Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Texas

Old 01-05-2015, 02:44 PM   #29
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
At 1/2 mile I should bring my Mini Cooper S instead lol. The ZL1s weight and power would be having a field day on that layout I think. I know on the 1 mile track by me it is just barely long enough to be able to stretch the Z's legs.
I looked back on the thread from the last time we went and the short track is 6 tenths of a mile. I understand your hesitation to bring a ZL1,...Myself and the other 1LE were able to run down the only ZL1 that was there last time. LOL Like I mentioned, I'm hoping to try and set something up using more of the track this time. We'll see tomorrow. Honestly, bring either one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp51998 View Post
My chances of attending in May are just as good as April. It would depend on the dates due to work. I can move my dates around some but.....
Now's the time to give me a suggestion if you have one. Do you know of a date that would work for you now? This goes for everyone. I'm wide open until I set a date tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo40oz View Post
Thanks for pinging me on this. I'm interested and right now I'm a maybe - depending on where you guys end up with a date. I've been trying to get out to the driveway, so this will be a great opportunity.
Give me suggestions please.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:51 PM   #30
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

We have a date!

Okay, I had lunch with Mr Bill Dollahite and this is what we came up with for an event.

Date: May 16th 2015 Gates will open at 8:30 AM and the event will run to 4:00'ish.

Once people start registering for the event we will set up a backup day in case it rains on the 16th.

We came up with a couple different ideas based on the number of people which actually put up their money to drive.

(****You are NOT a driver until you have registered and paid in full*****)

While there will be driver instruction, this is going to be different than what we did last time. Last time we did a short class then did about 20 min of track time to practice what we just learned and repeated that process throughout the day. This time we're looking at doing something along those lines in the morning and then going to a lead/follow deal which may be modified based on how things are going. There will also be some right seat coaching from a professional driver that rides with you. Some of these details are still being worked on but I have no doubt this is going to be great!

Neither style of event will be a "show up and drive it like you stole it" day. This is a structured event. I'm not saying this to deter anyone from coming but I don't want anyone mislead into thinking this is going to be a full day of open track time.

Plan one:

MINIMUM 15 drivers - MAXIMUM 25 drivers

With a minimum of 15 drivers we will use the FULL CIRCUIT for all drivers!

There will be a mix of lead/follow as well as some laps done with a professional driver in the right seat coaching you. They are professionals, not just someone that's done a couple track days and thinks they can teach professionally. Generally speaking, sessions will be in 20 min blocks. This track is over 2 miles long and has it's own corkscrew like the one at Laguna Seca! You have to see this course to appreciate it. Awesome falls short by a long shot.

This is that course:

Description off of the Driveway Austin website:

Grand Prix Course

The Grand Prix Course is the ultimate experience at Driveway Austin. This is the full course with all of the dynamics rolled into a full experience lap. As an extension to the Short and Elevation Course, it adds the element of speed with a 2500’ straight away that emulates the winding straights of the Nurburgring in Germany and the “dogleg” experience from Imola in Italy. At the end of both straights, a prepared car can reach speeds in excess of 130 mph. This circuit is the training ground for mass momentum delay, vehicle degradation at high speeds and most importantly, “Driver Perception”.

In the event we only get about 10 people signed up........

For those of us which have already been to Driveway Austin and have our Foundations license, we will be set up to run the upper courses (Elevations & High Speed put together) while the new guys will be running the short course. Toward the end of the day, Bill indicated everyone will get the chance to run the full course. The way that would probably be worked out would be by running one group while the other is in class.

Both event types will have lunch provided.

Helmets are required to run the upper tracks (Elevations & High Speed) They have loaner helmets for free if you don't have your own.

In order to make this a private day 10 people need to be paid in full no less than 30 days prior to the event. Since we are on the calender for May 16th, that means the deadline is April 16th. Day after tax day! Put that tax return to good use! LOL

The cost is: $400 Per Driver.

If you think about that, it works out to $50 bucks an hour for you to be on a track with a professional coach/driver.

Here's a link to the website to signup: http://www.drivewayaustin.com/events...hw_attendees=0

Either way, you will learn a lot about your car and yourself all while having a great time. We all had a great time on our first time out. There was plenty of driving and learning, no one felt short changed at all.

