Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Old 10-17-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
boondocksaint
Cartoon Maus

Drives: White ZL1, Chevroyota Prizolla
Tires, temps, and your experiences requested

I live in the moderate climate of Charlotte, NC. I drive my Zed probably once a week and on long road trips (and to the track, when that opportunity presents itself). There's the backstory.

During the holiday season, I do a lot of long-distance driving. That means winter, though not snow on the routes I travel. I know the F1s on the car are supposedly no good under 40 degrees and the manufacturer says not to use them on roads under 20 degrees.

Typical tarmac temps in winter, during the day where I travel, can approach freezing, but not much lower. However, that is a gamble.

My question for you is, should I re-shoe the car for winter driving (again, not in snow or salt). I will not be buying another set of wheels, just tires (which will probably be appropriately sized Conti DWS).

For those who have driven the stock rubber in low temps, what are your thoughts? I've seen varying reports and was wondering if a consensus had been reached. I'd rather not take my daily beater on a long trip.
boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocksaint View Post
I live in the moderate climate of Charlotte, NC. I drive my Zed probably once a week and on long road trips (and to the track, when that opportunity presents itself). There's the backstory.

During the holiday season, I do a lot of long-distance driving. That means winter, though not snow on the routes I travel. I know the F1s on the car are supposedly no good under 40 degrees and the manufacturer says not to use them on roads under 20 degrees.

Typical tarmac temps in winter, during the day where I travel, can approach freezing, but not much lower. However, that is a gamble.

My question for you is, should I re-shoe the car for winter driving (again, not in snow or salt). I will not be buying another set of wheels, just tires (which will probably be appropriately sized Conti DWS).

For those who have driven the stock rubber in low temps, what are your thoughts? I've seen varying reports and was wondering if a consensus had been reached. I'd rather not take my daily beater on a long trip.
I understand, they reccomend not driving below 40 and not storing below 20. Weather here drops below 40 several times a year and I just didn't drive it then. Today I actually got some Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Good luck, I would be careful, I have seen some pics of those tires that cracked.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
Jeff65SS

Drives: 1965 Chevelle Malibu SS
I drove on the stock tires last winter through the cold weather. No problems for weeks, until one day when applying the throttle, the rear end just broke loose all of a sudden and put me into a curb. I wasn't even getting on it. Those tires are like riding on ice. I strongly discourage using those tires in the low temperatures. If you do decide to keep them on, pay close attention while driving for the first 15 minutes until they can heat up some.
Jeff65SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:32 PM   #4
boondocksaint
Cartoon Maus

Drives: White ZL1, Chevroyota Prizolla
The trick is that a six-hour drive at Interstate speeds at night will likely result in a colder road surface than is palatable. I know I'd be better off on the Contis. I'm just trying meekly to not spring for them, as I'd only be on them for about 1500 miles total before spring hit.

Tough to swallow ~$1200 in tires, especially around the holidays.

Thank you for your comments. I suppose I was hoping for someone to tell me it'd be okay. Realist are much more appreciated.
boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:52 PM   #5
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
I don't think you'll have any issues. I live in west central Florida and last winter we had several weeks of 40 and below temps and I had no issues after letting the tires warm up a bit.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #6
qniknam
Account Suspended

Drives: 13 ZL1 | 13 SRT GC | 13 SRT CHARGER
Traction:
Cold: none
Warm: none
Hot: works great...

Lol...
qniknam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #7
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
The trick is that a six-hour drive at Interstate speeds at night will likely result in a colder road surface than is palatable. I know I'd be better off on the Contis. I'm just trying meekly to not spring for them, as I'd only be on them for about 1500 miles total before spring hit.

Thank you for your comments. I suppose I was hoping for someone to tell me it'd be okay. Realist are much more appreciated.
My experience from last winter was the tires have little to no grip when temps hit between 40-45 degrees. We have a lot of days during the winter where the temps never get out of the 30s let alone 40s. So for this winter, I spent big bucks for replica rims and Pirelli Sotozero tires.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312252

if I put 1000 miles on these tires during the winter, I'll be shocked. But I justified the expense because my safety in the car is number one priority and I will use them this winter, then next winter, then the next winter and so on. I eventually expect to get my money's worth when all is said and done.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #8
silverds
2015 SS 6M

Drives: 2015 SS 6M
Quote:

My front tires were just replaced last week at 18,800 miles. My rears we're just replaced last week after about 14,000 miles. I drove daily on them around Charlotte, all year long. My car was garage kept at night and parked outside for 12 - 13 hours each day, all year long. I never experienced any cracking, of the GY's. As far as grip, they did not perform to spec when cold but they were not unmanageable. After a few miles of deliberately modest driving, they performed as well as I would expect any sport tire to perform in 35-45 degree weather.

