Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-24-2014, 04:50 PM   #1
Gi0vanni2ss

Drives: 2010 2ss Camaro
Recommended Rotors for 2010 SS?

Looking into getting some cross drilled and slotted rotors and possibly brake pads... ( I'm looking something with some performance to it, but bang for your buck deal)

RECOMMENDATIONS?
Gi0vanni2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:03 PM   #2
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
You can't beat the stock brembo rotors for cost and performance. Now if you just want the looks of cross drilling, Brembo makes sport rotors. Otherwise The only other options are inferior rotors that companies cross drill and resell. I found they work fine for other cars, not sure I'd want them on my SS.

I myself would just go stock or cross drill a new set of stock Brembo rotors. I had a thread on this.... I haven't got around to drilling mine out yet.
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:36 PM   #3
Gi0vanni2ss

Drives: 2010 2ss Camaro
What about stoptech? How do those cross drilled and slotted work? .. Are they work it?
Gi0vanni2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:40 PM   #4
Iam Broke
PHAT B33

Drives: 2012 TF3 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
R1 Concepts Premium dimpled and slotted. Less susceptible to cracking than drilled.

Stock Brembo OEM pads. (Pretty sure they are Ferrodo)
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2014, 06:32 PM   #5
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
Slotted & drilled rotors gives better performance but don't they have a shorter life?
Old 05-24-2014, 06:38 PM   #6
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
I put Grannatelli slotted & dimpled w/ Hawk racing performance ceramic pads & stainless steel brake lines. You can see what they all look like installed on my build. And they work just great for stopping and cornering at high speed On Watkins Glen Road course.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:55 PM   #7
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by i2disturbedSS View Post
Slotted & drilled rotors gives better performance but don't they have a shorter life?

I challenge any one here to show proof of this...

Slotted & drilled are just for show. Solid rotors are better and stopping and last longer. Most F1 race cars have solid ceramic rotors for this reason.

The slotted rotors claim to move gases away from the pads...what gases? Most modern pads don't give off gases anymore.

The drilled rotors weaken the rotors...unless they are cast into the rotor during manufacturing.

If the drilled rotors reduce heat I would argue they do so by reducing the surface area..... not a good thing when you want increased surface area to stop better.

I don't buy this slotted & drilled stuff...
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:54 PM   #8
SSICKO

Drives: SSICKO
I went with r1 dimpled and slotted last year
Old 05-25-2014, 01:15 PM   #9
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
I challenge any one here to show proof of this...

Slotted & drilled are just for show. Solid rotors are better and stopping and last longer. Most F1 race cars have solid ceramic rotors for this reason.

The slotted rotors claim to move gases away from the pads...what gases? Most modern pads don't give off gases anymore.

The drilled rotors weaken the rotors...unless they are cast into the rotor during manufacturing.

If the drilled rotors reduce heat I would argue they do so by reducing the surface area..... not a good thing when you want increased surface area to stop better.

I don't buy this slotted & drilled stuff...
I tend to agree with you. Like drilling into the rotors would make them weak-idk actually. Anybody had the regular rotors and then upgraded with facts or myabe a vendor can clear some of these slotted and drilled are better. Are they better only if you are racing or are they also good as the stock on the streets for DD?
Old 05-25-2014, 03:19 PM   #10
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Crickets.......

Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote