Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-25-2016, 09:18 AM   #1
CamaroFreak626

Drives: 2010 camaro ss LS3
Please help before I have to send my car off to the shop!!!

Can you guys help please I want to try to fix it before I send it off to the shop as my last option. The noise comes in at the beginning of each shift from 1st to 3rd once I hit 4th to 6th it doesn't do it at all. Here's the video link, hope somebody here has the answer. https://youtu.be/MHr8JL-NUQE
CamaroFreak626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:26 AM   #2
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
That's a whole lot of movement/play in your shifter while driving. Have you taken a look at the transmission mounts? It sounds like it's rattling underneath against something. Have you put it up on a lift or at least jack stands to take a look under there? How many miles are on the car?
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:39 AM   #3
CamaroFreak626

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFS197 View Post
That's a whole lot of movement/play in your shifter while driving. Have you taken a look at the transmission mounts? It sounds like it's rattling underneath against something. Have you put it up on a lift or at least jack stands to take a look under there? How many miles are on the car?
Yes I have took a look at everything under the car everything seems pretty normal to be honest. 126k on it 2010
Old 06-25-2016, 09:52 AM   #4
68rssscamaro
Camaro: A Legend Reborn!!

Drives: SOLD: 12 2SS/RS LS3 45th
I would say it has to do with the linkage. I am no expert, but have you removed the boot, trim plate, and checked for anything loose? Probably have some worn bushings. Time to maybe upgrade your shifter.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t=68611&page=2

68rssscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:11 AM   #5
CamaroFreak626

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68rssscamaro View Post
I would say it has to do with the linkage. I am no expert, but have you removed the boot, trim plate, and checked for anything loose? Probably have some worn bushings. Time to maybe upgrade your shifter.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t=68611&page=2
I haven't removed the boot yet that's definitely the next thing I'll later this afternoon
Old 06-25-2016, 10:14 AM   #6
Ledzepx

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro 6sp.
Taking the boot off isnt gonna see the problem. Looks like the linkage bushing are shot. I would take it to a transmission shop. When I took mine in for a shifter issue. They drop the trans and the clutch doesnt seem right to me. Only went there since under warrenty. If I new that the clutch would have been different feel after they touched it. I would have found a trans shop. I would take a look around shops and ask questions first. Make sure they hve Experience
Old 06-25-2016, 10:28 AM   #7
CamaroFreak626

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledzepx View Post
Taking the boot off isnt gonna see the problem. Looks like the linkage bushing are shot. I would take it to a transmission shop. When I took mine in for a shifter issue. They drop the trans and the clutch doesnt seem right to me. Only went there since under warrenty. If I new that the clutch would have been different feel after they touched it. I would have found a trans shop. I would take a look around shops and ask questions first. Make sure they hve Experience
I'm already taking a look at a couple since I cannot find the problem. I hope I find a good one, I don't like shops and don't trust them either
Old 06-25-2016, 10:38 AM   #8
68rssscamaro
Camaro: A Legend Reborn!!

Drives: SOLD: 12 2SS/RS LS3 45th
Dropping the tranny mount to access is normal.

What is involved for shifter removal starts @ 6:50

68rssscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:50 AM   #9
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Looks like the stock shifter moving with the trans in the tunnel from vibrations going over the road and a not so great stock return spring .... LOL I would replace the shifter with a MGW. And, your up there in mileage I am afraid to ask how old the clutch is. I did not hear any abnormal noise , I know the stock shifter is what it is.....
I use a Monster lt1s clutch works with the stock slave but with the age of your Camaro without a billet throwout bearing support monster makes yours may be melted plastic some, ( have seen ugly photos), and that's something everyone with the LS engines should know about their Manual. Its a weak point in design. And BTW everyone the Monster LT1s clutch is nice and chatter free like stock with about stock feel and I love it as I have heard others clutch chatter on some that's like WOW...and you paid what? for that clutch WTF..... I know monster also makes more clutches also with more than 700 rwhp capacity. Ask a Bro how one missed shift at the wrong time can F up your engine...LOL

I would wonder how much crap you have in the center console also. I can get harmonic vibrations in my exhaust also that can make a noise but its just a freak thing from finding the right harmonics to make it shake a little and the hangers vibrate from the engine torque back and forth in the saddles. Hardly ever notice it but its a common thing with exhaust hanging.... But Most of the time I ever notice a noise its crap in my console or glove box....
Old 06-26-2016, 02:01 PM   #10
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Agree that there is way too much movement in your shifter, especially from 1st-4th. Also, you can see in the vibration of the shifter the noise you're hearing. With the mileage you have, I'd say the shifter bushings and/or the trans mount would be the main culprits. Good thing is, both are easy fixes. Like other's have said, take this opportunity to change the shifter out for either a Hurst or a MGW.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 02:33 PM   #11
Ashn_G_1LE

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Hey bro, I was gonna say I think it may be bushings or tranny mount as well. I noticed ur in la puente and my buddy has a shop in Covina you can take it to if you don't already have a place to take it. Great honest mechanic and I can have him give you good pricing to help out the fellow Camaro driver haha. Let me know brotha
Ashn_G_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro, ls3, noise, shifter