Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 01-22-2010, 04:26 PM   #1
D1BADZ
hmmmmm

Drives: 2010 IOM in-n-out 2SS
Sway bar End links to weak and dinky?

So after installing my rear balance bar I noticed how dinky the The End link truly are! maybe a 1/4 " diameter but not sure.

That got me thinking of the sways actually do anything or are the links so weak there is no difference?

Also has anyone seen any company selling new end links?

Thoughts or explantions are appreciated and welcome.

Thanks

D1BADZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:36 PM   #2
55Designs

Drives: 2010
Factory links SUCK

I used BWoody Links the results were just amazing. Got get a set.
55Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:44 PM   #3
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Hello D1BADZ,

Well, to your first comment, I believe there is some truth to them being weak and dinky, but maybe not as much as you perceive.

The diameter of the link is really dependent on the directions in which it will be stressed. Because of the ball joint ends, and the geometry of the suspension, the majority of loading will take place along the axis of the endlink, and therefore is only required to be strong (ish) in tension and compression.

To the second comment, your sways are certainly doing their job. Weak endlinks or not.

With that said, high impact events like bumping a wheel at an accelerated rate over a rock or something, can cause things to go awry from the original design intent. We supply heavy duty endlinks with our race anti roll bar package, due to the increased load transfer rate that it is responsible for. So, for normal driving, I wouldn't necessarily be concerned with the OEM endlinks being a shortcoming. But if you live in an area with harsh road conditions, then you may just keep an eye on it, to see if the ball joints start wearing prematurely.

Last edited by PfadtRacing; 01-22-2010 at 05:00 PM.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:28 PM   #4
Dynabyte

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS/NPP Red Hot
I just installed Eibach sways and springs a couple of weeks ago, and saw the "skimpy" end-links that our Camaros have. These Spohn Performance end-links arrived this week and will be installed shortly. They have Chromoly parts, and even though they may not be absolutely required I wanted to have nice stuff hooked up to nice stuff

Old 01-22-2010, 10:34 PM   #5
orange10s.c.

Drives: IOM 2SS RS M6 sunroof
Man those are sweet !!!
orange10s.c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:46 PM   #6
d69chris
Florida C5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Vortech L99 IOM
Send a message via Yahoo to d69chris
Nice Dynabyte, what do those run per set or all four??

Are the short set ball joint ends? The long ones look like they are.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:58 PM   #7
Dynabyte

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS/NPP Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by d69chris View Post
Nice Dynabyte, what do those run per set or all four??

Are the short set ball joint ends? The long ones look like they are.
Yes, both sets have ball joints - they're teflon lined and there's lots of info and a couple of videos on their website. I'm really impressed with them. All four links were just shy of $200 shipped.

Last edited by Dynabyte; 01-23-2010 at 12:36 AM.
Dynabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:17 AM   #8
FFPM73
Firefighter/Paramedic

Drives: RJT 2SS/RS M6 LS-3
I also just installed the Eibach springs/sway bars kit. I was wanting to buy some aftermarket end links. How much for the set of 4 with shipping to Kentucky?
Old 01-23-2010, 01:46 AM   #9
D1BADZ
hmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PfadtRacing View Post
Hello D1BADZ,

Well, to your first comment, I believe there is some truth to them being weak and dinky, but maybe not as much as you perceive.

The diameter of the link is really dependent on the directions in which it will be stressed. Because of the ball joint ends, and the geometry of the suspension, the majority of loading will take place along the axis of the endlink, and therefore is only required to be strong (ish) in tension and compression.

To the second comment, your sways are certainly doing their job. Weak endlinks or not.

With that said, high impact events like bumping a wheel at an accelerated rate over a rock or something, can cause things to go awry from the original design intent. We supply heavy duty endlinks with our race anti roll bar package, due to the increased load transfer rate that it is responsible for. So, for normal driving, I wouldn't necessarily be concerned with the OEM endlinks being a shortcoming. But if you live in an area with harsh road conditions, then you may just keep an eye on it, to see if the ball joints start wearing prematurely.
Thanks for the peice of mind, and Ill keep an eye out on the ball joints for sure

Old 01-23-2010, 10:31 AM   #10
PfadtRacing

No worries, I didn't want to come off saying it isn't a good idea. Because it is. But the situation may not be as critical others areas of the car, that's all.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:01 AM   #11
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
I too was under my car yesterday and wondered about the links being so thin. Thanks, PfadtRacing, for the education on this. I'm ordering sways and springs in the next few days. Just tryin to get as much info and feedback as possible first.

Not sure of the sways reducing that much body roll. But that's another topic.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:50 PM   #12
PfadtRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
I too was under my car yesterday and wondered about the links being so thin. Thanks, PfadtRacing, for the education on this. I'm ordering sways and springs in the next few days. Just tryin to get as much info and feedback as possible first.

Not sure of the sways reducing that much body roll. But that's another topic.
Anytime. Its a good approach you have to research as much as you can and decide which options are best for you. If you have any questions at all about our products, please do not hesitate to contact us! We are here to help. Thanks!
Old 01-24-2010, 02:01 PM   #13
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by PfadtRacing View Post
Anytime. Its a good approach you have to research as much as you can and decide which options are best for you. If you have any questions at all about our products, please do not hesitate to contact us! We are here to help. Thanks!
Ya, I think I've dicided against Eibach. Not for anything bad or quality related but I want mine lowered a tad more. Closer to an inch and a quarter. Seems to me that they are all gonna be about the same as far as performance and me being able to tell how well they work.

D1BADZ, whitch ones did you install?
Old 01-24-2010, 04:10 PM   #14
D1BADZ
hmmmmm

I did pfadt springs with just there balance bar for now. In the driveway in about 3 hours with hand tools some air tools a jack and some jack stands.

Been a solid week and ride is awesome. 1 1/4 is perfect IMO. I had a couple local owners check it out yesterday and they agreed. Its amazing how much lowering these cars really sets it off.

I was worried about losing the amazing comfort but none lost. The only time I feel a diff is hard bumps like sewage drains that are stepped down about 1" or so.