Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 07-08-2011, 04:47 PM   #1
Juan C

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible
After Market Exhaust Does Not Fit!!!

I just installed the cherry bomb cat back exhaust on my 2011 Camaro SS Convertible but the supporting braces did not fit are they necessary & please help I don't know what to do
Juan C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:06 AM   #2
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan C View Post
I just installed the cherry bomb cat back exhaust on my 2011 Camaro SS Convertible but the supporting braces did not fit are they necessary & please help I don't know what to do
I addressed this issue here:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131860

When I first got my vert in Feb. Some do, some don't. Some have come up with vert-modded systems (Magnaflow cat back, Flowmaster-axel back only.) I believe Corsa, Borlas and SLP Cat backs also all fit. Stainless Works makes a 3" w a special adapter kit and Solo Performance has 2 systems about to release.

If the pipes fit but the braces wont, look into the stainless works convertible brace package, that may be the best route if you really are set on that particular system. Perhaps a few washers from home depot if the gap isn't too drastic.

Flowmaster took my system back with a 100% refund, as long as I provided photos of the obstructions. They were great about it.

Good luck, took me almost 6 months to decide on an exhaust, a lot of great ones out there, but still few specifically for the verts.
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:32 AM   #3
phdjent
Evan "FRESHAYR"

Drives: 2014 Stingray Z51, 2014 Jeep SRT
Yeah Drago77's got the right info. I had a Borla that fit. Now I've got the American Racing Catback. Return it and get one that we know fits. By the way, my Borla S Type is still for sale if you're interested.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:49 AM   #4
rjtssvert

Drives: 2011 2ss rs convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan C View Post
I'm not sure if this will help your situation but I have a magnaflow system on mine that would hit the braces going over bumps, so I just spaced them down with washers and am having no problems at all now.
rjtssvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:06 AM   #5
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjtssvert View Post
I'm not sure if this will help your situation but I have a magnaflow system on mine that would hit the braces going over bumps, so I just spaced them down with washers and am having no problems at all now.
Yours hits? I've got the Magnaflow Competition Cat-Back- I have about 1" + of clearance from all braces!

Just a tip for anyone doing a home install; loosely secure the bolts until the entire system is in place, then use a jack to "raise" the system up, close as possible to the undercarriage while you then completely tighten all the bolts.

Not claiming it'll cure all the clearance problems, but it'll help give that little extra that causes the occasional rubbing
Old 07-09-2011, 09:59 AM   #6
rjtssvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago77 View Post
Yours hits? I've got the Magnaflow Competition Cat-Back- I have about 1" + of clearance from all braces!

Just a tip for anyone doing a home install; loosely secure the bolts until the entire system is in place, then use a jack to "raise" the system up, close as possible to the undercarriage while you then completely tighten all the bolts.

Not claiming it'll cure all the clearance problems, but it'll help give that little extra that causes the occasional rubbing
Mine has the same amount of clearance but was still cluncking over hard bumps and dips. I have the street series on now but I also have a comp series still in the box I'm debating to put on.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:05 AM   #7
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: 4 banger Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finsfan View Post
Call the company you bought them from. Similar issues when the 2010 came out with different aftermarket parts.They should make good on it.If not return them and post who they are so someone else doesn't have the same issue.
+1
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:20 PM   #8
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Quote:
Mine has the same amount of clearance but was still cluncking over hard bumps and dips. I have the street series on now but I also have a comp series still in the box I'm debating to put on.
I've never heard the street series, but I love my comp! About to throw headers on too... a friend had headers and cam- sounds sick!
Old 07-09-2011, 07:02 PM   #9
MARTYBMW

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS RJT Convertible
Quote:

RJTSSVert:

I need to do the same thing with my magnaflows, do you happen to know the washer size? How many did you have to add? And finally was it difficult?

Born On 04/01/11
MARTYBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:53 PM   #10
rjtssvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTYBMW View Post
RJTSSVert:

I need to do the same thing with my magnaflows, do you happen to know the washer size? How many did you have to add? And finally was it difficult?
3/4 size washers, it wasn't difficult I jacked up the back of the car to make it a little easier. Under the front brace I used 6 washers and under the smaller one in back of it I used 4. The bolts are plenty long enough.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:46 AM   #11
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
Pretty much all 3" systems, and any systems with huge boxy mufflers do not fit the convertible.
MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:49 PM   #12
MARTYBMW

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS RJT Convertible
Quote:
3/4 size washers, it wasn't difficult I jacked up the back of the car to make it a little easier. Under the front brace I used 6 washers and under the smaller one in back of it I used 4. The bolts are plenty long enough.

Thanks for the info... I find it easier to get info from completed projects rather than try to reinvent the wheel.

Born On 04/01/11
MARTYBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:56 PM   #13
2011SSvert

Drives: 2011 SS Convertible
Does aftermarket exhaust void my warranty? Sorry, I'm no motorhead I just finally bought the car I'vd wanted since '69.
2011SSvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:17 PM   #14
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011SSvert View Post
Does aftermarket exhaust void my warranty? Sorry, I'm no motorhead I just finally bought the car I'vd wanted since '69.
No.

However if you mess with the tune also, then yes. Only the portion potentially linked to that mod.