
thanks. When I hooked up my reader a few minutes ago, the code went away, but I didn't clear them, not sure what happened, but it did idle rough right then and there, but I never noticed that issue before.
OK if the code cleared. I would unhook the negative from your battery in the trunk to shut everything off. Tighten everything down to spec. Check your hose fittings from catch can(if you have one) or the default PCV lines. Check the PCV valce on the back passenger side and the back drivers side make sure the fittings are all clicked in. Then reconnect battery terminal. Could be a bad tank of gas. Run 93 for a few tanks if you use bad gas. Any excessive air sounds from engine bay?
Old 12-05-2014, 02:21 PM   #7
solteroblues

I'm at work right now, I'll have to do this tomorrow (snuck out at lunch to hook up the reader).

Thanks so much for your help, I'll report back.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:27 PM   #8
Gee
Silver Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by solteroblues View Post
I'm at work right now, I'll have to do this tomorrow (snuck out at lunch to hook up the reader).

Thanks so much for your help, I'll report back.
Anytime brotha. Good luck!
Old 12-18-2014, 09:28 AM   #9
ELIC1
Account Suspended

Drives: black and silver
they say the Trifecta tune will not be seen by the dealer because its transparent. if they send it out to say gm belive me they will see it. i have this tune and think its one of the best out there. i think Gee is right on the money with is input good luck
ELIC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:42 AM   #10
Gee
Silver Ice

Forgot about this. How did everything go SolteroBlues?
Old 12-18-2014, 12:43 PM   #11
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
GM cannot see Trifecta tunes.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 04:06 PM   #12
SalMonreal

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Tyler View Post
GM cannot see Trifecta tunes.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
Does this include the LFX too? I've read on here that the LFX computer has a counter..
SalMonreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 04:09 PM   #13
ELIC1
Account Suspended

if gm really wants to see what is going on they will see it. had a friend that had it and they sent the ECM to GM and quess what then seen it and told him they will not fix is car
Old 12-18-2014, 04:11 PM   #14
ELIC1
Account Suspended

if you take your car in and the dealer sees you have headers they no you have to have a tune because your CEL will not be on. after headers you have to get a tune or you can just drive with the CEL on.