Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 07-06-2010, 10:25 PM   #1
gahammerle

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6 Inferno Orange
Real squirrely in rough corners

Tonight I was on a ramp from one highway to another and it had a lot of bumps. Caused the car to get real squirrely - my wife got a little nervous in the passenger seat.

My suspension, wheels, & tires are all stock LS. Are there any upgrades I can do to keep the car planted better over rough sections (other than modifying how far down I've pressed the accelerator)?

Injen CAI / Solo Mach-X LLT / Solo High-flow res-cats / Barton short shifter / RX Catch Can / RPI Gills / 35% tint / LED Footwell Lighting Front & Rear / Pedders Street 1 / Pedders steering rack bushing / SS struts / Pfadt drop springs / VMax Ported Throttle Body / Spohn Toe Rods / Spohn Trailing Arms / Trifecta Tune / MACE 25mm Intake Spacers

Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/gahammerle
gahammerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:03 PM   #2
bigsquirrel
My car runs on acorns....

Drives: 2010 SS RS Inferno Orange
By "squirrelly" I'm assuming you meant better than ever? don't make me come over there...

You'll get varying opinions but the must common seem to be lower springs and better sways.
bigsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:07 PM   #3
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
What Big Squirrel said

Better sways to start. Then lowering springs, bushings...as with everything, you can go nuts with upgrades...
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:08 PM   #4
gahammerle

I mean it felt like I was sliding on marbles for a second or two.

Injen CAI / Solo Mach-X LLT / Solo High-flow res-cats / Barton short shifter / RX Catch Can / RPI Gills / 35% tint / LED Footwell Lighting Front & Rear / Pedders Street 1 / Pedders steering rack bushing / SS struts / Pfadt drop springs / VMax Ported Throttle Body / Spohn Toe Rods / Spohn Trailing Arms / Trifecta Tune / MACE 25mm Intake Spacers

Find me on Facebook:
Old 07-06-2010, 11:26 PM   #5
bigsquirrel
My car runs on acorns....

Drives: 2010 SS RS Inferno Orange
It could be that you hit some gravel or your just giving it to much gas/steering input or not in the right combination and your back end is slipping out. I don't know your level of experience so hope I'm not offending. If your new to a high horse power rear wheel drive car, especially one as heavy as the camaro it might handle very differently than what your used to. I'd find a SCCA event or something similar in your area. I've always had good experiences with them, on a track you'll be able to safely (relatively anyway) learn the limits of your cars handling and your comfort level and get some professional instruction if you'd like. This car handles pretty well but can be a little freaky when you near the limit. Out of all the mods listed in this forum professional instruction is certainly the best bang for your buck.
bigsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:43 PM   #6
gahammerle

I was pushing it harder than normal through the curve. It had one section of buckled pavement where it felt like it was just skating across the tops of the ridges - had a real light feeling.

Find me on Facebook:
Old 07-07-2010, 03:20 AM   #7
tangorover

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT Summit White
My 2LT also does that. Its a weird feeling. I have grip and complete control just feels "squirelly" when cornering over some rough spots. From what ive heard sway's are the first to attack. Im prsonally looking at the PDAFT (or whatever they are called) Sport lite kit.
tangorover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:05 AM   #8
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
drop it a little and add some sways. I'm running Pfadt all around and love it. The sways really help a lot.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:24 PM   #9
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
Did you notice if your traction control light came on?

mike
dms
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:28 PM   #10
gahammerle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dms View Post
Did you notice if your traction control light came on?

mike
dms
No I didn't notice. I was busy watching the concrete barrier that was getting a little closer.

Find me on Facebook:
Old 07-07-2010, 07:38 PM   #11
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
Quote:
Originally Posted by gahammerle View Post
No I didn't notice. I was busy watching the concrete barrier that was getting a little closer.
I am wondering if you ended up with oversteer, and the back end was coming around. Similar to a wheel hop issue. Your thoughts?

mike
dms
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:56 PM   #12
gahammerle

Yeah, the back-end did feel like it came around a bit.

Find me on Facebook:
Old 07-07-2010, 09:31 PM   #13
mws444

Drives: 701 RWHP Lingenfelter/Pedders Beast
Do you have an automatic or manual tranny? When you were in the corner did you let off the gas or drive it out? If you are running high speed in a corner and let off the gas your engine and actually via compression slow the rear wheels enough to make your rear end break loose. It is more common in a manual transmission than an automatic but can happen with either. High speed driving takes practice and some skill, like was said above hit a SCCA event and get some pointers and make a few runs to practice.
CCW 505t's Nitto Invo's and DR's
Beware of the LPE Brotherhood!
mws444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:03 AM   #14
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
I had something similar happen to me when I first got the car. I was going around a freeway overpass sweeper that had an unexpected rough spot where a join had settled and the car did this squirrelly dance all over the place when it hit that section. I had my hands full for a moment and kept it under control but I could feel the suspension worming all over the place with the back and front feeling like they were completely disconnected and doing their own thing unrelated to each other. The whole car had this spongy, worming around, uncoordinated feeling. The rubbery flex of all those stock bushings when they're trying to handle a 2 ton vehicle wanting to go in all direcitons is what you're experiencing.

I've since replaced bushings with the Pedders Street Extreme package along with their coilovers and the difference is like night and day. I've gone over that same stretch with the car the way it is now and it's amazing how different it is. The front and rear feel like they're synchronized now and the car just tracks over it without any drama.

If you're going to performance drive I highly recommend at least a bushing upgrade; you can buy those separately without having to get the coilovers. The car rides much better than stock and the difference in handling is wonderful. It's now very predictable, very solid, very stable and the car feels planted when going over uneven surfaces. Yet the ride is comfortable; not harsh or jolting in the least.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote