Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-25-2013, 08:48 AM   #15
Vespula2012

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS/SS LS3
I'm having EXACTLY this problem right now!

When the wheel is in a "relaxed" state (doesn't necessarily need to be straight) there is a high pitched whistle... like air sneaking through the ventilation system but its definitely from the steering because... apply ANY amount of pressure to the steering wheel in either direction and it goes away (until the wheel is relaxed again). I can also hear it from out under the hood, but with all the other ambient noise there, its harder to spot. But if you just stand still and listen, it sounds like a periodic cricket sound. It can be hear while driving too, but is largely masked by road noise. You notice it more by its absence whenever you change lanes.

Using my iPhone connected through the bluetooth I was able to actually capture the sound quite well. I'll see if I can post it here later. I've got an appointment at my dealer tomorrow to have it looked at... will post results.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:53 PM   #16
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally-RS/SS View Post
I'm having EXACTLY this problem right now!

When the wheel is in a "relaxed" state (doesn't necessarily need to be straight) there is a high pitched whistle... like air sneaking through the ventilation system but its definitely from the steering because... apply ANY amount of pressure to the steering wheel in either direction and it goes away (until the wheel is relaxed again). I can also hear it from out under the hood, but with all the other ambient noise there, its harder to spot. But if you just stand still and listen, it sounds like a periodic cricket sound. It can be hear while driving too, but is largely masked by road noise. You notice it more by its absence whenever you change lanes.

Using my iPhone connected through the bluetooth I was able to actually capture the sound quite well. I'll see if I can post it here later. I've got an appointment at my dealer tomorrow to have it looked at... will post results.
Hi Rally-RS/SS,

It looks like you may be experiencing a similar issue. I would recommend taking your vehicle into a dealership for diagnosis and service also. Could I assist you in setting up a visit?

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 05-10-2013, 06:43 AM   #17
Vespula2012

Thanks Reggie,

Its at the dealer as I speak. I sent them this thread and they also eluded to some sort of bulletin (not necessarily a TSB) that made reference to it. Should be done today or tomorrow. I'll let everyone know what the outcome and solution was (assuming it comes back corrected).
Old 05-19-2013, 03:20 PM   #18
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Thanks Reggie,

Its at the dealer as I speak. I sent them this thread and they also eluded to some sort of bulletin (not necessarily a TSB) that made reference to it. Should be done today or tomorrow. I'll let everyone know what the outcome and solution was (assuming it comes back corrected).
Great news Rally-RS/SS,

That sounds like a good plan, I will be awaiting your update on your vehicle and hopefully we can get this issue resolved quickly.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 05-19-2013, 04:40 PM   #19
Vespula2012

Well, the dealer changed out the steering rack, but sadly, the sound is still there. Sounds exactly like a tea pot that is just starting to whistle. It's slightly more noticeable when revved, but then the exhaust is louder too so hard to notice that its more pronounced... But it is. :(

Not sure where to go from here... Ideas anyone?
Old 05-21-2013, 01:50 PM   #20
K32 Camaro
V8 lounge member #5

Drives: 12 2SS Synergy Camaro, 05 PontiacG6
Quote:
Well, the dealer changed out the steering rack, but sadly, the sound is still there. Sounds exactly like a tea pot that is just starting to whistle. It's slightly more noticeable when revved, but then the exhaust is louder too so hard to notice that its more pronounced... But it is. :(

Not sure where to go from here... Ideas anyone?
I have this whistle kinda sound when I first hit the gas just slightly. Does yours do this as well?
K32 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:47 PM   #21
Vespula2012

No, mine is isolated to the steering, and is only present when the wheel is in a "relaxed" state. Turn it even the slightest to one side of the other and the noise immediately stops. It gets slightly loader with increased RPM, but not very much so. If you have the radio or fan on, you almost don't notice. But if its a "quiet" driving time (no radio, no or low fan) you can hear it steadily while your driving straight and goes away whenever the wheel is turned. Good luck with yours!
Old 11-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #22
Vespula2012

Does anyone have any further updates on this issue? I'm still periodically vexed by it. Luckily it doesn't do it all the time. But yesterday I pulled into a parking lot and it was especially loud. Fortunately it stayed that way long enough to get it to the dealer and for them to also hear it.

After the rack was replaced it has still been there periodically, and faint. But yesterday it was notably louder. Today it is silent. I hate issues like this. When its present, it drives you crazy!
Old 11-19-2013, 09:09 AM   #23
tezell

Drives: 2013 Camaro RS
I have a 2013 V6 and I have a whistling noise when accelerating. Although I describe it more as a chirping or high-pitched whirring. It happens when accelerating, lessens or goes away when I let off gas. Push he pedal, it's back. Mine is exactly as you describe as far as barely noticeable with radio on. I hate it because I can't have a "quiet drive" with radio off or else the noise drives me crazy. Dealership said they couldn't find a problem and all noises are "normal". Very unhappy but not worth it to go back to the dealership. I'm looking for info as to whether or not it could be fixed with any modifications. They comment above regarding the plastic intake is making me think maybe some mods would fix the issue? I don't know....
tezell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:17 PM   #24
RumRunner

Drives: '12 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespula2012 View Post
Does anyone have any further updates on this issue? I'm still periodically vexed by it. Luckily it doesn't do it all the time. But yesterday I pulled into a parking lot and it was especially loud. Fortunately it stayed that way long enough to get it to the dealer and for them to also hear it.

After the rack was replaced it has still been there periodically, and faint. But yesterday it was notably louder. Today it is silent. I hate issues like this. When its present, it drives you crazy!
My 12' SS does it also. The dealership replaced the steering gear this week and it still does it just not quite as loud, YET... It will only do it when I'm not turning the wheel. After it gets warm on a long road trip it gets louder.
I was told I have to live with it, all of them do it. Not exactly the answer I was looking for from the dealer.
RumRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:11 AM   #25
ShadowYYZ

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT Deep Magenta
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezell View Post
I have a 2013 V6 and I have a whistling noise when accelerating. Although I describe it more as a chirping or high-pitched whirring. It happens when accelerating, lessens or goes away when I let off gas. Push he pedal, it's back. Mine is exactly as you describe as far as barely noticeable with radio on. I hate it because I can't have a "quiet drive" with radio off or else the noise drives me crazy. Dealership said they couldn't find a problem and all noises are "normal". Very unhappy but not worth it to go back to the dealership. I'm looking for info as to whether or not it could be fixed with any modifications. They comment above regarding the plastic intake is making me think maybe some mods would fix the issue? I don't know....
did u ever figure it out
ShadowYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise, steering, whistle