I also stopped in and talked to my Chevy dealer about them sponsoring this event. They seemed up beat about the idea and want me to get them an email with the details. I suggested bringing cars out for test drives too. Never know.... This is going to be great!

I've got to get my son to karate now. Please start hitting me with your questions and Bill and I will answer them as fast as we can.

See you there!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Grand Prix Course.pdf (224.2 KB, 100 views)
Old 01-06-2015, 07:13 PM   #31
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

Forgot to add a video which is basically an ad for Driveway Austin but it's a good basic look at the place.

By the way. If you decide to save your tires/car, they have spec Miatas to rent as well as the black car they show zipping around the track.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:35 PM   #32
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
I'm a go.
First question: if for some unforeseen reason we need to cancel, what are the policies for cancellation?
Old 01-07-2015, 05:23 AM   #33
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by h018871 View Post
I'm a go.
First question: if for some unforeseen reason we need to cancel, what are the policies for cancellation?
Good question. I'll email Bill this morning and get you an answer asap.

As people let me know they've paid I'll update the list showing that.

THAT'S NUMBER TWO!
Old 01-07-2015, 08:59 AM   #34
hazy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
holy crap this sounds like LOADS of fun

are regular daily driver tires OK for something like this? I have Nitto Invos with probably 1/2 or so tread left, and not really the funds for more at the moment. Would I likely need to replace them before/after the session you think?

I have ZERO experience with this type of thing, and only had the car for 1 year, so I'm still learning how she drives, but this trip sounds like a shitload of fun...
hazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:56 AM   #35
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazy View Post
holy crap this sounds like LOADS of fun

are regular daily driver tires OK for something like this? I have Nitto Invos with probably 1/2 or so tread left, and not really the funds for more at the moment. Would I likely need to replace them before/after the session you think?

I have ZERO experience with this type of thing, and only had the car for 1 year, so I'm still learning how she drives, but this trip sounds like a shitload of fun...

Zero experience is no problem. That's what Driveway Austin is all about. Teaching.

Normal tires are fine. It's always nice to have "Track" tires but few of us have a full set of extra tires/rims rolling around just waiting for a track day. If you join us there is no doubt in my mind you will have a great time and learn a ton. I super excited to drive this entire course.

You will put some heavy use on your tires during this event. If you're half life now you'll be okay on track day. I'm not familiar with how hard those tires are but I would think you'll be okay for a while afterwards too. It all depends on how agressive you get and how soft the tire is.

I'm going to be putting a new set of the stock Goodyears back on my 1LE before track day since I HATE my Michilens on the track, and the road, but that's another story.

Let me know if I should add you to the list. Tell your friends.

Hope to see you there.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:37 AM   #36
hazy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
sounds good. I'll chat with wifey and see what she thinks. At that point in the year, I'll be leaving her with a 3 year old, and a 2 month old girl, so she may not be too keen on me taking a track day

I'll see what she has to say and PM or reply here if I'm able to swing the funds/time!
hazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 11:47 AM   #37
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazy View Post
sounds good. I'll chat with wifey and see what she thinks. At that point in the year, I'll be leaving her with a 3 year old, and a 2 month old girl, so she may not be too keen on me taking a track day

I'll see what she has to say and PM or reply here if I'm able to swing the funds/time!

Good deal. No worries. Just post it here. Good luck.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:37 PM   #38
aquaholic

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible
Are convertibles okay? I know some tracks don't allow them.
aquaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:40 PM   #39
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

I'll check on that but I think they're okay.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:47 PM   #40
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
At 1/2 mile I should bring my Mini Cooper S instead lol. The ZL1s weight and power would be having a field day on that layout I think. I know on the 1 mile track by me it is just barely long enough to be able to stretch the Z's legs.

I stand corrected about the length of the short course. The short course is 7 tenths of a mile'ish. Heavy on the 'ish. The full course is over 2 miles.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:59 PM   #41
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3 aka "BlackWidow"
I'm interested.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:24 PM   #42
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMJ View Post
I'm interested.
Cool cool. It's open for people to start registering now.