I would have driven them again this winter if not for the praise that the Michellin, PSS's have received for off season and wet weather performance, and durability. I can't wait to see if the PSS's live up to the hype (and price) over this winter.

Last edited by silverds; 10-17-2013 at 04:51 PM.
silverds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #9
Bigtime53

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I was not going to chance it so I went ahead and bought the michelin pilot tires also. After reading all of the threads about how they crack and no traction I thought the price of the michelin tires were cheaper to buy than crashing my car up with loss of traction or a blow out.
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:39 PM   #10
joes407

Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
i visit my family in charlotte area often and usually cold holiday times of year. first couple times was on all 4 goodyears and yes they were a little slicker than normal but in my opinion no worse than when they start to get bald and you get caught in florida rain. now i have DR's on the back and still goodyears up front and ill be making my winter trips with the tires i use everyday down here. personally i wouldn't worry until you go a bit further north where the cold really sets in, just drive safer knowing your not sticking like in the summer
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:47 PM   #11
joes407

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverds View Post
My front tires were just replaced last week at 18,800 miles. My rears we're just replaced last week after about 14,000 miles. I drove daily on them around Charlotte, all year long. My car was garage kept at night and parked outside for 12 - 13 hours each day, all year long. I never experienced any cracking, of the GY's. As far as grip, they did not perform to spec when cold but they were not unmanageable. After a few miles of deliberately modest driving, they performed as well as I would expect any sport tire to perform in 35-45 degree weather.

I would have driven them again this winter if not for the praise that the Michellin, PSS's have received for off season and wet weather performance, and durability. I can't wait to see if the PSS's live up to the hype (and price) over this winter.
with that said id really like to hear from you what you think of the Michelins. ive been holding off on them because ive just never been impressed with any tire over the years with the style tread pattern the Michelins have. and, i believe half the people on here cant really tell and may think they grip better but only cuz theyre brand new and feel sticky and grippy.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:48 PM   #12
joes407

in the posts with cracked tires i thought they were extreme north like canada
Old 10-17-2013, 09:27 PM   #13
knowitman
Camaro fan since birth

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by qniknam View Post
Traction:
Cold: none
Warm: none
Hot: works great...

Lol...
I second that motion. I feel that I start losing a lot of grip when outside temps get to 55-60 degrees.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
knowitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:47 PM   #14
silverds
2015 SS 6M

Drives: 2015 SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes407 View Post
with that said id really like to hear from you what you think of the Michelins. ive been holding off on them because ive just never been impressed with any tire over the years with the style tread pattern the Michelins have. and, i believe half the people on here cant really tell and may think they grip better but only cuz theyre brand new and feel sticky and grippy.
I've only been on the Michelins, for 6 days now and my first impression is that they are very grippy. My inside tire used to spin when turning into a 45mph traffic using GYEF1G:2. Frankly, I could easily spin the tires if I gave enough pedal input in first gear in any conditions. The Michelins are much harder to break loose even when cool. I feel much more confident with the throttle on these tires. I chose a more square setup than most, on the Michelins, 285/35ZR20(104Y) Front, 295/35ZR20(105Y) Rear. Given the amount of grip I have experienced so far, I am pleased with this setup.

Besides traction, the most noticeable difference was in the ride. PTM5 on certain roads with GYEF1G:2 would make the car shudder and rattle. With the Michelins, the ride is noticeable softer even in Track Mode. My wife was the real test. She used to scold me when she thought I switched to what she calls "Jackass Mode" (PTM5 or Nannies off). Yesterday, I switched to PTM5 at the light before heading down a particular crappy road that even Tour mode couldn't easily cope with and she didn't notice. I can still perceive the change between Tour, Sport and Track but they are all more plush.

I have not yet tested them in the rain or in 50-Degree weather so I can't speak to my first impressions under those conditions yet.

My 6th day opinion...So far I am very pleased with the Michelins. My car feels better equipped for my daily driving on the Michelins. However, If I was going to track my car knowing only what I know right now, I would probably feel more confident on the Good Years. Simply, because I am more experienced with them.